Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone removed their side steps..

I

Iirc gary did something similar.

I kept the stock steps (I like how they look) and built a slider underneath.

20131001_193250.jpg

downloadfile-1.jpg

Very little difference in clearance if no steps. They've taken quite a few knocks too.

My sliders are quite straightforward - two 50mm diameter steel bars (one each side), each 5ft long, welded to two 50x50mm sections of box steel, welded to plates which bolt above and below the chassis rail each side.

Hammerited, wrapped in griptape and good to use as a step, as well as obviously protecting the sills from bashes and strong enough to hi-lift off.

The best bit? The pair cost me a fiver as they were used scaffold poles, plus a little extra for my local fabricator to knock up the box and plates.

Owen

I like what you have done there gary and its something id want to do at some point.

How did you attach to the chassis?

I spent a bit of time laid underneath planning it as had to work round the exhaust. Quite a simple design on the whole.

They bolt/clamp to the chassis, there's a strip of rubber sheet on top just to stop noises where they touch against the step brackets.
The exhaust guard is level with the gearbox gaurd so lose no clearance.

20130930_174031.jpg

What section is it gary? 2"×1"×1/8"?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I like Gary820 solution for the aesthetics with a purpose, the steps alone are easily damaged off road but do have a surprising amount of protection - when I took mine off, the sills lasted about 2hours before they were trashed and needed replacement. Which turned out to be quite a job - box section and scaffold tube as the steps / deflectors.

Do I win an award for the scruffiest (still road legal) 80 on here :)

sill.jpg

[QUOT="Roger, post: 1458502, member: 6410"]I like Gary820 solution for the aesthetics with a purpose, the steps alone are easily damaged off road but do have a surprising amount of protection - when I took mine off, the sills lasted about 2hours before they were trashed and needed replacement. Which turned out to be quite a job - box section and scaffold tube as the steps / deflectors.

Erm, isnt no bonnet a mot failure?.:):auto-crash:

I hope 3mm wall of anything is strong enough because i'm playing with it now , and if your going to do it why not make a feature out of the step/slider .

DSCF2507.JPG

I like Gary820 solution for the aesthetics with a purpose, the steps alone are easily damaged off road but do have a surprising amount of protection - when I took mine off, the sills lasted about 2hours before they were trashed and needed replacement. Which turned out to be quite a job - box section and scaffold tube as the steps / deflectors.

View attachment 133199

You should have seen the 80 I did yesterday it made Chas 80 look like show room.

I think it had just ran down a ditch and driving home.

Back