Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ARB diff lock vs factory rear locker

roy

Country Flag
scotland
hi all

if anyone knows , is there any benefit to using an arb style rear locker compered to the factory one ?

also has anyone fitted a front air locker on a colorado ?
can the front drive line take a front locker ?

any help will be great , i have 2 spare diffs that are going to get rebuilt with different gearing and want to know if it is worth fitting are lockers at the same time.

cheers roy

Roy, the ARB is much more than simply a locking mechanism The carrier replaces the OEM one - keeping your original ring gear. They are much stiffer and stop the diff from flexing. Sounds incredible that they can flex, but this is a major cause of stripping the teeth. Having said that, factory rear lockers are very good as long as you aren't a nutter.

I fitted a front ARB locker and used sensibly they are fine. Ragged too hard, you will break half shafts. It's really worth looking back through old threads on this issue as it's been covered over and over and over and.... In fact only a week or so ago from memory. The question 'Just how much benefit will I get from a front locker' has been answered on here.

Answer? How much spare cash have to got to [strike:1n20mj69]waste[/strike:1n20mj69] spend on a toy? :whistle:

Chris

it is my opinion that the font suspension set up on a Colorado limits the effectiveness of a front locker, Winch is more cost effective option or thats what I have found out

Agreed. There isn't much that the front locker will get you out of that the centre and rear wouldn't. In other words when you are stuck you are stuck. Winch or a pull out is the only option. For the price of a locker fitted you could probably do front and rear winch. As the situation is so often caused by mud under the sump pan, locking the front wheels doesn't do much as your wheels aren't in contact anyway. OK nice to play with and there are times when you do see the benefit. But not many - and how much off roading do you do to start with would be part of the calculation.

Chris

Great bit of kit, but since destroying a half shaft twice :whistle: it's the least used addition to my 90. Having said that, it is nice knowing I have that option should the need arise.

If it was not already fitted, than I probably would not bother.

Back