Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

AT 205 re seal or any other alternative available in UK

Raj

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Dear All,

When I went under the car for greasing prop shaft, I looked where all I can put grease on, didnt find any other than those 6. There are many other joints under the car and looked at youtube and found Scotty Kilmer's video on lubricating rubbers on joints.
It looks like AT 205 is an American product, do we have other alternatives in the UK. Which other lubricants are others using on all other rubber joints and metal to metal joints under the car?.

A useful by product of general underbody rustproofing with products that don't affect rubber, or if they do only in excessive concentrations, is that all the various joints and moving parts get lubricated.

Another possibly more watchable US based video channel is this one, i like the idea of lubing up all joints as this chap does.

Juddian, this looks easy. When he says best lubricant, any suggestions which one. I have WD40 silicone spray and another with PTFE

I would say for injecting into ball joints like that you'd need as heavy an oil as possible, maybe even CV joint type grease if warmed could be injected by such a method.

I do similar injecting the correct moly grease into CV joints, i have an adaptor Sealey make which attaches to my grease gun, this looks like a long thin pencil with a rounded but narrow tip, its hollow and by snipping the small end of the joint's boot clip then slide the attachment under the boot tight up into the joints and pump away to my hearts content...but that adaptor would be a bit big for ball joint boots to reseal i would think.
I've been doing this since i had dark hair, which is a long time ago let me tell you, and to date can't recall ever having to replace a CV joint on any car, even if a joint starts rattling often enough regreasing like this will see it last the rest of the life of the vehicle.
I have some thin stainless steel jubilee clips which i use for resealing the end of the boot, cable ties just don't cut it and i'm bloed if i can get on with the supposed DIY systems for replacing such clips, sure my neighbours have learned a whole new vocabulary during my efforts with those kits.

No reason why doing as the video suggests wouldn't see ball joints last forever too, i did wonder at one time if it would be worth drilling into the stamped bottom cup of said ball joints and fitting a grease nipple would be worth doing, enable regular normal greasing but its something i never got round to experimenting with, i did find some blanks fitted like that in one car i owned, looked like a factory job...wonder if that was my 70 series? removed those blanks and fitted grease nipples, i also kept the hub swivels well topped up with CV grease on y 70 and they never gave any bother either.

Good greasing is a must, not LC related but between services i notice the road tanker i drive can feel 'reluctant' to stay in a straight line over typical motorway grooves, the fifth wheel/ rubbing plate on tankers is quite exposed to the elements, more so than other tyoes of semi trailer, a quick regrease of the fifth wheel sees it back to perfect.
At one time British built lorries wre fitted with 'autolube, which was a heavy oil/grease dispenser bottle and puump and a myriad of small bore pipes which went from this bottle all around the chassis to every joint and spring shackle, with oil/grease pumped all around the vehicle at pre set intervals, it worked which is why no one uses such things any more because vehicles lasted too long.

I can now feel those joints. This task also should be my next one on high priority. Recently I changed suspension arms on Lexus as bushes are worn out. In future I can avoid such things if I look after all joints and those irritating squeaks from suspension can be avoided

under the boot tight up into the joints and pump away to my hearts content.

Mmn? :think:

'autolube

Biggest PITA trucks ever had. Might have been ok for the first couple of years but a pain after that. I remember in the 70's taking them off trucks and replacing it all with grease nipples. trucks then had a myriad of nipples everywhere but now, on our trucks anyway there are only 4 grease nipples, two on each kingpin . I guess for the past 20 years we havn't had to replace a shackle bush, kingpin/bushes or universal joint dur to things being sealed units and rubber bushes etc.
No doubt though the autolube idea was a good idea in theory.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Have to agree there Andy, with the earlier ones at least. Dogged by problems, leaks mainly resulting in the whole 9 yards being removed as too much time spent for little gain.

My last one fitted with autolube was a '79 built Sed Ack 400, system worked so well in fact that the front leaf springs (multi on 400, single leaf on 401) became so well oiled that the dampers couldn't absorb the reboud effectively, system disconnected from those two springs and grease nipples fitted.
To be fair where i worked at the time was one of the bnest maintained fleets in the country, now long gone.

Back