Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone know about Radio controlled cars?

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
Little lad dug this out of the corner of the workshop. I'd forgot all about it.

He really wants me to "make it go".

Is it just a matter of ordering a cheap controller off ebay? If so which one?

I have distant memories of Crystals or something...

IMG_20211215_124833.jpg
IMG_20211215_124846.jpg

Hmm, there more expensive than I'd hoped.
What ever happened to good old throw away Chinese tat?..

I hate cheap throw away Chinese tat.

That is, Until I need some cheap throw away Chinese tat..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
30 year old Jap tat

spiders, didnt think it was that old, what happened there?..

what you saying shayne? put it on ebay, get 80 quid for it and it goes to a good home, then get little man some cheap chinese tat that doesnt matter when i drive over it in the unimog?. :D

Well, everyday is a school day. I've been into RC cars and Heli's etc since leaving school but I've never heard of a Jet Hopper! With the cars I started with Mardave, then Tamiya and finally FG Modellsport, I still have a couple. The first Tamiya models were very well made but expensive. They did a 6-7.2v, 4wd, 3 speed truck with a Hilux or a Chevvy Blazer body which is the one I still have. They are quite rare now and in good nick fetch more than they were new, particularly the Hilux. The FG Beetle has a 23cc Komatsu Zenoah 2 smoke motor as used in garden strimmers etc, a bit of a weapon TBH!

In truth to my shame i've never had a play with an RC toy of any kind , bought my grandson one and the batteries were dead before it was my turn - i never seen it again the little shit :lol:

And yeah sell it to a collector coz there 10 a penny massive choice out there nowadays and its a toy a kids supposed to try and break .

Join a RC club on line or Facebook Mike, and just ask if anyone's got an old Controller knocking about... Or look on Facebook Market place..... Kids normally smash them to bits or Drive them off the edge of a Quarry..... Then they are left Just Holding the controller ( So to Speak)... There must be loads of 'em' Knocking about

Mardave was the best and most cost effective make back in the day when my lads were into such things.
At one time based in Leicester, now under new management in Diss, how they compare to the old Mardave i couldn't say.

Where they excelled was unlike the Japanese radio controlled kit cars of the day you built these fully yourself and you could buy every single part for your kit car at fair prices, quick and stable rc cars compared to many Japanese models due to the chassis and suspension design, which with proper oil filled dampers (you could vary the damping rate) and suitable spring rates and an aluminium base plate the car was built on they could be driven over rough ground without sustaining damage, simple and robust.
I'm probably way out of date now and things will no doubt have moved on.

1639686024275.png

ordered this last night, £15 inc postage... he can jump/crash it to his hearts content.

probable put the jet hopper on top of his wardrobe where its dry and safe.

Back