Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Back to the Future .

Almost had the mrs convinced her truck was as powerful as mine :eusa-liar: but she borrowed mine tonight and i've just had a very colourful text regarding power and speed :lol: i'm in the doghouse i think :teasing-wedgie:

Been so long since i updated this thread it took me 20 minutes to find it using google , it came as a shock when she said m.o.t is due soon so the KDJ is booked in at Prospeed for an exhaust and and i finally got around to letting the paint shop at it .

KDJ Paint 004.JPG

Looking good Shayne, what did the colour coding on the kdj set you back, would love to get mine done I I can find a decent painter.

Mine cost 300 about 3 years ago and the kdj was 350 .

That's a bloody good price! I only enquirer once I was quoted 550 which I thought was steep, did they remove all the plastics of yours or were they painted in situ

Mine were removed and they used a stanley knife to cut the rubber seal from the body :angry-screaming: Helen's was painted with everything in place but they didn't paint the rubber arch seals which are still grey :icon-rolleyes:

If i had a garage i would have done this myself with rattlecans as i have got reasonably confident with practice , but practice has also taught me not to paint outdoors .

Removing everything to be painted and sanding it down yourself before taking the parts to the paint shop is probably the best way to get a good result at a reasonable price i think .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looking good Shayne, like the Mr & Mrs look :lol:

Hoping you two are doing as well as the trucks look :icon-cool:

I got an ear bashing when they took the piss at work about the his and hers matching set :lol: as you know the plan was to have her toodling around in my spare truck so i'm prepared for that fateful day it all goes wrong and i end up on my roof .

Unfortunately i forgot about women's intuition and she is now telling me "if there was a better truck available you would be driving it" :doh:so yeah she has laid claim to it .

Nevermind it's kinda nice to know when your spending money on mods and paint etc that they will remain good for a long time while toodling around doing 4000 miles a year .

We are good as can be thanks for asking , funeral is on Wednesday and i do hope Helen will open the flood gates to let it all out because she has been disturbingly strong but you know how it is .

I got an ear bashing when they took the piss at work about the his and hers matching set :lol: as you know the plan was to have her toodling around in my spare truck so i'm prepared for that fateful day it all goes wrong and i end up on my roof .

Unfortunately i forgot about women's intuition and she is now telling me "if there was a better truck available you would be driving it" :doh:so yeah she has laid claim to it .

Nevermind it's kinda nice to know when your spending money on mods and paint etc that they will remain good for a long time while toodling around doing 4000 miles a year .

We are good as can be thanks for asking , funeral is on Wednesday and i do hope Helen will open the flood gates to let it all out because she has been disturbingly strong but you know how it is .

Certainly do Shayne, I hope she can let it go too.

Grief (if that's what it is) took me by surprise, thought I'd 'got over it' when suddenly it knocked me down flat, went all to pieces for a day or so, but now I really feel like I've come to terms.

Anyway, be there for Helen Wednesday, we'll be thinking of you both.

+1 on all that Clive. It's a funny (peculiar) thing is grief, it can happen for all sorts of reasons not just the obvious, but it does need to find its way out.

Thoughts are with you both from Lynn and I for Wednesday.

The KDJ90 now has a 3" turbo back exhaust and though i haven't driven it yet Helen reports that her truck is now just as good as mine and she would like a race :shock:

The KDJ90 now has a 3" turbo back exhaust and though i haven't driven it yet Helen reports that her truck is now just as good as mine and she would like a race :shock:

A race would put a lot of things into perspective with regards to engine choice and mods. :lol:

I will do a 0 to 60 test in both , probably next weekend as i am just recovering from learning first hand what hospitals mean when they warn people to stay away . Helen is just back and if i'm translating her female terminology correctly she thinks her truck might have a slight edge on mine due to the weight of my wheels .

Shayne it sounds like Helen is seriously wanting that drag race buddy and weighed up all bonuses of hers,go steady now as she will never let you down if she wins,and if she drives like my wife well what more can I say :laughing-rolling:

Very little scares me mate but she has me shaking in my boots :lol: she drives everything like a little old lady ,,,,,, except my truck , and now she has her own beast i may have created a monster !

Last edited:
When my wife gets behind the wheel of Bertha even the tractors bloody move out of her way :laughing-rolling: I'm sure she took it wrong when I said there built like a tank I think she must of thought I'd said it is a tank,scares the shit out of me.

Not sure about that Bob but now the powers up I'm a bit more concerned about the clunk in the transfer box . If it does turn out i need a chain might you have one ?

Shayne,

I'm afraid I don't. I did change one for a member whose chain was skipping under load. They don't have to be very worn to give trouble (his transfer box had been full of water & mud for a while so it was no great surprise).

Chains are quite expensive from Mr T, but they should be standard 'Hi-Vo' units so may be available at normal prices somewhere. Getting the exact spec might be an issue though.

Bob.

Just been for a spin around town in the KDJ and i think my 1KZ will lose the race .

Yet i still prefer my truck :think:

It's hard to quantify , i think its all in the delivery , mines brutal and instant while Helen's feels more like a petrol motor .

Heavy 16x8 steel wheels sporting 285/75 mud tyres against 16X7 factory alloys sporting 265/70 road tyres will likely alter character with the taller tyre changing gearing slightly and maybe the extra weight calls for more power before it moves ?

I don't know , and the jury is still out on how far i go to modify her truck .

Back