Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone used Japarts?

BRE Fabrications LTD

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Well it looks like my front wheel bearings are poked :thumbdown:

Has anyone here used Japarts before?

Front bearings for an 80 are coming in at £62 each with a 12 month guarantee on parts...

Is this a good price?

Also how far can you push these bearings, I've got a decent amount of play in my front wheels (pulled and tugged at 12 and 6 o clock position) but would really like to make Shropshire this weekend. I know that you can tighen them up but I don't have a 54mm socket and Halfwits don't stock 'em so doesn't look like I'll be able to get hold of one before the weekend... :evil:

So do i chance a 400 mile ropund trip this weekend or am i asking for trouble :?

Any info much appreciated.

Ryan Thomson said:
Well it looks like my front wheel bearings are poked :thumbdown:

Has anyone here used Japarts before?

Front bearings for an 80 are coming in at £62 each with a 12 month guarantee on parts...

Is this a good price?

Also how far can you push these bearings, I've got a decent amount of play in my front wheels (pulled and tugged at 12 and 6 o clock position) but would really like to make Shropshire this weekend. I know that you can tighen them up but I don't have a 54mm socket and Halfwits don't stock 'em so doesn't look like I'll be able to get hold of one before the weekend... :evil:

So do i chance a 400 mile ropund trip this weekend or am i asking for trouble :?

Any info much appreciated.

If you havent a socket giv them a tap with a small chiesel and hammer. I know it isnt good practise but better than nothing.

I would tighten them up slightly ryan.

Had alot of issues with bearings to be honest. I could do the bearings slightly cheaper TBH.

IF anything happens at the weekend we can fix it where it stands.

If you decide to tighten them,dont go to crazy as it may make them totally give up sooner.

Karl

Problem is I wont be able to get hold of a 54mm socket before the weekend :thumbdown:
Any chance you can bring a 54mm socket along, just in case... :?

Always keep spares and the tools to do the job mate :thumbup:

Everytime we go anywhere i always need spares etc :oops:

Cool :thumbup:

Will go pull the covers and give the hammer and chisel thing a go before sat.

That looks like a lot for bearings of unknown quality, Ryan - get hold of Ian. He will almost certainly have them in stock - obviously getting them in hand for the weekend may be challenging. Alternatively, give Julian Voelcker a shout - you could probably pick them up from him en route :idea: And he's done a few bearings in his time, so he might even lend you a hand to swap them over :mrgreen:

My suggestion would be to open the hub up and inspect the bearings first - if they're dry, falling apart or in horrible shape, you need to know that before hitting the open road. Faffing with the locknuts without a 54mm socket isn't going to be fun but you could get new locknuts from Ian for a few £££ if you butcher them. As Karl suggests, you may just need tightening but best to check their condition before blindly tightening and hoping for the best. Your truck looked to be well maintained when you got it, so I'd imagine the bearings probably just need retorquing :thumbup:

I have a new Koyo outer wheelbearing sitting here, plus a 54mm socket (& locknuts and thrust washers) - all of which you're welcome to use/borrow but distance is the problem, although I am a fair bit closer to you than Ian :mrgreen: Give me a shout if I can help! Perhaps there is someone nearer to you with a 54mm socket for starters?

Cheers,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Andrew Prince said:
My suggestion would be to open the hub up and inspect the bearings first - if they're dry, falling apart or in horrible shape, you need to know that before hitting the open road.

Sound advice as always :thumbup:

I'm going to pull the covers tomorrow after work and see if i can manage to get the lock nuts off and have a look at the bearings. The play seems to have come on quite suddenly so hopefully a re torque will do.

Thanks for the offer of the tools and bearing but the distance is a bit of an issue. Much appreciated nonetheless.

Andrew Prince said:
Perhaps there is someone nearer to you with a 54mm socket for starters?
I have a 54mm socket, just inside the M25 at junction 28, if that's any help to you Ryan.

Cheers.

I have 2 x 54 mm sockets in the truck. Please don't use a chisel on them. I can put my digital tug-ometer scales in so that we can set them up properly. I don't think I have a wheel bearing in stock, but I have whole hubs built up ready to slot on. I have tab washers, wheel nuts, gaskets, snap rings etc etc. We can rebuild it. Happy to bring a hub if you just send me a bearing set later to build your hub back up. We can do a swappsie if you like.

Chris

I think ryan has got a few options now :thumbup:

Good that people pull together.

The chiesel thing isnt good but neither is thinking he is going to drive 200 miles knowing it is loose.

All good once he gets to us. If it was me i WOULD NOT set off without doing something with it.Been there and done it.

Karl

Bloody hell Chris I just had a socket to borrow :D

That, my friend, is because your truck didn't catch fire and nearly set fire to your f**** house!

I have quite a few spares. Most with very few miles on them.

Chris

I know - when i charge my batteries i think of you! :angry-extinguishflame:

try calling your local bearing supplier to see what they charge. koyo part numbers are on ih8mud for reference. Should be a bit less i think.

Wow guys! Thanks for the responses and offers. Really much appreciated.

I'm taking simon up on his offer to lend me the tools. Logistically it makes the most sense. I do want to at least tighten them up before the weekend.

Chris I'll let you know how the re-torquing goes.

Thanks again everyone. Just goes to show what a great bunch we have on this forum.

No probs Ryan. I shall look into my parts cavern before the weekend and pick out an emergency bundle. These are Landcrusiers after all and a few miles on tarmac ain't going to break one. Unless your wheel is about to drop of completely, a wee tweak should do you fine before you leave.

I'll pack for surgery before I set off on Saturday.

Chris

SimonD said:
I know - when i charge my batteries i think of you! :angry-extinguishflame:
Funny you should mention that Simon. We had exactly that happen at work on Wednesday, a faulty battery charger set the vehicle I work on alight :angry-fire: Fortunately some speedy action, and three CO2 fire extinguishers later it was out :angry-extinguishflame: A few new components and a six hour rewire, we were back where we started :roll: Still, that saved a few million pound insurance claim :clap:

:text-threadjacked: Sorry for the off topic. Hope your wheel bearing play is all sorted now Ryan.

Back