Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

another... Pyrenees trip - 13 June-27th June 2011

AndyCook said:
We arrived in Coullioure about 3pm and after checking our campsite options, we settled for one (Criques de Porteils)
on a clifftop, a bit of an ordeal checking in and locating a camping spot - being driven around in a buggy to confirm our chosen plot.
Don't get Gav started going on about that camp site again :lol:

Worst campsite ever (apart from the view), we were literally pushing money into their hands and they would not accept it until we went through their ridiculous procedures...

Jon Wildsmith said:
AndyCook said:
We arrived in Coullioure about 3pm and after checking our campsite options, we settled for one (Criques de Porteils)
on a clifftop, a bit of an ordeal checking in and locating a camping spot - being driven around in a buggy to confirm our chosen plot.
Don't get Gav started going on about that camp site again :lol:
AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Hahaa - I didn't know where you had camped in collioure! But after arriving and speaking to the commadonts and being told procedures with milatary precision It soon dawned on me!!! It was the same, we had stopped at another but I was really small.
It wasn't too bad and nice to dip in sea!

We tried cycling over the bridge but nearly fell off!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
camped in Village of Orcet tonight, just on south edge of Clermont-Ferrand.
got here early afternoon, then went for a 15km bike ride, over some of the old volcanoes that are in this area - Puys du Dome. It was hot, so we soon found refuge in beers at a bar in the village! and watched a wedding.
Probably going to head to Lac d'orient tomorrow - where Jon and others camped - do you have the location of the campsite - was it any good?
couldnt have done the drive there in one day!
we will be off the motorways most of tomorrow and crossing Loire valley, so hope to find some winerys!

Home now, after long drive from Hull
vehicle unloaded and happy!

thanks for the screen loan Gary - greatly appreciated - sorry about the fingermarks on it - any issues let me know ASAP - i think i dropped off all the parts/power adapters/pointer

Gosh, that went by quickly Andy... Welcome back safely, glad you had a good trip :cool:

wish i was still in Spain though...

3086 miles
about £800 derv...i think

lots of grins! and memories, great trip

around Lille area on the motorway, had a french reg- white shorty 90-series overtake us, then pull in front of us and flash hazards, he slowed down, so I passed, driver gave me a thumbs up and wave as we waved to him, then he passed again and sped off - not sure if a member on here, or just a LC fan!

35degC in northern France yesterday was a killer, now back to 13degC in NE Scotland...

will have to return to Spain, but also thinking of Germany, Poland, Alps (if closer to scotland) just need to find equivalent to the spain roadbooks or other greenlane type driving there

think a rooftent will be a must though next time, after 11-12 campsites, it gets a chore to pack up normal tent each time
also a better awning, the cheap one i got was OK - but already bits broken and a good quality one a must

for the roadbooks, i think the timings possibly a bit ambitious i.e. lead to long days, we did RB1 and RB2 in 4 days for each, and that was OK, wouldnt want to do them in 3 days. its good to have some time off at end of day and not be rushing in the evenings,
sometimes we liked to stop driving by 3-4pm after a 08.30 start

RB2 was more technically interesting in terms of 4wd driving, but RB1 had the much bigger mountain feel and views
so doing both was brilliant

3086 miles
615 litre diesel roughly
£850 cost of fuel
av 22.8 mpg

got 27.5 mpg on french motorway when crawling at 60mph all day
23-26 when going about 70-75
and offroad it was average 15mpg....

going to suss out total climbing if i can in oziexplorer!

lost GPS data for first 3 hours of the offroading
but for rest of trip the stats are

Distance(km) 781.097
Duration (hh:mm:ss) 50:41:31
Gross ascent(m) 24747.6

Did you hear any more from Mal while you were there Andy?

No - only the once when he phoned me after I told him about logging vehicles blocking RB2/RB3 (but i didnt say which roadbook, so he thought i meant RB1)

Back