Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Basic help with Memory Map anyone?

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
OK, I have to admit defeat here and it's not a Mac V Pc thing, I simply don't know what I'm doing. I'd really appreciate some guidance on getting MM up and running. Well up and stable actually.

Some background:
I'm running Windows Starter on an e-machines net book. 1.66 hz and 2gb ram (I stuck some extra in)
I have a Global Sat BU 353 usb reciever
Loads and loads of MM files and things

I have the GPS recognised and it most certainly has plotted my position. But he GPS info tool that comes with it simply will not work. This gives you GPS info without any mapping. It's a little stand alone app I guess. Gives sat position, signal strength etc.

I have loaded MM and found a local map, had my position plotted and moving - but after about a minute it stops working and freezes. It is impossible to clear. I have tried everything. You simply cannot quit. It's a restart every time.

I seem to have at least three version of memory map and have tried loading each of them. I get different result each time and frankly I don't understand half the error message that I get.

So if there is anyone who could PM me through the right sequence, versions, files etc to get me running reliably, I would be hugely appreciative. I have un-installed a couple of times too. I don't have a DVD drive, CD so I had to copy the DVDs to my Mac then onto a stick and transfer them to the PC - but that all went fine.

I have an old Gobal Sat blue-tooth receiver which I connected with a little BT dongle thing and that did seem to work originally. It was in the fire so is a bit messed up and doesn't hold a charge like it should hence the new GPS.

So like I say - if anyone has the time and inclination, I'd appreciate it. I don't understand why it works then freezes. I have had it working continuously at the start.

Chris Clusterflop

Was it working ok before you put extra memory in? Sudden freezing can be bad memory so just eliminating that really. I don't have a lot of MM experience to offer.

Err, now that's a tricky one Jon as I changed so many things at the same time. I don't think it froze before, no, but then I did do software changes at the same time and installed the new GPS thingy.

It seems to be running perfectly well on other tasks when I load it up. Is there a system check that I can do to see if it has brain box issues?

Chris

The fault can be in a part of the memory that's only used when you run a program that needs lots of memory. Might be a red herring, just something I've had trouble with in the past. There are (or were) memory checker programs but I haven't used on for so long I couldn't recommend one.

It could also be a.n. other hardware fault e.g. in the usb port hardware. Have you got any other software that talks to the GPS you can try, like say the trial version of Autoroute 2010 which you can download? See if that runs into similar problems?

Right that is downloading via my new 22 meg BT broadband. Going to be 30 mb shortly once the finish the connection to Infinity. Whoohoo.

Chris

It seems to be working fine Jon. Quite good that Autoroute. I might see how much it is.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
ok, not a conclusive test but leaning towards a software fault in MM. Autoroute is not bad and I do like the avoid area function but the depiction of junctions on motorways etc is not quite as idiot proof as say a TomTom.

I have a similar problem with my mm. It plots and tracks fine for a while then freezes. Can't clear it unless I restart. Haven't resolved it yet so watching this thread with interest. Gps dongle works perfectly with mobile pc so can only assume it's a mm software issue.

Ryan, which version of MM are you attempting to run?

Just been to my Mum's and AR ran perfectly. Even plotted which side of the road I was driving on.

Chris

I had exactly the same with a notebook and MM
I did post on here somewhere all about it if you have a look, I would find the link but stuck in a crap hotel using my phone internet.

I run MM ver.4 on my netbook, a second laptop and my main pc with no issues at all,
i use the same usb Gps dongle in both the netbook and the laptop (not both together obviously)

don't have running glitches while out (unless i loose the gps signal)

I'm running V5

My mobile PC works fine too. Most of the time I have both running, with the help of GPSgate, and it's always MM than goes all t*ts up.... :thumbdown:

Cheers Paul. I don't remember that or I'd have looked in more detail. I wouldn't have read it as I didn't have MM then! :doh:

Chris

Nice to hear that you don't have any issues running MM Red, could you perhaps then explain why? That would be a help :lol:

Sorry Carl, it was basically a form of friendly sarcasm. I'm having difficulties and needed help and you replied that yours was working fine. Which was all the advice I needed short of actual help! :cool: Yes, I have tried removing, reinstalling etc. That's the point at which I need help 'cos just doing the same thing over and over is pathetic but all I can manage. The GPS is functioning perfectly well. Autoroute starts, stops, sleeps, wakes up, plots, calculates and even tucks me in at night. But MM is giving me the heave-ho.

Wanna swap machines?

Chris

Well I dug out my old fried Bluetooth GPS sender today and a cheap dongle that I got in Hong Kong. Connected it all up and despite device manager saying that there wasn't a driver available and not being able to find one on the net, I didn't hold out much hope. Well it's working fine. Been on for an hour, been to sleep twice (the PC not me) woken up and it's still mapping

For some reason it just doesn't like the new USB receiver.

Chris

When I was struggling with my USB GPS puck Chris, turned out there was a clash with another port so once I'd got it on a fresh port & kept plugging the puck into the same USB, things fell into place nicely...

Good to hear you have it running nicely now though :cool:

You always were a little pucker Gav.

Hey any chance of my Garmin coming home? I could plug that in instead!

Yes it's an odd thing Gav, there is something not right with it. It doesn't just plug into the USB and work, it has to create some virtual port or some b****s.

It comes with a GPS info app that shows it's all working properly and despite the device manager saying it's tickety boo the GPS app won't work indicating that it's tickety fnurk.

Bloody PCs, I really don't know why you lot put up with this cra...Oh hang on, we've done that thread :lol: :roll:

Chris

Have you checked in control panel / device manager that a com port is being created? Not all USB serial devices automaticaly assign a serial port, you sometimes have to assign them. If you can see it as a com port in device manager and assuming that's the port you tell MM to use what baud rate are you setting it to? If the baud rate is wrong it won't work.

Thanks Jon, but yes, I have done all of that. Baud rates, com ports and LPT etc etc. I have had to learn all of this stuff again. There is clearly some little thingy not quite right. I have Googled, reinstalled, looked for patches blah blah. All seems to be working normally - other than the fact tat it doesn't actually work properly.

Stuck my other GPS in and Hey Presto.

Chris

Back