Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Banging my head against a wall.

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
So I've decided to stop using the 120 as a daily driver and get a new small car as a daily driver.
I current use about £130 (minimum) of diesel a week. The new car needs to cost me less, with fuel, than this. So far that is easily done by the Honda Jazz and Toyota Yaris save for.....insurance! Where is the F-ing angry smilie???

Chris Knott - £1115
After the hysterical laughter stopped, she said "if you find it better somewhere else, let us know." I used Chris's line "Why would I let you know?" She agreed it was pointless.

Aviva - circa £2600.
An online quote so no one to shout at.

Honda Insurance - Sorry for you, we will not insure you.

Compare the market - failed.
After filling out a ridiculously long form, I clicked next and it said "404 - page not found" and the quote went missing.
IT say they should have a new monitor for my by lunchtime.

Hold a clean licence for 9 years and only had the one claim totalling £1500 in June.

Some what frustrated and angered by this.

/ rant.

That's no good. Who's the 120 with? And try Adrian Flux & DirectLine (if you want to be associated with RBS!)

Which way round did you have things concerning main vehicle and second vehicle? Maybe that makes a difference.

The person I was speaking to at CN sounded like she had just found out her husband was sleeping with her sister and when driving way after being discovered, drove over a box full of kittens. Trying to shuffle the quotes around and try other options was just not happening.

None of the quotes have been multi-car. I’ll have a play later with various quotes. (riveting stuff)
I’ll try some other people today but true the told, I hold little hope. The idea was the insurance on the 120 would come down as it would change from 20k business a year to 5k pleasure. The new car would be business use.

So far I am tending towards and older car (yaris etc) for sub 3k and insure it 3rd party only but I was looking forward to “hassle free” car owning.
Toyota has a “1st year free insurance” option. Waiting to see what that brings…

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Something doesn't sound right there. If your insurance rating is currently that bad, there might be a nasty surprise waiting for you with your 120 renewal :o
Can you not find out from the insurers what car would be among the cheapest to insure. Maybe a different car (Polo?) would be better? I'm grasping at straws here...
Does adding Mrs P to the policy not drive the price down?

Maybe sticking with the 120 is the way to go - the small car would use maybe half the amount of diesel, so £65/week saving. A grand for insurance plus a £3k car means you'd need 62 weeks to breakeven, not factoring in the servicing & other runnings costs for the dinky car. Ok you'd have reduced insurance (maybe?) and maintenance costs for the 120 to throw in too.

Insure the car for SWMBO with you as a named driver??

Dare i say it?

Hybrid car :oops:

Gary Stockton said:
Insure the car for SWMBO with you as a named driver??
= fraud, I think, if the car is used primarily by the named driver especially for commuting/business use? :whistle: Just to make sure that we're all law-abiding citizens in the club :angelic-green:

Adding Denise brought it down to 2600 from 2700something.
Mrs Cheerful at CN said the 120 would not be hit as hard on renewal. She was going to give me a quote but I had lost the will to live.
The appeal for the Honda was free servicing for 4 years, £300 put towards insurance and claimed 55mpg (we all know that won’t happen) but the bottom line was still a net saving over using the 120. There is also a “hand the keys back when you don’t want it” clause after a waiting period so should my next contract land me in the city, I can hand It back and walk away.

I do think the maths works, just need to get the bloody insurance sorted.

As for insurance rating, I’m concerned as I have only had the one accident… wonder what else is lurking…

:thumbdown:

The problem is you are starting a new policy with zero no claims bonus. Had the same issue when I bought the 90. In the end I was able to get away with limited mileage (5k) and only 3rd party..... still came to £600 odd for the year.

Can you transfer you current no claims to the new car, and start again on the 120?

I hear you Tony, but seriously don't understand. Surely the NCB is for the primary driver and not the car?? Very weird - means every time you get a new vehicle you start from scratch even though you may have 10 accident-free years?

It's for the driver, but can only be used against one car. So if you have two cars, two sepparate policies, hence starting again!

Winds me up as if you have a accident with car A it will count against car B. Insurance companies... license to ROB us :roll:

I could never get good prices from the usual insurers that other forum members use (Adrian Flux, Chris Knott etc) but got the best deal from Admiral. they have a multi-car option too so might be worth a try.

Was speaking to someone earlier today, with insurance being compulsory, then the insurers need to be non-profit. These premiums are just crazy. :evil:

The only way to do it cheaply is not going to be available to you (IMO) because your 120 is still relatively new.

I have the 2 trucks, Land Cruiser & Land Rover.

Cruiser is the daily driver with the no claims discount attached to that policy. The Rover is on a classic policy with limited mileage & doesn't need or accrue any NCD.

Probably worth trying a multicar policy (I think Admiral do one) & there are motor trader policies also.

From my "Renewal arrived today..." thread:

Beau said:
I got my colorado insured for £155 on the Multi policy deal with admiral. well worth it! 10+ NCB
£155, for £200 excess, , EU travel and some other stuff.
The cruiser is Completly standard other than wheels.

I think it would be worth a call.... :thumbup:

Yup, going to see what it is like to move them all across.
In the past, and to be fair, never tried them, "normal" insurance companies baulked at the mods.

Crispin, have you tried fully comp? Sometimes 3rd party is far more expensive than fully comp. And +1 for Admiral for standard cars, they dont always come up in search engines.

Rob said:
Crispin, have you tried fully comp? Sometimes 3rd party is far more expensive than fully comp. And +1 for Admiral for standard cars, they dont always come up in search engines.

It is fully comp I have been trying.

Just got off the phone with Admiral went like this:
Them: The Land Cruiser - That's a 4x4?
Me: Yes.
Them: Do you 4x4 in it?
Me: Well, it's a 4x4 - yes.
Them: We won't be able to insure it then. Also, don't bother with Elephant and {mumbled some other companies} as we're all the same.
Me: Thanks for you time.

Click

Back