Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Auto air con niggle

warrenpfo

Now that my AC is working great guns I have been able to have a play around and noticed something quite annoying.

No matter how i have my AC set up as soon as i push the Auto button it changes the vents to blow out the dash which then means it blows straight on me. Is this the default setting and if so is there a way of changing it so that when i hit Auto it stays on where even i have set the vents i.e. windscreen or toes or combination rather than reverting back to dash vents??

warrenpfo said:
Now that my AC is working great guns I have been able to have a play around and noticed something quite annoying.

No matter how i have my AC set up as soon as i push the Auto button it changes the vents to blow out the dash which then means it blows straight on me. Is this the default setting and if so is there a way of changing it so that when i hit Auto it stays on where even i have set the vents i.e. windscreen or toes or combination rather than reverting back to dash vents??

Hi Warren

I think you will find it blows all over, and as the "auto" states it will blow as cold as it can till it gets to the correct temp, then it will go back to just maintaining the temp.

How long did you leave it on ?

If its the same as mine (2001) then mine stays however it is left.

Is yours the newer dash?

Steve

I am not disputing that it works but for example when looking at the screen and say I have the AC on the temp set to 21degrees with the picture showing its blowing on my at my toes and body highlighted. I then hit the auto button and the vents at my toes close and the picture of the vents blowing only at my body becomes highlighted.

It seems to revert to body only no matter what vents i choose manually prior to hitting auto.

The same happens if i select auto and then decide to change the vents being used and it comes off auto.

I would have thought that the Auto function should just control the flow and temp of air automatically and independently of what vents i choose to use but it does not seem to be the case.

If need be I am happy to do a short vid to demonstrate.

Paul its a 2003

brb off to do a video

....video uploading

The only thing you can control on the auto setting is the temperature, on the older style dash at least and I can't say that I ever use it, if I need more or less air just turn the knob :) Maybe the integrated controls on the newer models are a bit more trouble to set?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If it's auto climate control it's supposed to direct the cooled / heated air to where it's needed - so if you're running a desired 21 degrees, which is pretty warm, then probably only the mid-zone needs controlled.

On my 120 the vents in use will alter as the system sees fit, and pre-setting vents does nothing but revert me to full manual control, as designed.

Cheers

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.906364,-3.242000

warrenpfo said:
Steve

I am not disputing that it works but for example when looking at the screen and say I have the AC on the temp set to 21degrees with the picture showing its blowing on my at my toes and body highlighted. I then hit the auto button and the vents at my toes close and the picture of the vents blowing only at my body becomes highlighted.

It seems to revert to body only no matter what vents i choose manually prior to hitting auto.

The same happens if i select auto and then decide to change the vents being used and it comes off auto.

I would have thought that the Auto function should just control the flow and temp of air automatically and independently of what vents i choose to use but it does not seem to be the case.

If need be I am happy to do a short vid to demonstrate.

Paul its a 2003

brb off to do a video

....video uploading

Hi Again

I have just checked mine out and does the same as yours (although I had it set to 16c) but I did check and it does come out of the bottom as well (even though it shows on the display it just to the chest)

Has it been different, and just changed or has it always done it ?
Mine is the late 2004 model but look just the same,but as I said before once it get it to the temp it settles down, but you could always turn the two vents off, but it will take longer to get to the set temp !

No experience on LCs but on the cars that I've had with climate control function, when you set it to "AUTO" it would adjust the blower/vent configuration to bring the interior temperature up/down to the set level most efficiently and then maintain that. On warm days this is usually by blowing air in via the "face" vents.

I believe the CC uses not just the exterior/interior temp sensors but also with sunlight sensors in the windscreen/dash area too (at least my previous cars did).

So on a very hot sunny day it may configure the system differently to a mild evening......

On Auto it will blow down if it's heating and face if it's cooling. That's how it works. Just try to change the temp setting while in Auto.

If you press defrost (Windscreen symbol) it will turn on full AC whatever the temperature, and then add heating as needed according to your temp setting.

Just to confirm, on my touch screen 100 on auto the air con vents seem to have a mind of their own but this is normal and adjusts the "climate". [on the instructions of various sensors in the cabin?]

Frank

After much "testing" and reading it seems that it is normal for the Auto air con make its own decisions as to which vents to use.

One last thing i wanted to ask was from starting ones car from cold and the auto button on how long does it take for your AC unit to start working?

Let me explain. Over the past few days with the temp having dropped and like wise when it was hot last weekend on starting my car it seems to take a good 3/4min for my AC unit to work out what’s going on with the inside and outside temp and then to work out what it wants to do about getting the inside temp to my desired setting (21 degrees).

I am not sure if this is normal and so am asking you from starting your car and hitting auto how long does it normally take for your AC unit to come to life?

If its anything like other toyota auto aircon units i have had - if it needs aircon then that normally is pretty much instant

if unit need to give heat nowt happens until the water in the engine is offering up something useful in terms of heat. then the fans start blowing etc.

Back