Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Auto Gearbox oil change

Steve Wright

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi All

I have a late 2004 Amazon with the 5 speed box, and I was thinking of getting the oil changed.

I have contacted a couple of dealers and they are telling me they are sealed for life and does
not need changing.

I am in the old mind that it needs changing on a fairly regular basis.

What you you lads think ?

The 120 gearbox is the same i think. But i know some guys have changed the oil

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

This is a well known misnomer with automatic gearboxes. "Life" is not a finite value.

You'll find that value is generally a lot longer if you periodically change the ATF, rather than leaving the gearbox untouched until it grenades.

Last edited:
hi Steve I have the same truck as you and the same concern -and what I do is drop 2L out of the box and then put 2L of new fluid back in when I do a service ,at least this keeps it fresh ,I drop the fluid into a measuring jug so you know exactly what to put back in , and only use Toyota WS fluid
IMG_0538_zpsbb2a6cd0.jpg

Hey Pete this is my next job and wanted to ask what is the cost of those tins from Toyota??

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I thought only landrovers never needed an oil change , apparently you just top up the oil every few miles and never need to drain them :think:

As this truck I have just bought has done 180K miles I think also this idea of freshening the fluid up is a good one. How do you drain a quantity out? I ask this as I haven't had it up to look underneath to see how it all works yet. Also how do you get it back in?
I've got it all to learn from scratch. Also has anyone got a handbook for one of these or know where to get one.

Thanks Guys so far.

Andy

Hi All
I have a late 2004 Amazon with the 5 speed box, and I was thinking of getting the oil changed.
I have contacted a couple of dealers and they are telling me they are sealed for life and does not need changing.
I am in the old mind that it needs changing on a fairly regular basis.
What you you lads think ?
It needs change. "Sealed for life" is only if you want it to have a short life - then the words will come true. I suppose 60 to 100 k km is fine, or 60 k miles maybe.
It's easy to change, but a bit more involved than with the older type, a few more steps to go through. As said here, you get only 2-3 litres out by draining. A full flush is possible through the cooler hoses.

This is different scenario, a five speed auto with a dipstick, not so "sealed for life then".

IMG_0316_zps8ba4d214.jpg

IMG_0317_zpsd1c56366.jpg

IMG_0318_zpsd7f9bd31.jpg

Does this mean I can drain out and refill through the dipstick tube?
By the way this Cruiser was ordered from the UK at an Australian dealer and shipped as brand new to the customer in the UK, don't ask me why. Because of this it may be different in the "sealed for life" department.

Andy

im guessing your truck has a slightly different box to all the other five speeds

I'll look into that and report back when I get the transmission code off the chassis plate. Interesting!!

Andy

Thanks for all your input, but still unsure what to do !

I am waiting for a ex service Manager of our local dealer who is working on his own, and see if he can
do the job for me (he was the service manager when I bought the car from the dealer)

Andy:
The first year of the 5-sp was made like that, with a dip stick. It probably has type IV fluid as well. Would be stamped WS on the fill plug if it requires WS fluid. With stick it's easier to check fluid level, but do it at operating temp, on a level surface, engine running, in neutral.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your input, but still unsure what to do !
If you can handle one simple spanner, and read the instructions linked to above (LCOOL), you do this as a minimum:
  • get 3 quarts of WS fluid
  • drain out what you can through the drain plug
  • fill the same amount through the fill plug
  • If the fluid looks or smells bad, repeat 2-3 times while driving a short trip between each.
Now, you can stop here, but it's recommended to check the level by following the procedure on the LCOOL page, by reaching operating temp and then open the overflow plug. (If you don't have a dip stick as well)

Drain and fill 3 times will have changed out nearly half of the fluid, which is pretty good, if it isn't full of debris or burnt to cinders etc, in which case you should do a thorough flush.

You could also drop the pan, if you really want to see the quality of the fluid and check for shavings. You won't get more fluid out, but will be able to see if there's a lot of metal shavings stuck to the magnets inside. IIRC the pan is sealed with fipg, which you have to have handy (The t0yota fipg is nice, cheap and easy to handle).

Last edited:
Yes indeed it does not have the WS box. There is no filler plug so I guess it goes down the dipstick tube. Does anyone know the spec for the type of ATF for this box ?
This a steep learning curve!!

Thanks for the help and input so far.

Andy

If it's not WS, then the 5-sp is type IV.
There's a (old) discussion on mud about using another type IV than t0yota, but the original should be safe in any case.

Back