Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another medal

Clive about how long have you been shooting arrows and if you dont mind why did you take up the sport for a christmas present me son got me a Backyard Bowyer book a very interesting read full of details and info have you made any for yourself and did they work and well done on the addition to your medal haul

The highest recorded poundage I could find were examples from the Mary Rose they were estimated by Robert Hardy at 150–160lb.

My mistake; I saw the programme with Robert Hardy and thought he said the weight was 170 lb. Maybe that was the poundage at which one broke ! My memory isn't what it once was.

Bob.

Clive about how long have you been shooting arrows and if you dont mind why did you take up the sport for a christmas present me son got me a Backyard Bowyer book a very interesting read full of details and info have you made any for yourself and did they work and well done on the addition to your medal haul

Psst Steve, its @Chas that shoots arras... not me :eusa-shhh: :shifty: :lol:

Maybe that was the poundage at which one broke ! My memory isn't what it once was.

Bob.
That rings a bell Bob, I remember watching a TV programme a long time ago either about the bows or about The Mary Rose and remember the bows being tested so it could well have been a test to destruction.

If you mean me Steve, I started in 2009, originally just as a means of getting some exercise, but because of a pre-existing back injury I am now having to restrict the amount I do, which is a real bugger.
I've never tried making a bow, as far as I know it is a fairly skilled job and knowing me I would make a right pigs ear of it.

Another medal, but not for me, as some of you know I and my wife both worked at The Royal Opera House for many years, I retired in 2007 my wife took early retirement last August.
I've managed to keep this quiet for ages, but it has been officially announced so I can reveal it.
My wife has been awarded a British Empire Medal for her services to The Arts in London.
We have no idea how that happened, she must have been proposed by someone but we don't know who, I suppose it will come out soon.

BEM 2.jpg

To say I'm thrilled for her is putting it mildly. :happy-jumpeveryone:

Medal number 1069

BEM.jpg

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Another medal, but not for me, as some of you know I and my wife both worked at The Royal Opera House for many years, I retired in 2007 my wife took early retirement last August.
I've managed to keep this quiet for ages, but it has been officially announced so I can reveal it.
My wife has been awarded a British Empire Medal for her services to The Arts in London.
We have no idea how that happened, she must have been proposed by someone but we don't know who, I suppose it will come out soon.

View attachment 138744
To say I'm thrilled for her is putting it mildly. :happy-jumpeveryone:

Medal number 1069

View attachment 138743
Chas,Congrats to you both.Your wife must have been tops in her job.Pat

Wow Chas, that’s something!

Congrats to Nicki, a very prestigious New Year present!

Back