Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Best engine monitoring system for landcruiser

Peter L

Country Flag
denmark
Hi
I was looking around for best engine monitoring system for landcruiser.
The issues I am having with my HDJ80 from 1997 (with manual transmission) are

1. Gauge readings in dashboard are no longer precise, esp. oil pressure meter is always showing low (although there is no issue when checking it manually).
  2. Voltmeter is working, but I would like to see the exact value instead of just a visual indication. Also I want to see warning when it’s time to charge the batteries.
  3. Preferably only *one* unit which can make all the required measurements incl. associated alarms and warnings.

So instead of spending time & money on diagnosing issue and possibly fixing dashboard, I am raising this issue in forum.
Any suggestion is welcome.

Br
Peter

Thanks a lot Charlie.
Looks like madman is more or less the same as scintex.
Do you have any experience with this product?
br Peter

Yeah, I had the system fitted to my old 80. Bassicly worked ok, but it did have a few issues mainly with sensors.

That's interesting as I have madman too and the issues I had were poor earthing for the sensors by the installer and if the earth points are not completely fantastic, it can give some erroneous readings e.g. I found the power windows were changing the boost pressure and I was testing it a lot with my old rubbers and managed to pull the window out of its actuator - doh. Madman are very approachable via email though (Brian Cotton). I do have an installation guide and a fault-finding diagram if you want them [PM]. Charlie which sensors proved to be duds with you? Brian told me the sensors can fail but by far the largest issue was bad earths.

I had to replace the EGT sensor, and the low oil pressure alarm played up if I remember correctly.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Zada tech's stuff is very cool, and you can hook it up to a double DIN stereo with the right bits

Does anyone have the diagram showing the proper position for those sensors of HDJ81? Oil pressure, oil temperature, ...

also, did you install the air fuel ration sensor?

Thx

My Madman EMS1 is 9 years old and still working ok

I think ARB have produced something for this purpose if you fancy selling a kidney???

Hi All!
Now my concern is the setup/ installation of those sensors! Would it be replaced the original sensors and connect to the non-factory monitoring system for HDJ81V? I don't think that it would be! Thanks.

Currently making my own temperature monitor for mine, just a fun project at the moment to measure engine, A/T, and diff temps. So much stuff out there is for OBD2 cars only, and the Prado 90 series at least here in Australia is not an OBD2 compliant car - only became mandatory here in 2006 or similar.

Back