Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Basic tools to buy for self servicing land cruiser.

Rich, I was confused between 200 n 300 then thought big number might be better. If 200 is enough, I ll go for that.
I have model 60 covering 12-60, then 200 is 60-200. 300 is 40-300.
Another reason was if I take 300, I have 2 wrenches working bet 40-60 so felt I might ve more choice

200 is 40-200 and 300 is 60-300, so the 200 gives better overlap. There's not much that you need over 200 Nm for and at that point you might be better served with a bigger wrench.

Reactions: Raj
Oh thank you Rich buying tools is confusing. It took a while to get used to those names. Wrench, ratchet etc :) all I knew was spanner, screwdriver nut n bolt.
Will update my list to 200 wrench

As someone with limited practical experience but keen to carry out more jobs myself in the future I’ve found this a very useful thread. Thanks all the contributors.
Raj, I’m keen to know how you’ve progressed with your maintenance and servicing, if you’re happy to share!

Hi Springate, I got my tools based on suggestions from this thread. So far I am comfortably doing oil changes, fuel filter, cabin filter, air filter, cabin air filter as regular maintenance. I did these 4-5 times since I started doing on my own. I won’t go to garages for regular servicing and since I am doing on my own, I am doing this between 3-5K miles.
Was able to do AHC fluid flush, coolant change, propshaft greasing, differential oil change also.
Not doing heavy stuff like tyre changes, breaks etc. I tried but couldn’t crack wheel nuts. I might try those after I buy some impact tool.
I use suggestions from here, project 200 and Jaffa adventures as my process manuals

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Raj, who put the wheel nuts on - are you sure theyre torqued correctly and not over tightened?

If you cant crack the nuts at home with tools, youll have no chance at the side of the road with the factory wheel brace!

Hi Springate, I got my tools based on suggestions from this thread. So far I am comfortably doing oil changes, fuel filter, cabin filter, air filter, cabin air filter as regular maintenance. I did these 4-5 times since I started doing on my own. I won’t go to garages for regular servicing and since I am doing on my own, I am doing this between 3-5K miles.
Was able to do AHC fluid flush, coolant change, propshaft greasing, differential oil change also.
Not doing heavy stuff like tyre changes, breaks etc. I tried but couldn’t crack wheel nuts. I might try those after I buy some impact tool.
I use suggestions from here, project 200 and Jaffa adventures as my process manuals
Thanks, Raj. Must be a great sense of satisfaction as well as peace of mind and cost saving!

Reactions: Raj
Now I found Temu I added some small tools like pack of different washers, trim removal kit and rubber for Jack. I should find breaker bar too here.

I ve to order rubbers for 4 jack stands as well. Each time I use these, I feel I am hurting the chasis by lifting it on metal stands.

I ve to order rubbers for 4 jack stands as well. Each time I use these, I feel I am hurting the chasis by lifting it on metal stands.

Best thing to do Raj is buy some heavy duty reinforced radiator hose. Slit it down the middle with a hacksaw or a dremel. Put that over your axle stands. Nice and secure, and a perfect cushion!

Just a heads up on a good replacement jack if anyone else is after one.

The OE telescopic is an OK thing but it is slow to use and the three piece handle is a PITA. On my 70 I replaced the handle with one from a Daihatsu Fourtrak which is single piece and thus doesn’t wobble everywhere, I stored it next to the bonnet stay.

On the FJ the OE jack wasn’t tall enough to lift the front end once lifted (chassis lift) so I bought a telescopic 4tonne jack from SGS which was OK but the seal failed this year and no seal kit available.

After much searching and deciding most on offer with enough lift were all the same jack as the SGS unit I found that the Mercedes Sprinter OE jack is perfect. 3 tonne lift, telescopic with plenty of height and pump not wind up so faster to use. Loads for sale and most unused on ebay and FB, I picked up a brand new one locally for £25. Bargain!
IMG_1493.jpeg

How old was the SGS one when it failed? How much work had it done?
I guess about 8yrs as that’s how long I had my FJ. Used for tyre rotation every 5,000 miles so 8 times, plus a few other jobs like fitting sliders and bits, but nothing where it would have been under heavy load so didn’t expect a failure.

A proper telesocopic one is what I was talking about, not the oem meccano put together one supplied.

I've had a Weber jack as supplied with Sprinters as above for many years, and as already said, so much better than oem wind up thing which I never felt safe with, especially at the side of the road. The 'forked' top is great for under axles etc, and I have a solid, shaped piece of rubber for any flat surfaces, chassis rails etc..

Another good one is a space saving fold up axle stand for out on the road, so you are not in harms way with just a jack, although the Sprinter one is well up to it.

Back