Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Beware of dirty Diesel

That's it then, we'll have to join EU so they can sort us out.

Meanwhile I'll be using my monster gallon fuel filter funnel I borrowed from Sir Thomas McAlpine when he was building the M5 past Bristol. I'm sure the bloke at the station won't mind holding it.

Other products are available

When I ran on bio for a while from a proper producer, every so often the water in filter light would come on. This was triggered by a thicker darker ‘fluid’ building up in the filter. The producer said (and I have no reason to doubt him) that nobody else had reported this. I guessed it was left over glycerol from the process, and that the Toyota filter was of such superior quality as to pull it out of the fuel.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I see that flint has mentioned the marine world.

Quite a few leisure boats and probably almost all commercial vessels run some sort of polishing system which circulates the fuel through a separate filter either back to the original tank in smaller vessels or to a ready use tank in larger vessels. In addition, most boats will have a filter before the on engine filter. It's a risk thing I suppose that causes marine users to be more 'filter conscious' and / or a combination of poor storage and low turnover of marine diesel.

The filtering gets rid of water and particulates. Regular 'maintenance' dosing with Fuel Doctor or one of the other biocides prevents the growth of bacteria.

What it doesn't do is deal with the additives which seem to have unpleasant side effects for seals and the like.

https://www.asap-supplies.com/fuel-systems/fuel-filters-elements-spares/marine-engine-fuel-filters

I think if I was lucky enough to go overlanding, I'd consider a fuel polishing system. Maybe I'd use the auxilliary tank as the ready use tank and polish the fuel to it from the main tank.

Other products are available

Just watched the Fuel Doctor video, thanks for putting it on here for us, for me it demonstrates how lax the standards are on fuel, I feel the responsibility of cleaning the fuel with chemicals lies squarely at the feet of the suppliers.
Another point was it seems the busiest stations are the ones to avoid, although we might have concluded that their fuel was “ fresher” ie cleaner, it seems not.
My resolve now is to regularly treat all the vehicles , all the time.
When I removed the inspection plate of the fuel tank on my Bruiser I was looking for contaminates on the fuel pickup filter, well, it was clean as the proverbial, I might mention I have always since owning the vehicle been a regular red x or Wynn’s user, ( and Shell buyer) I can’t say this action was the reason it was clean but I was happy it was clean. The problem that I was looking for a cure for was mechanical and got sorted:
So, another “ essential” to take when we overlanding , at least it don’t take up a lot of space. Thanks to all for their input,
Best regards to all, Bill Westley

Back