Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Beware travelling in Spain!

:think: 24 hours travel and about 400 quid to get one home , or maybe i will go to halfords :lol:

oh sorry i forgot you are not near your boat/vessel

It's a good idea i must have a fair few safety ornaments on the boat that will never be used , it passed its version of mot a few months ago and everything will be out of date before its tested again . I will be collecting two 12v gel batteries next time i'm on it which might remind me to steal some of the stuff i paid for :lol:

I cannot for the life of me remember if this got posted up?

Recently the use of 'plain clothes' police cars has been increased however, this has brought with it an increase in false 'pulls and fines'.

Invariably a non Spanish plated vehicle would be stopped and the driver fined on the spot for speeding or whatever. The occupants paid up and went on their way. Then it transpired there were a lot of cops pocketing the money, then it came about and these were not 'real cops'. Unsure if we can read into that or not but, the Guardia Civil now have posters asking you to contact them direct if you feel you may have been stopped by an imposter.

So, if you get stopped by the police/Guardia Civil in a plain unmarked car, check that there are TWO police officers and they are both in uniform, any doubts whatsoever (even if the do have blue lights), you are invited to call 112. This will be answered by someone who can or will put you through to an English speaking official, you give them the registration of the vehicle that has stopped you and they will confirm whether the vehicle is genuine or not. The police officers if genuine will give you time to carry out this check, given their covert vehicle status they pretty much expect it.

Also note: Those that have holiday homes here, your 'Notarised' copy of your drivers licence is no longer a guarantee you will not be fined for not carrying the original, presently circa 150 euros. Fines for failing to stop at a STOP sign will now cost you circa 135 euros, with this it is prudent to stop, and pause for around 5 seconds before moving on. Children not in proper seats or boosters 300 per child, and no driving in flip flops or backless sandals again around 100 euros. Wearing white knee high socks with sandals is strictly forbidden, by anyone! :grimacing:

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Wearing white knee high socks with sandals is strictly forbidden, by anyone! :grimacing:

Listen, if we didn't have sensible laws like this, just where would we be, eh? I'll tell you where bloody France that's where we'd be.

Really good to see that amongst national crisis, the Spanish have not lost sight of what's really important.

the feds (cant spell Gendarme) like to stop Brit cars for not 'stopping' at a stop sign, its their favourite pastime! The idea is you stop about a meter behind the line, for at least a count of 5, ideally into first gear, handbrake on, look around for a bit and go. It doesnt matter if anything is coming, you have stopped and thats the law....... Now the French.......race up to the stop line as fast as you can, slam on breaks at the last second, turn wheel so car pointing in stupid direction and you cant see out of the window, pull out anyway..........or if your pi**ed, just go at 10kph or 110 if you want, and dont stop for nothing!

the feds (cant spell Gendarme) like to stop Brit cars for not 'stopping' at a stop sign, its their favourite pastime! The idea is you stop about a meter behind the line, for at least a count of 5, ideally into first gear, handbrake on, look around for a bit and go. It doesnt matter if anything is coming, you have stopped and thats the law....... Now the French.......race up to the stop line as fast as you can, slam on breaks at the last second, turn wheel so car pointing in stupid direction and you cant see out of the window, pull out anyway..........or if your pi**ed, just go at 10kph or 110 if you want, and dont stop for nothing!

Yep, the famous "French rolling stop"!

Just a quick update, this came about after chatting with some new to Spain tourists.

This couple were driving down a carriageway when the were flagged down by a guy in a 'Hi Vis' and a big bright Red flag. They did not speak any Spanish but the guy waved them on, and so they were confused as to why he had waved them down in the first place.

Eventually they came across some road works where there was a contraflow.

If you come across someone waving a Red flag it does not mean stop. It means drive on past me with caution and expect something out of the ordinary. This could range from a broken down vehicle to extensive road works.

If you are requested to stop by a non uniformed police office, then it will be a guy again in Hi Vis jacket but he will have a 'paddle' clearly displaying the STOP sign in red and white. When it is clear to proceed the paddle will be turned over to show a white arrow on a blue background.

I know the STOP sign might be obvious but if you brake for a guy waving the red flag you could end up being rear ended. I appreciate the car should not be close behind but it could happen.

I may have told you this before but, if you are driving through a built up area and someone sitting in a parked car suddenly throws open the car door and you hit it, then YOU are at fault unless you have a witness! I honestly said there is no way this could be right I mean, it flies in the face of all logic, so checked it out and in the region of Murcia it seems this it true. Other provinces I cannot speak for.

Self service petrol garages are becoming more evident, so don't pull up and wait, as you could be there for a long while. Given there used to be only assisted garages it is not uncommon for diesel 'A' and 'B' to be on the same 'island', the person filling your tank would know this and take due care, he or she would be in big trouble if they put 'Red' in a private vehicle used on public roads. In the event you are stopped and found to have 'RED' then your vehicle could be confiscated there and then, I think there are similar rules in the UK. ALWAYS ask for a 'ticket', if you have the ticket and it was put in by the attendant or you have had petrol put in your diesel (OTOWA), car you have some recourse from a legal point of view. Whilst 24 hour garages are still rare there are some automated versions appearing. Some have English instructions, the very latest installation where I live has nothing in English, I have suggested they put instructions in English, and the staff member was going to have a chat with the boss? Some systems accept credit cards, and some accept both cards and cash.

Spain has always had a strict rule where you could not buy cigarettes at a petrol garage........until recently. This has now changed, in particular since 'Carrefour' started opening supermarkets and even taking ownership of the shops situated inside some petrol garages. We now have a Cepsa garage, with a Carrefour shop, and they do sell cigarettes. Beer is available at most garages, Burger King, (no burgers today though only chicken, ask me how I know!!) Macy Dee's also sell beer.

Supermarkets may have a ciggy machine but, if there is none in sight then point to the counter when asking, they will have a few packets of 'their' supply, stashed under there.

regards

Dave

Interesting stuff Dave, good post (and updates as well!).

No "red" in Romania BTW, it's all taxed the same.

There's "standard" and "premium" diesels, both work in my 80 and the premium is a waste of the extra money.

Diesel is AKA "motorina" and Petrol is "Benzina" with the usual unleaded (green) and other options.

Funny talking about Premium being a waste of money. I had my 80 filled with it (not on purpose) and it seemed to run better? It could be completely psychological but it did seemed smoother and have a little more 'get up and go'?

Years back there was a forum discussion (Where I cannot remember), about using the alternatives, and it seemed at the time I was in a minority about the difference in the 'feel' of the engine? One thing is for sure, newer diesel oils have less sulphur, this is a lubricant and can affect the longevity of older style pumps. I was told this was also not true however, I followed it up and have an email in a 'safe' place from a Shell Fuels 'tech' and he or she confirmed this was the case. It is to help with emission levels apparently?

Back on topic, I did not know you did not have Red diesel Clive, there was me thinking this was the norm everywhere? So the farmers do not get the VAT removed for tractor fuel usage? Or rural homes with generators?

regards

Dave

Generally no.

Maybe there's VAT concessions for "company" farms, but the regular "Joe" farmer or smallholder pays the same as you and me for diesel, whatever it's used for, even domestic heating.

Gas and electricity is subject to the same VAT so here they look at me strange when I talk about agricultural diesel.

I'm not sure how it works these days in the UK. Before VAT, fuel had excise duty. Red diesel had less (or none) compared with DERV.

Has VAT been added to the Price + Excise Duty or has VAT replaced Excise duty?

Anyway, here there's no DERV, no Red, just Motorina and it was 4.97 Lei / lt last weekend (0.84 GBP), rising steadily at the moment.

I have no idea how the duty is made up Clive but it does have a VAT (IVA here) element that is different.

regards

Dave

. Whilst 24 hour garages are still rare there are some automated versions appearing. Some have English instructions, the very latest installation where I live has nothing in English, I have suggested they put instructions in English, and the staff member was going to have a chat with the boss? Some systems accept credit cards, and some accept both cards and cash.

Dave

I was going to say pump language is easily fixed with a free smart phone app, but might not be a brilliant idea near petrol fumes. Google translate is great when you're out of you language comfort zone. Just point the camera at the words.

image.png

Yeh...looks really......er wrong! :eek: :D

regards

Dave

Yeh...looks really......er wrong! :eek: :D

regards

Dave

It struggles with a whole page of text, but it works great for signs. Its fine for documents but you have to scan slowly across or hold it very still. Me trying to screenshot the phone didn't help!

The apps are getting better all the time Rob, it is only when (like English) some words clash. In Spain a wheel stud is the same as a stick of asparagus, just need to be in the right shop when you ask for it. :confused:

If you Google wheel stud it comes back as a 'eje', which is also Spanish for axle, so if in the spare shop and making an order for a wheel stud..........you might just get a little more than you expected. :D

AFWIW, my Spanish level from 1 -10 is oooooh about .75! :eek:
regards

Dave

The apps are getting better all the time Rob, it is only when (like English) some words clash. In Spain a wheel stud is the same as a stick of asparagus, just need to be in the right shop when you ask for it. :confused:

If you Google wheel stud it comes back as a 'eje', which is also Spanish for axle, so if in the spare shop and making an order for a wheel stud..........you might just get a little more than you expected. :D

AFWIW, my Spanish level from 1 -10 is oooooh about .75! :eek:
regards

Dave

I don't know how sophisticated Google is in that regard. Some of the work I am doing at the moment uses natural language processing to understand the context of words. There are free services that can do that pretty well, so if that's not already being done it must be close. I'm not good enough at another language to check. I did once manage to successfully get a broken window fixed on a hire-car in Argentina using my Spanish. Although I did have a hire-care with a broken window to point at.

True, a picture (or a car with a broken window) is worth a thousand words......in any language.

regards

Dave

Back