Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

as i get rid of one problem, another rears its ugly head (possible BEB?)

Hi Geert

The camshaft bearings "never fail". The cylinder head and camshaft caps are line bored but not fitted with relaceable shells/bearings. So any wear here is directly on the engine castings themselves. In the extremely unlikely event of wear taking place here it would not leed to dramatic failure.

Frank

With any of these trucks Michael none of us really know. The times I here about them on other landcruiser ie not the 12 v is when people are after engines. My 24v will be having bearings.Does it need them? Ill find out when the old ones come out.

Fairy Nuff. Thanks - sounds like a good bit of insurance to change them before you have to....or worse

So, with a 24v would you recommend a pre-emptive strike at any particular mileage and change the shells (mine is 160K and i dont know the previous service history) ?

Mate should I schedule this job for my 100? It's at about 109K miles??

Let us see the bearing shells when they come out Mark. Other people have pulled theirs and seen no damage at all. I did mine at 70k and they'd gone quite badly. So who knows. But at 308k, we;ll they're about due for replacement anyway!

I've done three sets and they have all been duff.

Chris[/QUOTE

No problem Chris. I am now interested in seeing what they are like myself. Especially seeing as the engine runs nice enough with no knocks or ticking, just the usual smoothness.
I will get a picture on as soon as they are done.

Cheers, Mark

Hi Geert

The camshaft bearings "never fail". The cylinder head and camshaft caps are line bored but not fitted with relaceable shells/bearings. So any wear here is directly on the engine castings themselves. In the extremely unlikely event of wear taking place here it would not leed to dramatic failure.

Frank

Ah ok,
Haven't had a look at the engine myself yet :)

A couple of points about the 'ticking' noise. First the ACSD does often tick, it has been known to fail INSIDE the pump where it alters the pump timing, the destruction that follows inside the pump is quite catastrophic! I removed the device and had to alter the timing ever so slightly to correct it for a warm engine, no more ticking. It has had zero effect on the engine starting but to be fair I lve in a warm climate and reckon the coldest IIRC I have started in was around -10.....ish with no issues.

The second ticking noise CAN be attributed to worn BEB, the noise is the crown of the piston just (and I mean just catching the head surface, a little more and the contact will damage the piston/rod and in the worse case scenario throw a 'leg out of bed'! Normally BEB can be heard a rythmatic knocking as you blip the throttle, but on the 80 it rarely reaches that point. As Karl said do the BEB without further ado and remove the ASCD or have a new one fitted...pronto!

You can see the condition of my shells on the link in my sig, keep in mind my car was owned by doc or surgeon who was not short of cash, I have the full service history from Toyota, so this was not neglect ect, the engine was not making any noises when they were replaced but they were far from perfect.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Dave
The ACSD failure..........is there much warning? Does it happen on the 24 valve engine?

I'm not sure if you would hear a piston hitting a cylinder head. I've had loads of big end failures in the 60's when it was quite common. It starts with a ticking then a terrible knocking on a petrol engine.There is a good clearance between the crown of the piston at TDC and the head on the 24 valve engine.. If this was reduced to zero by a worn big end bearing you would definately hear the bearing ticking. I suspect what happens is a ticking beb followed by destruction when the piston hits the head. I've seen intact beb's out of a failed 12valve engine that caused that cylinder to break the rod. The bearing wear would have stopped when the engine stopped so I had a snapshot of the beb's state just before failure. There was so much wear that you woul defo have heard the bearing ticking first.

Frank

Back