Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Battery heat

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
I have cut the near side battery tray to enable the fitting of two batteries there, one for the axillary wiring.

A few weeks ago the 'normal' battery that is there packed up, it sits quite close to the rad and top hose.

I have just found this:-
Battery capacity is reduced as temperatures go down. This is why your car battery dies on a cold winter morning. Capacity is increased at temperatures over 25 C (77 F), but battery life is shortened. Battery capacity is reduced by 50% at -22 degrees F. Battery life is reduced at higher temperatures - for every 15 degrees F over 75, battery life is cut in half, for ANY type of Lead-Acid battery, whether sealed, gelled, etc.
Has anyone else done the same mod and had a battery pack up... of am I just being paranoid and mine packing up was just coincidence?

I've heard the battery / temperature thing before.
I would imagine that the battery would have to be touching the hose and not just close too it.
Interesting though, perhaps a peice of lagging between the hose / rad and the battery may be enough to alleviate any problems.

Hi Paul

I'm about to do the "3 batteries in the engine compartment" mod. Paul H showed me his setup at Lincomb and it looked really neat. Will save me space seeing that we'll have 4 ppl in the car! Also good timing seeing that I have to call the AA every Saturday when I go visit my truck as she's parked way away from me :(
Paul also sent me the info on a good battery selection which was the Numax CXV24's that tick all the boxes size and power wise. I asked around on ebay and they have them for £70 each so I need to call manbat tomorrow and find out their (probably better) price..

So thanks again Paul H! :) and Les for the tip about the separation.. I'll do the same..

Hi Matt,

It was after seeing Paul H's set up that I did mine the same :thumbup:

I used the Numax Premium Silver 078 see here.

I'll take some photos tomorrow so you can see my set up.

I'm just conscious of heat issues as we are off to Morocco in 3 weeks and the air temp out there will be around 40C.

Under bonnet temps are causing a lot of problems for my customers here in Spain. Batteries do not like the cold or hot hence the isolation boxes and covers/seals used on many cars.

I would look through the breakers yards for some insualted battery covers, Peugot/Renault/Citroens have some decent ones where they wrap around the battery and close with press studs, the Ford range have some good ones as well.

regards

Dave

Hi Paul

If you do have any pics I'd be very interested to see - seeing that my batteries failed yet again this afternoon after playing the radio for a good 15mins! :?
Tomorrow it's time for 2 x Numax CXV24's for the starters and then a deep cycle guy for the leisure set up as I have wired the entire system up now (and imho it looks great, all hidden etc and used "industrial quality" wiring/fuses/etc). Lastthing I need to switch it on is the third battery :)
Last last step will be fitting them in of course hence my request :)

Thanks a lot if you have them and can post them..
Matt

Bat21 said:
Hi Matt,

It was after seeing Paul H's set up that I did mine the same :thumbup:

I used the Numax Premium Silver 078 see here.

I'll take some photos tomorrow so you can see my set up.

I'm just conscious of heat issues as we are off to Morocco in 3 weeks and the air temp out there will be around 40C.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Matt Wright said:
If you do have any pics I'd be very interested to see
Here you go Matt, apologies for the delay:-

971899028_86GSg-O.jpg

I have now placed a piece of AirTech aluminum between the battery and the top hose, this will hopefully deflect some of the heat:-
971898972_vjnkX-O.jpg

I have a very simlar setup but I have 2 full size main batteries which means that the 24v/12v switching solenoid and a couple of other things needed to be moved back a bit including extending the cables.

One thing I cant get my head over, how do you keep you engine bay so clean :shock: :? Mine looks like it has sat in a mud windscreen high.

Back