Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ARB On-Board High Performance 12 Volt Twin Air Compressor (CKMTA12) install

Not sure where you've pulled that one from, as the original installation guide says they need a minimum of 85psi and a maximum of 105psi :icon-wink:

No, you are quite right and I don't know why I used that figure either:oops:. As you say, the correct max figure is 105psi. Sorry for any confusion

I'm still confused why they are saying a 150psi compressor is fine to run them when the locker jargon says a maximum of 105psi.

Their reason was the locker installation guide was written before the new twin pump CKMTA12 was released..... but that doesn't make sense to me either :icon-confused:

But I have been assured (in writing) that all will be fine so that will do me :icon-cool:

OK, well I have just pulled out my installation manual for the one I fitted. Now, it's different because it was in an 90 so maybe that is why I had that figure. But the manual says, recommended 90 psi, min 85 psi but to NEVER exceed 105 psi. If you have something in writing, then go for it. I never exceeded that, and the locker in Trev's Lil Blue is still working. The pressure reduction thingy that I fitted came with a gauge on it.

Chris

.... But the manual says, recommended 90 psi, min 85 psi but to NEVER exceed 105 psi. If you have something in writing, then go for it. I never exceeded that, and the locker in Trev's Lil Blue is still working. The pressure reduction thingy that I fitted came with a gauge on it.
Fitted a gauge on the output side of the solenoid today..... sure enough there is 150psi there. I have to say despite the assurances, I am not happy running 150pis to something that says never to exceed 105psi.

Where can I find one of these 'pressure reduction thingies' Chris?

It looked very like that one on ebay actually. I can't recall where I got it, but it was either an ARB thing or a VIAIR thing. Handy cos you could turn it to zero so you couldn't accidentally engage the locker if you had no intention of doing.

I shall have a look, but I suspect something like that would be fine.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
.... OR you could maybe just use one of these of ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-4-In-li...Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item3f1a8b3a3d

Much cheaper
I'm liking the look of this one :thumbup:
It looked very like that one on ebay actually. I can't recall where I got it, but it was either an ARB thing or a VIAIR thing.

I shall have a look, but I suspect something like that would be fine.
Let me know later if the one you fitted is any different Chris.... the one above looks like it will do the job just fine.

Thanks chaps :clap:

Cannot find any details at all of the one I used. Nothing. I'd go with that sort of thing.

C

Thanks Chris, just ordered 2 of the eBay jobbies :thumbup:

Now I don't want to be the harbinger of doom Paul, but you've spend a small fortune on the lockers and pumps(great job BTW).. and you want to finish the installation with a cheap 2 bob regulator??

Maybe it doesn't make a ha'p'orth of difference, and I talking kak, but that component now becomes the weakest bit of your setup.. if it fails then 150 psi at the seals....no?

.... but that component now becomes the weakest bit of your setup.. if it fails then 150 psi at the seals....no?
I hear what you're saying, but ARBs own promo vehicle is running the exact same setup as I have with NO pressure regulators. They have said it will be fine with 150psi to the seals.

I just want to add these as a precautionary measure, if they fail then the lockers will get the 150.

Last edited:
It's a fair point, but it doesn't look too bad. Probably made in the same factory as the expensive ones. These things are fitted by the hundreds in industry and I have never know failures to be common. The mechanism inside is pretty simple - it's just a restriction. I'd think it would be alright.

Obviously I'd never use on on my ...... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Chris

Now I don't want to be the harbinger of doom Paul, but you've spend a small fortune on the lockers and pumps(great job BTW).. and you want to finish the installation with a cheap 2 bob regulator??
Ended up fitting one of these Norgren ones, as the cheaper ones were Chinese copies.

Going to add a 2 gallon tank so need to find a 1/4 one way valve now.

Last edited:
1/4 NPT or BSP Paul?

Chris

I guess it doesn't matter Chris as I was going to 'plumb' it in to the line that feeds the tank.... BSP would be better as it is easier to get BSP push fittings that would connect to it.

I can only find ones in Hong Kong on eBay.

Ahh if it's in line then it doesn't matter. Mine are on the end of the flexible braided hoses from the compressor. So they are threaded. Hmm, push fit one way valve? Not seen one.

Off to Google.

C

Like this? Just cut and shut. No screwing needed....
That's what I need.... I was searching for 1/4 one way not push fit one way.

I will drop him a message as I need one in 8mm OD, he says he has them but doesn't seem to list one.

Thanks Chris :thumbup:

Jon I'd hate you to think of this as an argument it's more a healthy debate but you asked the question "why bother?" And I am giving the readers the benefit of my practical experience. If that doesn't match what se clever chap wrote in a book the I can't help that. I think far from ruining the thread it adds very important information
I wouldn't want people to think they must fit a tank so an objective voice is always important. Paul and I have been chatting for se time about my set up and he has a tank to fit. Maybe he doesn't need to bother
I think a lot of this depends on the set up and the pump characteristics or 'curve' as it were. Mine produce good air and rather than waste that potential when not extracting it I can store it and get the benefit. But I am airing 37s from 15 psi to 45 not simply topping them up for a trip to Tesco.
Ok not everyone wants or needs a tank including yourself. But there ARE benefits from having one. I could very easily put in a T bypass that I have and simply go direct to the chuck if needs be

I get you point about tyre pressure but when my tyre is at 15 psi to start with the pump is producing more than that from the off. Added to which the one way system doesn't allow the tyre to actually deflate. My experience therefore is that my tyre pressures go up immediately. So do others judging by the queue that usually forms to borrow it.

I feel there probably is an optimum tank size for each system and certainly not clever enough to have worked that out.
But I can say that once my tank is 'depleted' the tyre pressure continues to rise with the pumps running.

Hope that's helpful to anyone thinking about a tank - or not

Chris

Morning gents,

just want to step in here a bit, I have read all your comments and all make sense. If I was to fit a comp I would consider the following:

1) there are many compressors on the market and a cheaper, lower cfm compressor might make it viable to fit a tank to give a faster air volume

2) If you run tubeless tyres, a blast of air to seal a bead would necessitate the use of a tank

3) downside, a tank gives extra weight and space loss to a vehicle

4) If my vehicle was to be a commercial mobile workshop, I would definately fit a tank to have a reliable air supply.

5) A personal vehicle? We live deep in the boonies and I have never felt the need for such a fast repair/ or need of bulk air. Location, location, location.

Steve

I would mount a tank under the rear floor area, with an outlet mounted to both ends of the car, maybe on top of the bumpers? and then mount my truck air horns under the bonnet, operated via a solenoid......that's it I'm off to the scrappy for a lorry air tank.:think:
Hi Niva, Have you fitted your airhorns yet, and do you have a picture of their location?

Back