Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Axle breather

Tractionman

Country Flag
england
Anyone know how to tell if axle breather is blocked, thanks.

John.

Blow through it.

Well not sure what else to say CP. Put the tube to your lips and blow. I mean how technical can it be. It's what I do and it works every time.

Thanks guys, as the top of the tube is quite close to the under body, will unhook from clips and try that "technical" tip. I was thinking one way valves to keep sh/t out, but thinking again the clue is in the name, "breather" let air in AND out, - correct? Thanks for bearing with me on what must be very mundane things to you
Appreciate all the help however big or small.

John

Your right Tractionman, the breather does let air in and out of the axle. When the axle is in use it heats up and the air expands and escapes via the breather. It is obviously the opposite when the axle is cooling. Without the breather the pressure would build up inside the axle and would try and find the easiest path, usually through the axle or diff seals, possibly forcing some oil out at the same time. If you were to go through a ford or a deep puddle the axle can cool quickly drawing air into the axle, should your oil seals be submerged at the time then it could draw water into the casing and contaminate the oil, leading to premature axle wear.

Also Chris is quite right, blow through the tube and see if its blocked. If it is its not a hard job to sort, either take off the tube and blow it through with an air line or replace it with an extended breather kit.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Ecoman, your explanation hits on the reason I asked in the 1st place, although I didn`t mention - damp oil stains around the birfs and below = blocked breather.
Will check out and hope, but something tells me I am in for complete strip down and rebuild both sides.

John

What I didn't say is once you have blown through it and it's clear, try sucking through it. If you take one to pieces you will see that it actually has a rubber seal in there and it doesn't actually allow air in, which is a bit daft sounding. I guess that the action of driving and it jiggling around breaks that seal. But it's designed to be a one way valve. The Colorado back axle doesn't have a tube and this sits on the diff casing. I guess the last thing you want is water being pulled in. Generally speaking 70 and 80 front axles are a different kettle of fish in design terms. It's probably far more likely that you'd pull water in to one of those and a fairly well sealed back axle.

Mine was blocked recently even though I had checked it and it did push oil out of my rear axle, past the seal. Took it apart, changed the inner seal although it looked fine. Then just checked the little top hat thing and it was stuck. Still, whilst I was in there I did some other stuff so not a waste of time.

Chris, sorry for late reply, information always greatly appreciated.

John

Not a problem at all John. That's what we're here for.

I fitted the land rover put fit breathers on my lj70 and run them up to the air box via a quick release block so I don't get this problem any more all worked out about 15 quid or so from eBay

Craigmorley don't run them into the air box as the negative air pressure will draw oil out of the axle and into the filter housing. Best to run them either upthe outside of the snorkel or terminate them in an inverted U so that crud and water can't fall down into the tube.

I sell breather kits for Toyotas and always advise people to avoid plumbing them into the airbox.

Last edited:
Craigmorley don't run them into the air box as the negative air pressure will draw oil out of the axle and into the filter housing. Best to run them either upthe outside of the snorkel or terminate them in an inverted U so that crud and water can't fall down into the tube.

I sell breather kits for Toyotas and always advise people to avoid plumbing them into the airbox.

Ok ok thanks for the advise, is it ok to run attainted inside the cab the yeah? Thanks

Ok ok thanks for the advise, is it ok to run attainted inside the cab the yeah? Thanks

Without a snorkel, I'd just run them to your highest safe point, i.e. secured to the bulkhead at the same height as your air intake to the filter box.

That's what I'll be doing when the weather cools down enough for working outside... (Sorry guys, that was cruel, wasn't it...:lol:)

That's what I'll be doing when the weather cools down enough for working outside... (Sorry guys, that was cruel, wasn't it...:lol:)

:eusa-naughty: You will burn in Hell for that Clive.
devil-0060.gif

starting not to like the comments clive makes at the nice weather he gets. its been shite here for a couple of weeks now. going to the beach tonight for a surf in the rsain early in the morning. how far is the sea from you clive?? can we get him on that?
stu

He's not too far from the coast, about 200 miles to Constanta.

Aw c'mon chaps, I did my stint!

I didn't leave the UK till I was 47 so I had my fair share of rain/wind high taxes and jobsworth rules and regulations!

I stepped back in time coming here, 90% of it I found refreshing, and chose never to go back.

Im just promoting the place to add some incentive for the Romania 2015 trip, maybe we can get a few more on board with a promise of some sunshine.

OK, got the message, no more teasing...:whistle:

AND, if it's any consolation, this weekend it's raining heavily here and temps tomorrow will be a high of 21C. I note the forecast for Birmingham at the weekend is better than that, 19/21C and sunny!

We don't mind really Clive, just hope it's like that when we come visiting, otherwise you will get some ribbing. :lol:

Ribbing Chas? Seriously, it will be the most horrendous embarrassment!

I've been tempting too much fate lately, I'll give it a rest :lol:

Back