1. Graham Whitehead

Graham Whitehead New Member I am in great_britain

Map
    Can anyone tell me the direction the gearbox oil flows through the radiator cooler |?

As I am sitting in the car, is it left to right or right to left, I have searched and googled for ages.

Reason is I think I have an air lock as No pumping through the radiator, so I was going to do what we used to do years ago and prime it from the radiator pipes using a Y joint and another piece of hose

Fitted new gearbox filter, oil and a rad, now I don't have drive at all

Thanks

AdventureWagon likes this.
  2. AdventureWagon

AdventureWagon New Member I am in australia

Map
  3. Graham Whitehead

Map

I think it pumps out passenger side and returns from drivers side, is that what you think, I also have a haynes manual and for a change its not very good

4. Graham Whitehead

Map

5. Graham Whitehead

Map
    I mean it pumps out of passenger side pipe, goes through cooler and returns to gearbox from the drivers side pipe / rad

6. AdventureWagon

Map
    If there is a way you can think to check it on mine I'm happy to do so, bit hesitant of removing the pipes with the trouble you're having but anything else I'm happy to try. Maybe I could at least find which hose to which boss on the trans? Would that help?

7. AdventureWagon

Map
    That would not concur with the Tacoma link but that's not really reliable here tbh.

If you watch YouTube then mustie1 has lots of videos recovering from a pink milkshake situation on his wife's 4Runner. Similar drivetrain and trans. Don't have time to watch myself but he is a great watch regardless.

8. Graham Whitehead

Map

NO PLEASE DONT REMOVE YOUR GEARBOX PIPES

Dont want you to have any problems

Nothing I can do for a week now anyway, I have found a gearbox in ireland and another torque converter, will see if that cures the problem

9. AdventureWagon

Map
    No I won't mate don't worry! My wife would kill me if I did and it sprayed ATF all over her Mitsubishi!

I do hope your new gearbox and TC work for you, good luck with them!

10. Beau

Beau Well-Known Member I am in guyana

Map
    I can't remember, but it's fairly easy to find out. Trace the lines back to the box. The one that is on the higher side will be the return line. The lower side will be the line entering the cooler.

11. Graham Whitehead

Map
    Thank you for that. I am
    Away for a bit now. Will check when I get back

12. Dave

Dave Member

Map
    If there’s no oil flow its because the pumps isnt working. You wont be suffering an air lock as its a positive displacement pump.

13. Graham Whitehead

Map
    Thanks for that. Is the pump on the gearbox or on the end of the torque converter Was pumping ok before the oil change so why go now. Or is this all a nasty coincidence ?

14. Finiterex

Finiterex Member I am in uk

Map
    Hi Graham sounds more like not enough oil in the box mate... How did you drain and how much did you put back in?

15. Graham Whitehead

Map
    I took 5 Ltrs out, I put 5 ltrs back in, but after running and getting hot it needed another ltr, took it slightly over the top and still the pump was not working.

Do you know where three pump is, I have another gearbox coming, so I will be attempting to take old one to bits to repair it, I have repaired manual boxes before but never an automatic, but it does not work anyway, so cant make it worse, just wondering if the pump can be got to easy ? haynes is usless for this car usally very good

16. Finiterex

Map
    The pump is up above the valve body above the filter. My guess is that in replacing the filter/changing oil some debris has got dislodged and is blocking something in the valve body. I'd be more inclined to remove the filter and valve body, give both a damned good clean out and refit with new oil to see if that sorts it. I'm no expert on auto boxes so that's about the limit of my knowledge.

17. Finiterex

Map
    Oh and have a look at askorto.com.au there's some good build up pics on there that might help you work things out

18. Graham Whitehead

Map
    Thanks

Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter