Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bad vibrations

Sometimes it is. I nagged my service for ages suspecting a UJ, but "they knew best" saying all ok.

But, I had 2 dry bearings next to each other out of the 4 on the rear end of the rear prop. They changed it and it was like driving a different truck, and a newer one at that!

I'm not suggesting it's the end of your troubles, but it can make a big difference. All these little niggles seem to join hands on transmissions, giving asymptoms of a bigger problem.
Yes i agree , getting rid of any backlash can only be a good thing.Alonso is a very good mechanic & more importantly is open minded & willing to be proved wrong.Diagnosing a problem is the hardest job for a mechanic..

Two things,
1: check and check again the tyres as they can cause major problems caused by imperfections that you can't always see at first glance, I once bought a car that had a vibration on it and kept taking it back, they changed the prop and CV joints to no avail and it wasn't until I got someone else to look at it on a ramp that there was a very slight bulge in the tread of one tyre.
2: Have you greased the splines on the props at any point? Too much grease forces the prop apart putting pressure on the UJs, diffs and transmission which can lead to vibrations.

Two things,
1: check and check again the tyres as they can cause major problems caused by imperfections that you can't always see at first glance, I once bought a car that had a vibration on it and kept taking it back, they changed the prop and CV joints to no avail and it wasn't until I got someone else to look at it on a ramp that there was a very slight bulge in the tread of one tyre.
2: Have you greased the splines on the props at any point? Too much grease forces the prop apart putting pressure on the UJs, diffs and transmission which can lead to vibrations.
We had a different set of tyres on it Tim & the vibes were the same.I am aware of the over greasing problem with the slip joint.thanks for the input.

Back