Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

as i get rid of one problem, another rears its ugly head (possible BEB?)

Before i had a personal truck go bang i wasnt aware of the issue. Well,not to the extent of it anyway.

Mine started ticking on the A50 then seconds later it stopped. Took the crank with it.

Heard of a few 100s needing bearings and i have had a couple of 24v 80 engines for scrap. They were before me knowing the full issue regarding the bebs so didnt take much notice at the time.

Oilp ressure is equal throughout the whole system. If you were to drill a large enough hole anywhere in the system the oil pressure would drop. So the fact the mains feed the big ends I think is of little matter. Any bearing within the pressure system with equal wear will have the same effect on oil pressure. Having said that I have had worn mains and big ends on some engines and the oil pressure has been OK. This is because the oil relief valve will take up the slack by closing a bit. The oil pressure gauge cannot therefore be used for diagnosis especially on a well made engine with heaps of grunt in the oil pump.

Ticking noise from the sump area especialyy off throttle/load means don't even start the engine...........very sorry.

HAS ANYONE HAD BEB FAILURE ON A 24 VALVE ?

Frank

If the mains are good, any worn bearings down stream in the oil flow will have little effect. Low OP is a classic symptom of worn mains assuming the pump is good, usually accompanied by an audible rumble to a trained ear. The mains are the most heavily loaded bearings in the engine and need good OP to survive, all other bearings less so. The oil relief valve is there to prevent over pressure for whatever reason, not to compensate for worn bearings.JMO

One of the bearings on my 24v was just starting to pit & delaminate when I bought it at 49K miles with no symptoms. There have been failiures of the 24v engine posted on the net but not in the numbers of the 12v it seems.

I had a crankshaft break once. I noticed I suddenly had zero oil pressure but managed to get back home 40 miles. It had broken across the front web in such a manner as to not affect the timing. There was no noise and all the bearings were perfect! But it did need an exchange bottom end as they would not take the broken crank in exchange!

Frank

What grade oil are you using, i ask this because if i use 10/15 mine ticks, when i use 10/40 no ticking & before anyone pipes up i know the latter is the PROPER grade, i did my beb's when i first got mine it was on 100k then, 150k on her now, i only did mine on advice from others & glad i did two of the shells were badly delaminated but i had no indication anything was amiss, still had good oil pressure but as topwpack says oil pressure comes from the mains. my advice is DO THEM, £150 ish is much cheaper than a new lump.

Bebs005.jpg

Wasn't there a thread a couple of years back (maybe more) that concluded that bearing de-lamination occurred due to imported Jap vehicles not using J-spec oil?

Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick

Bang!

Hello is that the AA ....

And that's as much warning you'll get WHEN they go.

As many have said, regardless of that the noise is, if the BEBs have not been done, get them done. It very easy even for a relatively inexperienced home mechanic.

Chris

Indeed there was a thread a couple of years or so ago, i think i started it, had a quick search but no luck.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Is this an issue with the diesels or all engines?

:text-threadjacked:

Been thinking of doing mine again. They were done around 80k ago using OEM shells.

What's the concensus for replacement shells longevity?

Holy s$;:! I have just read this thread and am now whooping it all bit. My truck has 308000 on it and i wouldn't have though the post would have known to changed them. Guess this is the next job.
Karl have you got any left?

Cheers, Mark

Last edited:
Hi mark

i usually carry as many sets as I can as the obviously go out fairly fast for obvious reasons.

I have another order of them coming this week.

Karl

PS... That's why a lot of these trucks end up as scrap as people don't here about the issue.

Last edited:
Let us see the bearing shells when they come out Mark. Other people have pulled theirs and seen no damage at all. I did mine at 70k and they'd gone quite badly. So who knows. But at 308k, we;ll they're about due for replacement anyway!

I've done three sets and they have all been duff.

Chris

I had mine done at 170000 miles.
They looked like this:
120920121677.jpg

Maybe a stupid question, I know what you mean, but what does BEB stand for?

Geert ... BEB stands for Big End Bearing.

ah ok :)
And what about the camshaft bearings? Do they fail often?

I've personally never heard of cam bearings giving up. Also never heard of the main crank bearings having issues.

If the mains are good, any worn bearings down stream in the oil flow will have little effect. Low OP is a classic symptom of worn mains assuming the pump is good, usually accompanied by an audible rumble to a trained ear. The mains are the most heavily loaded bearings in the engine and need good OP to survive, all other bearings less so. The oil relief valve is there to prevent over pressure for whatever reason, not to compensate for worn bearings.JMO

One of the bearings on my 24v was just starting to pit & delaminate when I bought it at 49K miles with no symptoms. There have been failiures of the 24v engine posted on the net but not in the numbers of the 12v it seems.

So, with a 24v would you recommend a pre-emptive strike at any particular mileage and change the shells (mine is 160K and i dont know the previous service history) ?

With any of these trucks Michael none of us really know. The times I here about them on other landcruiser ie not the 12 v is when people are after engines. My 24v will be having bearings.Does it need them? Ill find out when the old ones come out.

Back