Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Auxiliary Fueltank

Jorgen45

Hi Folks,

I need to repair or replace my leaking 95L Auxiliary Fuel which has been welded several times,
but the aluminum develops tiny fatigue fractures after a while (probably due to chassis flex).

Does anybody know of a flexible substance that can be poured or sprayed into the empty tank to
create a flexible seal, thus preventing the diesel to leak out?

Alternatively, has anybody knowledge of a suitable tough plastic tanks that will fit in between the
rear Chassis rails?

Jorgen45
LC3 KDJ

PS. How do we get pictures onto the forum?

I'm doing some research if a Disco TD5 tank will fit in, on an 80 though.
Plenty about from scrap yards and has a pump and gauge sender in it, finding the whole items for about £25, just need to make up some brackets.

Jorgen said:
Hi Folks,

I need to repair or replace my leaking 95L Auxiliary Fuel which has been welded several times,
but the aluminum develops tiny fatigue fractures after a while (probably due to chassis flex).

Does anybody know of a flexible substance that can be poured or sprayed into the empty tank to
create a flexible seal, thus preventing the diesel to leak out?

Alternatively, has anybody knowledge of a suitable tough plastic tanks that will fit in between the
rear Chassis rails?

Jorgen45
LC3 KDJ

PS. How do we get pictures onto the forum?

Have a look at POR15 tank sealer. I'm not sure if it would seal the cracks if they were continually flexing though. Can you stop the tank flexing by altering the mounts?

I use photobucket to host my photos and copy the link into the forum.

Hello to everibody

I have also a LC 120 (2009) and i am looking for an auxiliary fuel tank. My 120 is the model that comes with the spare tire underneath, but i mounted already a rear bumper from Kaymar with the spare wheel carrier. The auxiliary tank that you mention on the first post is the original from Toyota? I know that for some markets (Australia and Africa) the LC 120 comes with two tanks - 180 liters total. Thats the configuration that i would like to have.
About the leaking tank, i cannot give big advice, but anyway i think its better to send him to repair in a specialized shop, to be whelded.

Best regards

would the Euro version of the 120 support a second OEM tank if you sourced on and fitted it?
Having a read around, the way the gauge works is it shows full when both tanks are full, as you empty one, a light on the dash comes on and the gauge goes back to full. This indicates your have one full tank left.

For this to work you would have to have the wiring loom as well as the dash light and gubbins. The ECU would also have to be told about it.

Having a look on my dash, I cannot see any place for the fuel light (I can see all the areas I should have other lights)

I'm guessing a second fuel tank on a 120 would be easier to do as an aftermarket which just has plumbing between the two creating one large 180 tank.

I looked into this about a year ago.
The prices for the Toyota aux tank, and fitments were far too much money.
This ruled out that option.
I looked at a flatish tank, very similar to the tank thats fitted to the passenger side of a Transit pick up truck, or the Iveco.
They were about 800mm long, 350mm wide, and about 300mm high, which could be fitted side ways between the rear chassis rails.
A few simple straps, from one rail to the other to hold it up in place.
There is a diesel cooling loop, located in that area, and I am not sure if it can be removed or not.

The way I was going to use the filling neck, which was in the center of the long side of the tank, near the edge, at a 45 degree angle, would be to drill a 75mm hole in the top edge of the rear bumper.
This could not be accessed when the rear door is closed.
So to fill the tank, was simple to open the rear door, reach through the hole, and take off the fill cap.
I was not plannining to couple the tanks together, too much hassle, but simply use a 'Wale' 12 volt submersible pump, to pump from the aux, tank to the main tank, the good Wale pumps for about £25 last very well in diesel.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Iveco-75E15-Fuel- ... 4a9fa664cc

Graham

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back