Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

auto box woooooooing !!

Higgy

Country Flag
denmark
Hello all. My 95 Colorado auto box has started making what can only be described as a deep Wooooooing sound Say im doing 50 mph and slightly take my foot off the throttle all is quiet and all is normal.but when I put foot back down gently and the pump kicks in I get the woooooing again. and the sound seems to come from passenger side foot well.. its still nice and smooth and changes when it should and pulls well.. the old girls done over 275,000 miles and im in the process of looking to replace it. shall I just ignore it or is there a quick fix..PS I did an ATF change 7 months ago.. and a drop and swap a couple of times after that.. Many thanks

Last edited:
Is it a slow rhythmic pulsating noise? slower than rpm or wheels speed

Is it a slow rhythmic pulsating noise? slower than rpm or wheels speed
The sound doesn't get louder, harsher or change in any tone what ever speed I m doing. its this constant wooooooing , but goes away as soon as I lift off , so im to think its not wheel bearing or uj /shafts etc. im guessing really...

If it’s constant under throttle and disappears when you lift off it’s transmission related so Diff, propshaft, transfer or gear box.

Remove the rear propshaft and see if it’s gets quiet. If he’s its the rear propshaft or diff. If not try again but remove front prop. Again if it disappears it’s the front prop or diff. If you still have the noise then it’s transfer or gear box

If it’s constant under throttle and disappears when you lift off it’s transmission related so Diff, propshaft, transfer or gear box.

Remove the rear propshaft and see if it’s gets quiet. If he’s its the rear propshaft or diff. If not try again but remove front prop. Again if it disappears it’s the front prop or diff. If you still have the noise then it’s transfer or gear box
Ok thanks for that.. im beginning to suspect gearbox! if it were diff, transfer, or propshafts the noise would still be there weather I had my foot on the throttle or not at 40/50 mph. its when the pump kicks in when I touch the throttle..me thinking ??

It could still be the diffs, if the noise drops when you let off the throttle its because theres no power going through the transmission as it coasts. I've had a few issue with my diff and had a noise that was constant when under throttle but when you lifted off the noise went for this reason.

Its a simple job to drop the proper shaft off to determine where the noise is coming from

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Higgy, I’m not sure what you mean by ‘when the pump kicks in’ the pump in an auto box surely runs continuously (correct me if I’m wrong here).

The AC compressor will kick in and out and a power steering pump that’s got troubles or is low on fluid will whirr like a good’un.

Hi Higgy, I’m not sure what you mean by ‘when the pump kicks in’ the pump in an auto box surely runs continuously (correct me if I’m wrong here).

The AC compressor will kick in and out and a power steering pump that’s got troubles or is low on fluid will whirr like a good’un.
No I cant correct you coz im not sure myself.. I assumed the pump doesn't run continuously .and the electronics kick it in when you give it throttle.. they say never coast in neutral with an auto coz it will knacker it coz the pumps not running(who ever they are). this is the first vehicle iv had with auto so im non the wiser mate. im sure someone with a bigger brain than mine can put me straight:)

'sound seems to come from passenger side foot well'

1KZ-TE? Spring stretch mod? Do they ever need re-stretching?

Just a thought, although I seem to remember mine was a whine rather than a woooooooo :scared-ghostface:

'sound seems to come from passenger side foot well'

1KZ-TE? Spring stretch mod? Do they ever need re-stretching?

Just a thought, although I seem to remember mine was a whine rather than a woooooooo :scared-ghostface:
Yeh! for some reason when i hear the wooooooing! I always stare down at the passenger footwell. My missus whines. we were out in the truck other day and she started whining about the woooooing.:grinning:

Front prop off would likely be my first action suspecting the diff because many have failed long before reaching 275000 miles - which on a side note deserves recognition :clap:

Ok thanks for that.. im beginning to suspect gearbox! if it were diff, transfer, or propshafts the noise would still be there weather I had my foot on the throttle or not at 40/50 mph. its when the pump kicks in when I touch the throttle..me thinking ??
My front diff was making the sound you describe. Only when I touched the accelerator no mater how hard or softly. As soon as any load at all applied it whooooed. Freewheeling the noise disappeared. My money is on the diff.

Front prop off would likely be my first action suspecting the diff because many have failed long before reaching 275000 miles - which on a side note deserves recognition :clap:

Dead right. 238,855 is the miles to the moon, so you've made it there and part way back again.

My front diff was making the sound you describe. Only when I touched the accelerator no mater how hard or softly. As soon as any load at all applied it whooooed. Freewheeling the noise disappeared. My money is on the diff.
Many thanks for all the advice/opinions... Just a quick question to all. in my first post I said I was looking for a replacement for the old gal, im not gonna spend anymore money on it .. so if I took prop off would it prolong the inevitable or maybe get a bit more life out of it..Cheers

Dead right. 238,855 is the miles to the moon, so you've made it there and part way back again.
Its a long way, iv got a silver high miles sticker from Toyota.@ 250,000 that's 8 times around the world it sez on it, imagine getting up in the morning and someone saying "Right today your going to drive 8 times around the world, "Of you go" I wonder how far you would get before something went "POP" ?....

Many thanks for all the advice/opinions... Just a quick question to all. in my first post I said I was looking for a replacement for the old gal, im not gonna spend anymore money on it .. so if I took prop off would it prolong the inevitable or maybe get a bit more life out of it..Cheers
Well the less honest geezers within the dodgy car dealing community might fill it with thicker oil or even grease to move it out. Not a recommendation in any way but just saying!!!!!

Well the less honest geezers within the dodgy car dealing community might fill it with thicker oil or even grease to move it out. Not a recommendation in any way but just saying!!!!!
Know what yer sayin... Im never going to sell. just replace. I know its a bold statement talking about an engine that's done over 275,000 miles.BUT, it is as sweet and smooth as a nut. if I get another Colorado iv got a life time of spares me thinks.. (except front diff, gearbox etc.):)

You can get a diff from a breaker for about £300 just make sure its a matched gear there should be a white sticker on the diff tube saying R16 or some such so you know what to get . Why kill it when there's plenty out there who want but can't afford one .

If you remove the prop (and it is the diff) you will remove the noise but the diff will still spin with the wheels so yeah you might delay the inevitable for a while but only for a while . You could i suppose remove the cv axles so it doesn't spin with the wheels but then your leaving wheel bearings exposed and vulnerable .

I can see where your coming from so maybe the best thing to do is remove the prop so your sure its the diff and then put it up for sale at fair price advertised as in need of a new diff .

An honest add at least gives the truck a chance to go to an enthusiast rather than a breaker and i imagine if the price is right it won't take long to sell .

Back