Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone removed their side steps..

Bernese

Country Flag
england
Personal choice but I like the clean look without side steps. Might put something different on later but for now is anyone running without and if so could you post a pic as I'm interested to see what you've done with the mud flaps or just binned them... Ta

Des

I took mine off today il get a pic for you tomo but iv just left the mud flaps on they have a cut out where the step went but I thought best leave them on

The mud flaps were missing when I bought my truck and the side steps were all shapes. Took them off too and it looked handsome.

It depends also on what you're going to do with it.

I had ARB bars fitted front & rear and a 4" lift. I could get in & out so I didn't care, but I did a fair bit of Offroad and stone tracks, and realized the mud flaps actually do a lot. The fronts of my sills and the side quarters of the rear bumper were as if I'd had them sandblasted!

It's then I went for a complete set of new OEM flaps and over-arches and because nobody else could get in and out of the truck, ARB side steps.

It was an evolution, but I like it..,

I took mine off today il get a pic for you tomo but iv just left the mud flaps on they have a cut out where the step went but I thought best leave them on

Mine are off now Sam and like you the front mud flaps are on but I'm going to take them both off and see how it goes..

Mine are off now Sam and like you the front mud flaps are on but I'm going to take them both off and see how it goes..

I think Des, leaving the fronts off will end up with the truck covered every time its wet. Lots of folks take the steps off and fit/ have made rock sliders which can double up as side steps and protect the sills/ bodywork when off roading.
This my GS which never had sidesteps fitted.
DSCF0272.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
yep they are peculiar to the GS model which was sold in 95-96. It was a lower spec model notably with steel wheels, cloth trim and only five seats, air con was a grand+ option. It also didn't have ABS or a VC in the transfer box or indeed factory sive steps. It was known as " Farmer spec" and was a whopping £10k less than a VX model.

My 105 does not have side steps. I would really like to get some. Ideally, sliders to protect. The bish bars that Clive has would be awesome, but hard to find here.

IMG_4429.JPG
IMG_4435.JPG
Removed my side bars which were too rusty and in danger of falling off and the mud flaps which were harbourage points for salt etc
Bodywork now repaired but want to get some rock sliders once inner and outer sills get replaced

View attachment 133130 View attachment 133131 Removed my side bars which were too rusty and in danger of falling off and the mud flaps which were harbourage points for salt etc
Bodywork now repaired but want to get some rock sliders once inner and outer sills get replaced

I have a very similar issue with mine Ben, if the sections were available it's a relatively straight forward repair. Can't belive someone doesn't make them so will need to source ... Where did you get your sections pal..

IMG_4481.JPG
IMG_4483.JPG
IMG_4483.JPG
I have a very similar issue with mine Ben, if the sections were available it's a relatively straight forward repair. Can't belive someone doesn't make them so will need to source ... Where did you get your sections pal..
Just got one section which was the rear near side wheel arch section. You could see through the old one. This was from cruiser world with new rear doors too and a load if other stuff on a pallet.
Here is the after pics once local bodyshop made the other panels and inner wheel arch sections and generally sorted it:
(Dont know how to stop pics joining at the top!!)

I use my side steps all the time for getting in and reaching stuff on the roof rack, rtt, roof box, timber etc. Couldnt really imagine having nothing at all to stand on.

I use my side steps all the time for getting in and reaching stuff on the roof rack, rtt, roof box, timber etc. Couldnt really imagine having nothing at all to stand on.

I'd be lost without my sidesteps for the same reasons, but they'd be more appropriate if they were integrated with a slider. It wouldn't be difficult for a fabricator to do this.

I
I'd be lost without my sidesteps for the same reasons, but they'd be more appropriate if they were integrated with a slider. It wouldn't be difficult for a fabricator to do this.
Iirc gary did something similar.

My 105 does not have side steps. I would really like to get some. Ideally, sliders to protect. The bish bars that Clive has would be awesome, but hard to find here.

They're quite a complicated shape when you look closely and I doubt that you could get them made as well as ARB produce them. The ARB failure (if you can call it that) is that they are integral with their steps, and teir steps don't pretend to be sliders even though they do offer protection.

Now, if ARB sold the bish bars separately (which they don't), you could give them to a slider fabber and have the best of both worlds.

such is life it seems...

Assuming the steps are the same as the 90 series i considered just drilling out the rivets that hold the ally step to the steel and riveting it onto a length of 1x6" (approx) box section steel after i'd welded everything up to make chassis brackets .

I've got a feeling @Chris has made some nice sliders up in the past for the 80s.

I'm going to throw caution to the wind here and mention my old Disco again! The OEM side steps collapsed due to corrosion when I was washing the thing one day so I did just as Shayne has suggested. Removed the steel tubing framework (what was left of it) plus the brackets and replaced the lot with new heavier gauge steel. As steel fabrication work goes I reckon it should pretty easy to beef up the LC sidesteps this way.

Back