Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

another... Pyrenees trip - 13 June-27th June 2011

Jon. - we are making it 2 days to andorra from sort on rB1.
Short day today to Castelbo andl a lovely campsite. Given complimentary beer on arrivall.
So only 4hrs drive today and bike for wife of top of mountain with ski resort and masts. Good views.
Rest day tomo for car
30degC....
The screen Gary lending us is brilliant - thanks! As pda keeps removing the track log...

No Wifi for several days, we are now in the small mountain country of Andorra.
Well, we have had brilliant weather for the last 3 days and today has dawned with blue skies again.
Its been hot, with temperature 25-30degC.

photos here in sub-menus
https://picasaweb.google.com/104534963818491337442

We contiuned along the RB1 off-road route from Vielha on Friday, round a mountain trail passed Montigarri, George had first of many mountain bike descents, a 20km/700m descent!.
Then onto Epost and novelty of driving up ski pistes and under chair lifts. To the coll d'Exiol, where George had another good bike ride, finishing with a descent down a ski centre to the camp at the village of Sort.

On Saturday, we had a short days driving, until late lunchtime.
Again spectacular driving, up another ski resort to a mountain top - Pic 'Orri, where George had a great run down on the bike for 10km all downhill!
The trail was still quite easy to drive,
We spent the afternoon and evening in lovely campsite in Castelbo, and vegged until it cooled down a bit later on, and went for a 10km bike ride, with 300m climb up the hills.

That night another UK couple, Ted and Anne, turned up in a modifed Toyota Hilux. They are on a "shakedown" trip here prior to a long overland trip from UK > Capetown.

We enjoyed a glass of wine with them and next day they joined us as a Toyota convoy to Andorra.
So on Sunday, we set off in Convoy with a nice rocky climb with some technical rocksteps upto Coll de Burebre. George jumped on her mountain bike for another good descent.
We passed several Andorra and Spanish registered landcrusiers and Jeeps.
Lunch spot overlooking Ferrera. Before we headed up to Tor, and the smugglers Trail into Andorra. A great drive up the stony track to a high coll on the border with Andorra.
We camped at Xixerella, and joined Anne and Ted for drinks again at their camp table.
Today is a day off the driving, and instead mountain biking for both of us. Hope to try the bike uplift on chairlifts.

yes a great trip!

spain_17june_11%252520046.JPG

IMG_3205.JPG

IMG_3237.JPG

DSC_0787.JPG

smugglers trail
IMG_3271.JPG

rest of uploaded to picassa

good mountain biking today with gondola and chairlifts to take us and bikes back up

went downb to Andorra-la-vella

horrible place! and couldnt find a supermarket...

back up in mountains to camp at same place for another night, we had left the tent up

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
didnt get any views on day 1 though :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

today, Andorra to Saldes (just East of Gosol)

again great weather and trails.

Had a slight diversion on the first descent after Andorra - another 20mile descent for the co-driver on her mountain bike!
came across sign saying track closed for forestry, so we carried on :) ..
then met a huge shredding machine blocking track, this was after i gingerly drove round a pickup...
the guys working said turn around and go back

wouldnt have been much of a backtrack to a road, to get passed it - but would have missed out on 5km of trail.
but i spotted a black dashed line track on map, that could go round it! it was very overgown = scratchy..
and 2 fallen trees, that I couldnt move by hand - but a tow strap and landcruiser could!!! :thumbup:
and then we came out back on the trail 300m after the obstructing machine!

The Lleto (abandoned village) techincal trail was good. but co-driver didnt like it, got out and said you cant go down there! and refused to take pictures! of me driving down the steep washed out section.. marked "difficile" on roadbook.
she walked down the hairpin section, then decided that was worse and took a photo of me driving down the washed out track, after i had driven it!
anyway, all was well, and we got through it unscathed.

spotted your campsite Jon et al, and the great spot just after it at coll, but after 11 days or so on the road, we needed a campsite with a washing machine! at one of the Pedraforac campsites, just east of Saldes

well todays pics for 21st added here: (comments/captions by co-driver...)

https://picasaweb.google.com/1045349638 ... _21june_11

and rest
https://picasaweb.google.com/104534963818491337442

IMG_3299.JPG

IMG_3300.JPG

IMG_3313.JPG

IMG_3312.JPG

IMG_3321.JPG

Nice bit of improvisation Andy :cool:

Woodmen of the world are alike then - we had a similar issue in the Peaks for the sake of 500 yards of tree trimming... :roll:

after the obstruction I Then I texted Mal Eade (member on here) as he is doing this route next week, but forgot to say it was on RB2/RB3 when i said WP26!, he phoned me straight away and said he was just coming upto that waypoint!!, but he was on RB1 route!!! the one we did last week - sorry Mal! - what a co-incidence!

what amazes me about this route/s is the variety of terrain and scenry - changes so much!
even in one day

Yes, the way it changes from one side of a hill to the other depending on the prevailing sunshine/wind is quite astonishing too :cool:

I wanna come back :cry:

:mrgreen:

Quite a full-on day today of offroading, after an easy loop to start with!
enjoyed the washed-out descent off the coll in forest

one of antiroll-bar stirup bushes at front mangled and one of the bushes on the link bar..
and found cause, my DIY centre bashplate had some extra bracing, but the bash plate has been massaged on this trip! and antirollbar was pushing on it...
that will explain the creaking noise.

lucklily i have box of spare old parts that werent too bad condition, so fitted them
and removed the offending bracing on the bash plate

rear transfer box oil seal has slight weep, but oil still seeps out when fill plug removed - so level OK for now

todays photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/1045349638 ... _22june_11

some samples

flex
IMG_3345.JPG

vultures
IMG_3353.JPG

IMG_3358.JPG

IMG_3359.JPG

IMG_3370.JPG

Looks like you'll be getting to the road changes at Ripoll today? Going to be interesting to see if there's a way through to the tracks for you or if the promise of a nice pool curtails investigations :)

Yes, indeed it does. I still need to get mine sorted - to busy with work and currently out of the country.

Looks like you are having a good time Andy.

Suspension much better now at front - now that front ARB isnt snagging on my bent skid-plate...

At Camping Montagut tonight, and pool nice and warm!
very busy though, lots of noisy-crying brats around... since its a public holiday in Spain tomorrow...

Had a peek down the road at Ripoll and lots of traffic cones along the road, so we didnt bother hunting as prefered a faster drive and yes the pool was too tempting!!
your track log has been usefull, but we decided against lapping the roundabout at Olot
saw the other detour through the narrow street the other day too!, decided against that :)

tamer tracks today, but interesting enough driving.

did a 4-5km ride this evening, went over the amazing bridge and gorge by the campsite.
then enjoyed the pool

last night a group of Polish offroaders turned up about 9pm at the campsite, in 3x disco and one hilux.
I went over for a chat, they were doing RB4 then RB3, they were finding the days long! and thought 3 days for RB4 was not long enough. The Hilux had some camper conversion on the back, and this towered over 1m above it, so they couldnt do trails with big side leans or overhanging branches! a bit restrictive.

going to take 3-days to drive back through France, and get some more cycling done.

We have made it!
to the Mediterrean town of Collioure in France.
IMG_3405.JPG

Over 800km since leaving Fos in France, then 9 days of travelling through the Pyrenees in Spain.
We are now at sealevel in southern France, after a week at 1000-2400m altitude.

About 60% of the 781km travelled was offroad trails.

The last day was relatively quick, climbing up into the hills after leaving Montagut and passing the historic

bridge.
IMG_3376.JPG

We had a short delay whilst a woodsman was using his horse to pull logs he had felled, then he rode it up a

steep bank.

IMG_3383.JPG

We soon left the hills and travelled across a flat area of vineyards and olive groves, one of the highlights being a

open market in a small village of Llers, where we bought fresh corn bread and cake from a stall.
Then we had the BIG ford crossing, water was coming over the bonnet so we were glad of snorkel fitted to the

landcruiser!
After a picnic lunch in the shade of an olive tree we climbed one of the last colls - Coll de Banyulls - to the

border between Spain and France.
A high mountain traverse followed along dirt tracks with views over the Mediterrean Sea, and hilltop forts built

during the Spainish Civil Warm.
We arrived in Coullioure about 3pm and after checking our campsite options, we settled for one (Criques de Porteils)

on a clifftop, a bit of an ordeal checking in and locating a camping spot - being driven around in a buggy to

confirm our chosen plot.
After setting up camp, we waited for the day to cool down a bit, before heading out on mountain bikes to explore

Collioure, a lovely town and tourist destination, famous for fishing of anchovies - so we bought some for dinner. We

enjoyed a pint in a bar on the waterfront.
On the way back from camp, we stopped off at "Banyuls Domaine Reno" to stock up on red wine, 3 bottles and a 5litre

mini-cask - fun carrying back on bikes!
IMG_3417.JPG

Another open air dinner in the campsite - still warm at 9.30pm

tomorrow- the Massif Central in France!

Looks like you're having a great trip :thumbup:
excellent pics and a great read too :cool: :cool:

Back