Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Beware travelling in Spain!

Yesterday morning I was testing the 80 after having some alternator issues. Despite being quite early (06.30), I was stopped by the Guardia Civil, they were simply carrying out breathalyser tests. As I am now unsure of the procedure used in the UK I thought I would put up the Spanish version just in case your Spanish is poor.........like mine.

Normally there is a simple sign stating they are doing 'pruebas de alcohol' or 'control de alcohol' but that is not always the case.

In one hand the officer will have a testing machine and in the other a handful of plastic bags containing mouth pieces. You take one of the plastic bags and open it, remove the mouth piece, the officer will keep hold of the machine while you are requested to push the smaller nozzle of the mouth piece into the machine, he will hold the machine firm as you push the nozzle in, it is quite a tight fit. Then he will ask you to blow into the mouth piece, after a few seconds you will hear and feel a click. The machine will bleep and you will be requested to removed the mouth piece from the machine (this is now yours to keep as a souvenir), at no time will the officer touch the mouth piece, and now you are done....well hopefully just metaphorically speaking.

If you record 0.00 or under 50mg in 100ml of breath then he will send you on your way. Now, if you are just over it is 'rumoured' that you will be asked to park at the side of the road and wait. When the police pack up and move on you will be tested again, if under the limit you will be warned and that is that.

If you are over the limit and the police are not feeling benevolent then you could get a fine there and then. Also you will have at least 3 points taken off your (Spanish) licence or added to your UK one, the authorities here are well in contact with the UK DVLC. There are some caveats for example, if you are a professional driver for example HGV or Taxi then the limits are lower but unsure by how much, perhaps 25Mg per 100ml? If you have only held your full licence for two years or under then IIRC 30mg per 100ml and you may lose your licence.

If you are involved in an accident where alcohol was deemed have been a contributing factor then you are NOT insured and you will pay for the third party damage from your own pocket, and prison time is not unheard of even if there was no accident!

And on the brighter side, cyclists have the same rules and sentences.

And now to zebra crossings, the rules here appear to be changing.

It has always been considered that once a person steps on the crossing they have right of way in the UK, the same is here in Spain however, the black and white lines have also always been painted where there are traffic light controlled crossings. So even if there is a 'red man' facing the person about to cross the road they will still just walk out into the path of traffic, those white lines are now being removed. One of the most common accidents that happens here is when a vehicle is at a red light waiting to turn left of right, the waiting vehicle gets a flashing amber arrow allowing for them to make the turn but, someone crossing the road will have a green man and of course the zebra crossing. They have right of way even though you are in the middle of making a manoeuvre. The problem it seems is that even when the green man has turned red they see the black and white lines as a 'right' to cross the road which is not the case. So eventually there will be no black and white zebra painted on the floor at light controlled crossings.

Some countries are putting red and green lights on the floor for people who do not look up from their mobile phone.........could just be a rumour?

Have a safe journey and holiday over here.

regards

Dave

Just a quick one (no you can stop thinking like that!), the local Eroski supermarket has had their own petrol station built, this is Spain catching up with the supermarket/cheaper fuel at their garage thinking. I try to use the garage where my fuel account is (a must if you are registered business in Spain), but I thought I would fill with the Eroski offering as their opening prices were to good an offer to pass up. So I pulls onto the pump and pull the nozzle from it's holder, looking at the display and waiting for it to show all the 'zero's' and nothing, the display is blank? Good bloody start for a new station methinks!

I put the nozzle back in and guessed the pump was broke, even if the cash desk knows about it they might not have got around to putting a note on it. Pulls forward to the next pump and the same thing? So thinking I might be missing something on these new self service pumps (the majority of this part of Spain is still attended service), I swap my sunglasses for my reading glasses, but it is ok now the display is on show. Put on my sunglasses, go to fill up and the display has disappeared again, my recently purchased sunglasses or 'gaffers de sol' have some kind of anti glare coating, and the LCD displays do not show through them unless right in front of the display!!

It is entirely possible you guys in the more modern world have already experienced this? If not then you have been warned!

And yes I did feel like a pratt!

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Just a quick one (no you can stop thinking like that!), the local Eroski supermarket has had their own petrol station built, this is Spain catching up with the supermarket/cheaper fuel at their garage thinking. I try to use the garage where my fuel account is (a must if you are registered business in Spain), but I thought I would fill up as their opening prices were to good an offer to pass up. So I pulls onto the pump and pull the nozzle from it's holder, looking at the display and waiting for it to show all the 'zero's' and nothing, the display is blank?

I put the nozzle back in and guessed the pump was broke, even if the cash desk knows about it they might not have got around to putting a note on it. Pulls forward to the next pump and the same thing? So thinking I might be missing something on these new self service pumps (this part od Spain is still attended service), I swap my sunglasses for my reading glasses, but it is ok now the display is on show. Put on my sunglasses, go to fill up and the display has disappeared again, my recently purchased sunglasses or 'gaffers de sol' have some kind of anti glare coating, and the LCD displays do not show through them unless right in front of the display!!

It is entirely possible you guys in the more modern world have already experienced this? If not then you have been warned!

And yes I did feel like a pratt!

regards

Dave

I'm guessing your new sunnies are polarised, it's the effect of the polarising filter on some displays, which are also polarised but in the opposite direction (think of a polarising filter is being like railings, letting light through in only one direction). Some ATMs and card machines do the same

Yep that must be it Moggy, they are the same RB brand just a different model, I needed to get a pair that let more light through, I never gave it a thought they would be different technology.

regards

Dave

yup, same here! Most are self service though, and yes sunnies on head when gassing up :)

Yep, bins on me ead now! I think I have been spoilt with the attended service TBH Steve, I guess I am getting lazy? Odd that we went from four petrol stations to six almost overnight, and yet the population does not appear to be growing? Good for the consumer as they are all within about a three mile square, but they all put their prices up on Friday evening and reduce them early Monday morning! Catches all the market crowd and weekenders here having a break.
regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
In the spares shop yesterday morning, a discussion was going on about a customer who had just been fined due to a faded (one) letter on his rear number plate, to say he was p*ssed off is an understatement. ONE letter had faded and he was stopped and fined 200.00 euros, WTF!! I knew the fines had been increased over here but hell that is a kick. As a resident he is given 15 days grace to pay 100 euros, or the 200 plus additional administration fees if he is late.

The point of the post is that as a visitor on holiday, you will not be afforded that grace, the 200 will need to be paid there and then! Just check yours are legible and not cracked.

The number plates in Spain are not Perspex like the UK versions (although they can be especially ordered), the normal versions are a metal plate, this has a coating of black paint and then a second coating of a thin white film. The shop uses number/letter dies to cut into the white, and then peel off the white layer revealing the black underneath, quite an antiquated system for sure. But with a few knocks and car washes, it is not long perhaps five - seven years (YMMV) before the black paint fades or the white film starts to lift off.

regards

Dave

In the spares shop yesterday morning, a discussion was going on about a customer who had just been fined due to a faded (one) letter on his rear number plate, to say he was p*ssed off is an understatement. ONE letter had faded and he was stopped and fined 200.00 euros, WTF!! I knew the fines had been increased over here but hell that is a kick. As a resident he is given 15 days grace to pay 100 euros, or the 200 plus additional administration fees if he is late.

The point of the post is that as a visitor on holiday, you will not be afforded that grace, the 200 will need to be paid there and then! Just check yours are legible and not cracked.

The number plates in Spain are not Perspex like the UK versions (although they can be especially ordered), the normal versions are a metal plate, this has a coating of black paint and then a second coating of a thin white film. The shop uses number/letter dies to cut into the white, and then peel off the white layer revealing the black underneath, quite an antiquated system for sure. But with a few knocks and car washes, it is not long perhaps five - seven years (YMMV) before the black paint fades or the white film starts to lift off.

regards

Dave
Spain was late to the party when it comes to screwing money out of motorist but now they are making up for it with a vengeance.I've just been warned off by a mate from somewhere I've been parking in town for 15 + years.it seems that it's a "paseíllo" an access but there's no sighins up & the local cops have just been taking photos & sending off the fines later - no tickets issued.I'm not sure if it's legal but as my mate said " these sons of whores make it up as they go"

Spain was late to the party when it comes to screwing money out of motorist but now they are making up for it with a vengeance.I've just been warned off by a mate from somewhere I've been parking in town for 15 + years.it seems that it's a "paseíllo" an access but there's no sighins up & the local cops have just been taking photos & sending off the fines later - no tickets issued.I'm not sure if it's legal but as my mate said " these sons of whores make it up as they go"

There was a press release last year about motorists who may be fined for speeding, it was declared there may be no photographic evidence. Yep, they are really going to give the motorist some grief now IMO.

regards

Dave

Just as a comparison Dave, here in Romania it's zero alcohol tolerance. The police will first ask to see your documents, 'talon' a mini version of your vehicle registration, insurance cert and driving license. If in good order, they are returned to you except for the licence, that goes in the cops' back trouser pocket. The breathalyser routine is the same as yours, but if you register 00.01 or more, the licence is not returned. The rest is a bit hit and miss depending on the officer, the location and the weather!
Usually, you lose the licence for 3months, when it's returned, usually taking several interviews, some 'spaga' (inducement of the monetary kind) you'll get it back, but I've known it to take 6 months!
A local licence will be endorsed with 3 points, but I would run into problems because after 90 days, I should have traded my UK licence for a Romanian, and I have refused.
If over zero and an accident of any sort, that's big trouble and an open house in fines imprisonment etc.

Take care drinking and driving here, don't do it is the best option!

Number plates here are one type only, issued by the police at the front of a day-long queue.

They are pressed white painted aluminium, and the raised characters are painted black, and it's like a weak undercoat finish! 2 or 3 car washes and it's grey, anything more rigorous and you're in for a DIY touch up.

But, the police are very relaxed about them.

I apologise if any of this has been said,

Roundabouts in Spain. You can ONLY leave a roundabout from the right hand lane, no matter if dual or triple carriage way. Cars in the right hand lane will cut in front of you and carry on all the way around, in the right hand lane. They are correct!

As other countries are being talked about, will add that on entering Bosnia, you have to show a European green card insurance, if I'm travelling, always make sure that I have it, but first time I have been asked.

Re the roundabouts that makes sense. You should not cross a white line left or right of you as traffic in those lanes has right of way. Stay between your lines until it's clear to cross. You could keep in the right hand lane all the way round until 3rd exit but be careful nobody cuts across you. lol. If there are no white lines on the roundabout there is only one lane no matter how wide the road is so it's first come first served. With care !

Amsterdam was a bit of a nightmare. Car lanes, tram lanes and bicycle lanes.

Interesting about the roundabout exit. I was taught in the UK to use the conventional method, and when training for HGV licence I was taught the same way, because in Europe the HGV's are taught the same way as the UK. Now I arrive in Spain and find that 'some' cars go all the way around and HGV's do the conventional route as per UK.

I did a little research and it seems the rules 'bend' depending on the circumstances, vehicle size and if you are not from Spain and did not 'understand the rules', I will have to have a look for a Spanish highway code, assuming there is one?

I still use the conventional HGV method and have done for many years without incidence.

Oh gawd, me and my big mouth!

regards

Dave

This was mentioned in another thread when discussing navigation, to keep this thread up to date I will post it here as well.

During a conversation about sat navs with some Spanish mechanics at breakfast this week, a rumour came to light that the Guardia Civil are stopping cars that have a sat nav device (TomTom and the like), attached to the windscreen and are fining them for obstructed vision. Without doubt there are some people who feel if they put the unit right in front of them or just below the RVM that this is ok. From a common sense point of view yes it is stupid to reduce your field of vision, so perhaps the fine for being a pratt is justified? Given that these devices tend to always be fitted with a 'sucker' on the screen I am unsure where this is headed?

I have looked up the install diagram for a TomTom device, it shows the correct position as the lower left or right (depends whether left or right hand drive), corner of the screen and as close to the dashboard as possible, so minimal reduction in field of vision. If I were a cop then I would consider this as ok, I will try to get some kind of official comment on this later next week.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
This was mentioned in another thread when discussing navigation, to keep this thread up to date I will post it here as well.

During a conversation about sat navs with some Spanish mechanics at breakfast this week, a rumour came to light that the Guardia Civil are stopping cars that have a sat nav device (TomTom and the like), attached to the windscreen and are fining them for obstructed vision. Without doubt there are some people who feel if they put the unit right in front of them or just below the RVM that this is ok. From a common sense point of view yes it is stupid to reduce your field of vision, so perhaps the fine for being a pratt is justified? Given that these devices tend to always be fitted with a 'sucker' on the screen I am unsure where this is headed?

I have looked up the install diagram for a TomTom device, it shows the correct position as the lower left or right (depends whether left or right hand drive), corner of the screen and as close to the dashboard as possible, so minimal reduction in field of vision. If I were a cop then I would consider this as ok, I will try to get some kind of official comment on this later next week.

regards

Dave
I remember my first ITV & the hand wringing that went on in the test centre as to the location of the sticker.putting it on the right as normal ment drivers side on my imported car & the claim that it could impede my vision & lead to a fine.I pointed out that I could obscure a low flying plane but this,didn't go down too well.as ever the ways of gouging money out of motorist are endless....

I have not had any issues with the stickers so far. I guess you have seen those that think it is a great idea to line the stickers up keeping the previous 10 years +, I wonder how the police will break that tradition?

regards

Dave

I have not had any issues with the stickers so far. I guess you have seen those that think it is a great idea to line the stickers up keeping the previous 10 years +, I wonder how the police will break that tradition?

regards

Dave

Here the sticker is about the size of a 50p piece and they stick it between the numbers and the letters on the front number plate.

We have a test every 2 years, and the new sticker goes on top of the old one.

Every 2 years is a big gap Clive for an ageing vehicle, here it varies for example. New cars no ITV until the end of 4 years. Then 2 yearly until 10 years old and then yearly.

If the car is purchased for use as a rental then every two years from new, this came to light recently, a clients family member was stopped by the police, they allowed him to complete the journey. He then contacted the care hire company and they turned up with another car and took the non legal one away.

If commercial 2 years before first ITV, then yearly until 10 years old and then every 6 months.

Regards

Dave

It's simple stuff here Dave, 2 years from first registration, and every 2 years thereafter.

Back