Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Any problems to look out for.

v8jeep

Im just about to go look at an 01 landcruiser with supposing d4d engine and its done 140000 miles. Just spoke to a mechanic who said that he has reapired many d4d engines in the cars and were on 03 upwards heads cracking and gaskets going and injectors and a whole load of other things. Would a 2001 cruiser be the same kind of engine or did they start altering things on a 03 ?? Has anyone got any pointers they can put to me !!!. Any help quickly would be good as hoping to set of soon ish. Thanks :D

What a load of cr*p! There are probably 10's of thousands of D4d units powering everything from the Landcruiser to the Dyna Bus to the Hilux throughout the world! They are essentially the same bottom end as the 1KZTE with a better head on them.

Mine has 140,000 miles on it, Grahams has north of 250,000 miles on his and i know of units that have 380,000 miles on them all without any of the issues you mentioned.

As long as it has been well serviced and the rest of the truck is in good nick, you wont be disappointed.

Thanks for the reply. The engine code is 1kd. This does mean its a d4d doesnt it ?? Cheers. :)

Thanks again. I went for a look at this one and got a lift down with the guy who bought my van and went to see this 2001 and it was a dog unfortunatly and ended up getting the train back up. :oops: :thumbdown: Is its hard to find a manual 163hp model thats not been down and through every field of its life for around 6K ?? This one had all underneath rusty as ever and big scrapes around the bumpers the brakes nearly touched the floor and the hand brake light kept flickering and when braking the front end was wallering around and dipping very easy. I wouldnt think they are that soft on the front end. Im starting to think ive not got enough to spend on a 2001 or newer. All i can do is keep looking and :pray: :think:

Where abouts are you mate? If you want to to take a look over mine, i'm on leave for two weeks.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for that mate. Im up in cleveland though right oop norf.. Are you selling yours or was it just to have a look at a good one and get familiar with them ?? :thumbup:

v8jeep said:
Thanks again. I went for a look at this one and got a lift down with the guy who bought my van and went to see this 2001 and it was a dog unfortunatly and ended up getting the train back up. :oops: :thumbdown: Is its hard to find a manual 163hp model thats not been down and through every field of its life for around 6K ?? This one had all underneath rusty as ever and big scrapes around the bumpers the brakes nearly touched the floor and the hand brake light kept flickering and when braking the front end was wallering around and dipping very easy. I wouldnt think they are that soft on the front end. Im starting to think ive not got enough to spend on a 2001 or newer. All i can do is keep looking and :pray: :think:
I think you need to really "up your buget"
If your looking to get a decent one, with the D4-d (1KD-FTV) then you need around £8000 I guess.
The 1KD-FTV is probably Toyotas most mowerful / fuel efficient engine yet produced.
Easy to get over 200 bhp, with good reliability.
looking at £6000 vehicles, is only going to waste your time, and leave you dissapointed.

Graham

Back