Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Autogearbox

Yes, tried all those.
It had been having issues now and again for about 2-3 years, at the time I didn't think much about it.
But in recent days(last week on 4 occasions) sometimes its moved sometimes it hasn't, at the moment it cannot be moved.
In my opinion (which doesn't stand for much) it is terminal methinks.

Renate, have you tried it in A) reverse and B) low range? My silver one was like this when I got it. No forward motion at all in high but when in low box it would creep a little. Unfortunately it was terminal. When we pulled the box it was second hand! So it had been swapped once already. There are a whole series of tests that you can run. Blocked filter is one yes, but pretty unlikely really. If it's blocked with friction band material then it's not the blocking that's the issue - it's the fact that the bands have worn out. But there are some solenoids in there too which are simple to replace and they can be tested in situ. But, one really important thing to check is the big grey plug down near the starter motor. This is where the auto box and the car are essentially joined together. Unplug that and the gal won't move.

My thoughts would be if it's been driven hard, poorly looked after and towed steam engines out of ditches all its life then sorry. It's the box. But if it has had a normal life then it is likely that the box is the last thing to go. Was this sudden?

Agree :) We towed a caravan for about 50 miles without realising that handbrake for the caravan was on. It is stupid and we should have checked - there is no excuse for that.:cry: There is a autobox temp gauge installed as well as a large Hayden transmission cooler. Box was recently filled with a fully synthetic atf. There were moments when the temp gauge went upto 110 - 120 degrees C but thanks to big cooler and adjusting "driving style" it cooled down pretty quick to 80. The A/T temp light did not come on. I checked the colour of the oil when we got home. It smells like it should. Fingers crossed no permanent damaged done. Totally different story with the caravan handbrake though.

Bearing in mind I think you are saying there is a separate atf cooler fitted, has the volume of it been allowed for with relation to fluid volume/levels etc?

Hi y'all
Update.
I've been mulling over the 'market trends' for a cruiser like mine - it has kept it's value - i bought it when it was 10 years old for £9000, I have compared the prices for a purchase of a 10 year old and the price is about 9000 for a 'good' one, so have been rethinking its future value as a scrap/spares or as a repaired Beast and am thinking, yep, I'm still going to sell it but first I would like to see it repaired so am after a 80 Series autogearbox for 1991 registration, 1HDT engine.
So anyone out there with a 'good' one, that is, one that does not have a huge mileage attached to it, and one that (as far as can be ascertained) has not be 'abused') that would fit the bill please email me ([email protected]) / IM (here on the forum) / phone call (07763 668896) any time of day or night (within reason, naturally).
I believe this is the way forward - constructive, positive etc, and ultimately, by doing this, will ensure that it can then be sold for a good price.
Cheers

Renate,

If your 80 is a 1991 then I'm guessing it has a L-2-3-D-N-R-P shift pattern, and not the post 93 ones that don't have the '3'?

If this is the case your box will not have the electronic solenoids in it and is purely hydraulic.

You need to make sure the replacement box you get is the same :thumbup:

To add to paul's comments the A442F box is the later electronically controlled unit & i believe yours is the A442, should confirm this on the VIN plate.

To add to paul's comments the A442F box is the later electronically controlled unit & i believe yours is the A442, should confirm this on the VIN plate.
To add the the confusion.... my VIN states 442F but mine is certainly not the later box.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jan 1992, so manufacture date most likely late 1991.

Hi y'all
I would assume than, the mine would be an A442 as it was first registered in September 1991, so manufacture date would probably be earlier than Paul's.
Do I have to have the gearbox removed before I can look to see the VIN plate number?
Beast is at the garage still.
Cheers

The vin plate is on the bulkhead/firewall between cabin and engine bay. look at the back and to the right of the engine. easily readable

Just a word of advice about buying a second hand gearbox!!

Buy it off someone you know or someone on the forum, otherwise see it in use in a truck first because if your paying someone to drop a box and put another one in you might be out a lot of bucks if its a dud.

A crap box and a good box look exactly the same when you have them in the back of a van! And a good box that came out of a truck a year ago and has sat outside in the rain for12 months may well now be a crap box!!

Hi Yogi
That's what I'd like to do, buy it off someone on the forum.
I want to try and reduce the risk
Cheers
Renate

Hi Karl W, if you're out and about, any luck with sourcing a Gearbox yet?
I still haven't found your telephone number, so could you forward it to me via text to my mobile number 07763 668896 please?
Cheers
Renate

Hi Renate
Had two at the time but both sold before you changed your mind regarding keeping it again.
I'm keeping my ears open for you.

Back