Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Land Cruiser owner 120

Vonklinker

Country Flag
uk
Evening, just purchased a 2006 d4d diesel with 50k on the clock have come from a discovery 1 and the driving experience is very much better - so much power!

Previous owner had prepped and taken the vehicle on a few adventures - to which I would like to add! no real plans as of yet, just enjoying the drive :smile:

Any info on what to bear in mind when looking over the vehicle, and also how to identify the exact engine model would be much appreciated !

I am also on the look out for some middle seats in cloth... any lead to breakers or has anyone got a garage full of parts :blush:

Welcome, yep rust can be an issue with the 120. Are your front seats cloth? if so it will be an LC3.

IMG_5730.jpeg
IMG_5729.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5727.jpeg
    IMG_5727.jpeg
    401.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5726.jpeg
    IMG_5726.jpeg
    576.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5725.jpeg
    IMG_5725.jpeg
    492.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5724.jpeg
    IMG_5724.jpeg
    504 KB · Views: 23
Thanks for the info. Yes it’s low spec but has rear locker and is on new springs/shocks with 30mm lift. Just getting into what has been added by previous owner

Nice. Very low miles for that vintage, and underneath looks very good from what I can see with the underbody protection sprayed on. Keep it up and it won't develop into the known rotten issues associated with these.
All your engine details will be on your registration document, probably 1kdj and with the kw rating for it.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice. Very low miles for that vintage, and underneath looks very good from what I can see with the underbody protection sprayed on. Keep it up and it won't develop into the known rotten issues associated with these.
All your engine details will be on your registration document, probably 1kdj and with the kw rating for it.
Ah yes, says KDJ120k thanks

That undersealing looks good, in the spring i'd give it a good wash underneath paying special attention to cleaning out the chassis, and as well as topping up any missing top coat give the insides of the chassis a good coating of the treatment of your choice, it might already have been done but you won't know for sure unless you poke a camera up its bum.

edit, no it hasn't been done inside, if you zoom in to the pics you can see no overspill of underseal has gone inside, no point now the salt is down unless you have a dry warm garage to work in after you've washed everything down and blasted inside the nooks and crannies preferably with a pressure washer lance and let it dry several days.

We've done a lot of rustproofing here between us, we all have our favourite methods which suit us, don't think anyone would argue rust is about the only thing that kills these off.

When looking over the truck pay particluar attention to the calipers, these need cleaning working and lubing correctly every year in my humble, 4 piston jobbies at the front and in due course the lower inside piston is the first to start seizing up, you can delay this by years if you give the brakes some TLC every year (had to replace mine at 17 years), rears don't suffer to the same extent, thankfully the park brake is the good old drum inside disc manual type, so robust and trouble free with periodic servicing.
Other than the usual requirements for servicing i don't think there's a much better choice of all purpose vehicle out there than a Prado 120 or 150. i liked the 90 a lot but it had the issue of the suspension bottom ball joints being under consant pressure and possible collapse always on the cards, like Morris 1000s of yore.

And pay special attention to the inner sills at both ends, they get heavy weathering at these points so keep them coated well, they can perforate if neglected, doesn't help that the side steps are bolted to these sills.

I would have a good scrape on the back axle. There’s usually a reason they throw that thick black shite everywhere.

Back