Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Australia with Simon Reeve, BBC2

wobbly

Garage
Starting tomorrow night is a travel / documentary series about Oz, the host is using a 70 series.

Its on BBC2.

Pete

:thumbup: I've already set the series to record.

Even my Grandparents have told me about this... looing forward to more stories like the one I got from my Grandfather most recently... Flying over to Aus on a Comet IV he said the landing was interesting at Darwin because the runway was under water and there were terrapins swimming in it; they still landed...

Shouldve posted this in Lounge.

It was excellent, like an advert for Oz Immigration Inc.

Herding camels with LC's and a helicopter.

Now I understand what people mean when they talk about working in the mines!

I didnt think the aborigines came across very well, I get what they say about having their land stolen, but its like they spend their time sulking about it, drinking and breaking things. I suppose my concept is that if they got on with working, they would be in the same position as everyone else as Oz is a country where you do well if you work, badly if you dont (unlike the UK, which is the other way round!), but I guess the aborigines dont want to be part of our society.

My lad is starting to think of Oz., which would be brilliant for him.

Pete

Coming over here is proving, day by day, to have been the best thing we could have done.

Its an awesome country! :clap:

4wd heaven! :flags-australia:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I loved the program and also would have liked to give living in Australia go. I will watch the rest of the programs with envy.

Gutted BBC IPlayer wont work outside the UK, would have liked to have watched it. :thumbdown:

Last edited:
Hi Ben - try downloading Ex-pat shield - hides your IP addy and its free!
Steve

Expat shield works! :dance:

Great program, I enjoyed watching that. :clap:

I agree the Aboriginals didn't come across well. I'm sure that area they were in would have been perfect when it was built and given to them and then they've trashed it.

I've heard of a few places where the government have spent millions of dollars building them homes and they just destroy them. :icon-confused:

Nice to see people still making a fortune in the mines! :icon-biggrin:

$4000 (£2554) after tax per week for driving a truck! :dance:

I wonder how much more machine operators, welders, engineers, and mechanics get paid.:think:

Just another 20 months and I will be free to go and seek my fortune! :icon-cool:

Those caged up 40 series for rounding the camels up looked cool. :icon-smile:

I agree the Aboriginals didn't come across well. I'm sure that area they were in would have been perfect when it was built and given to them and then they've trashed it.
I've heard of a few places where the government have spent millions of dollars building them homes and they just destroy them. :icon-confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az4dpotbSYs

I was talking to my Dad about the Aborigines after watching the first programme (going to watch the 2nd on iPlayer as were out last night) and we were drawing comparisons to the Romany's/Gypsy's in the UK.

-Education: The Gypsy's don't always like their kids to be schooled with Gorgio's as they don't want their morals rubbing off onto their kids. In particular the Gorgie's approach to relationships; if you've watched any of the Big Gypsy wedding programmes you'd have seen that they were actually big believers in no sex before marriage etc. I wonder if some of that is what's happening in Aus with the Aborigines?
-Housing: Both were traditionally nomadic people who had areas that they would travel in, and being forced to settle into (in Gypsy's mind) Gorgio's housing doesn't work. If you notice a lot of settled Gypsy's will still live in a single storey building, rather than a 2 storey building, and have the evidence of their wealth (and heritage) on display once you get past the big gates. Traditionally they would have had seperate living areas for the parents, children (boy's and girl's) and a cook/wash area; in a house that's a bit harder to do. I wonder if the Aborigines' traditional living set up would have been similar and being pushed into housing has made it difficult for them?
-Jobs: Because Aborigines traditionally lived from the land, and didn't really have a need for employment being pushed into the job market must have been hard for those first generations, but there are some that have done well (look at the NT Cattle stations that are run purely by Aborigines); the challenge is to work out why have they done well? I think that some of it comes down to where they are located; often the traditional lands that they are left with are in the middle of nowhere, so there is very little work available to unskilled workers (due to a lack of education). With the Gypsy's I think they've lost a lot of their traditional employment (horse trading, agricultural work) as the need for both has declined; they've re-skilled and do quite well out of some of their other enterprises and are often very resourceful as to what they do.

How can Australia help get the Aborigines in on the mine's wealth? I'm not sure; I think that part of it is the conflict between the expansion of the mines (esp the open cast ones) and the destruction of significant places to them; I know near where I used to work there was an area near by where there was a sand mine that was getting closer and closer to some significant rocks for the traditional owners.

Sorry for the ramblings...

Back