Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Any one run TomTom on Android 4.0.4 ?

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
I recently got a newer phone, running Android 4.

I want to know if there is a android TomTom that I can load onto it?

Any one have any ideas?

Any suggestions that don't cost money? :)

Which maps for UK and Europe?

Gra

Try OsmAnd.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Hi Rob,

Thanks,

Looked at them, but they seem to not be running TomTom's maps, and need internet connection for locations.

TomTom as you may know works with no internet connections, which keeps costs further down.

I see TomTom Europe it is available now in Google.Play, for around €70.

Bit rich still so I might just have to look elsewhere where to find TomTom Europe for a lower cost. :)

Gra

Last edited:
Hi gra. I use co pilot live and it works very well in the uk. Europe maps are available but ive not used them. Drop me a pm if your interested in a copy with uk and eu maps

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I've been using co-pilot as well. Have driven through quite a bit of europe with it (Germany, France, Switzerland & Italy.) The one key difference I find between it and TomTom (not android based one) is that at times the turns/intersections & instructions aren't as clear as what Tom Tom's are. As a result I have missed more turn offs using co-pilot than I have with Tom Tom. So i've been tempted to look at the Android version of Tom Tom for this reason ....

Hi all,

And thanks for the great comments.

I first used Tomtom, way back, and got to know it well.

Then I got a Garmin, not so good in my opinion
Then I got an IGO8 (Teleatlas) not as good as Tomtom, but much better than Garmin.

So now I would like to try the Tomtom again, on this super-duper high end Lenovo phone.
(Kicks the iphones well into the bushes - sorry to say)

So without pushing my luck too fat, if any one knows where I can get the Tomtom Europe for Android, at best price possible ( ie zero cost :) ) then please shout up.

Gra.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Keep us posted with how you go - i'm very tempted to make the switch myself.

I got hold of tomtom maps and updates via www.navitotal.com

But for windows mobile pda
It was quite complex procedure

Not sure if there are android equivalent here

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

OsmAnd does not use TomTom maps but the OSM maps they use are a lot more detailed then any map I have seen short of OS maps. Also you can download the maps to your phone so no need to use data when using the app. Worth giving it a go.

OsmAnd does not use TomTom maps but the OSM maps they use are a lot more detailed then any map I have seen short of OS maps. Also you can download the maps to your phone so no need to use data when using the app. Worth giving it a go.

Thanks Rob,

Actually I guess I could be tempted to give them a try.

Do I need to buy the OsmAnd navigation software, or is it "gettable" some where?

Gra.

It's free from Google play and you get to download 10 maps before you need to pay for it.

I used it Morocco to find tracks in the Sahara that were not on any other map that I had seen

Thanks Rob,

I will see about the downloading.

When you say "10 maps"

What do you mean?

If I only download 1 map of UK, does it mean I no need pay any thing?

Gra.

Yes it will be free, but you will need to download 4 maps for complete coverage of the UK. But you only need to pay £4.99 for the complete version where you can download as may maps as you have space on your phone for.

Only issue with it is that it does not do postcodes, but will have almost every road/track on it.

Thanks Rob,

I will be onto a download later today,

£4,99 isn't going to break the bank just yet.

Do you know what format POI's it can accept?

Ie, OV2 for TT or CSV, or TXT etc, etc, etc,

Then I can run a POI converter that I use.

Gra.

I know it works with GPX files, and it seems that you can also get GPX POI's so I would guess GPX.

Back