Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bit of help on the different specifications ?

Paulpen

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Was wondering if anyone knows or knows where I can find what all the different spec levels mean ?

I only ask as im possibly going to view a couple of 95's at the weekend / next week and dont want to be told its a top spec when its not !

So far ive seen that you can get a GX, TX, VX and FX (I think) but you also get the Colorado and the Prado. Is there also a facelift and a prefacelift or were all the pre D4D's the same ?

Then you get the black plastic above the rear number plate - some have Land cruiser colorado, some have Land cruiser prado and some just have Land cruiser - does this also mean something ?

Maybe im looking into things far too much but im getting confused when I dont really know what all the options were :crazy:

Let's get you SOME answers on this. They may be a bit general lads, so don't pick holes for the sake of just because you could get the GX in Umbongoland on special order.

Colorado is uniquely UK spec.
Prado is the rest of the world really

UK spec models were VX for the top of the line and GX for the standard model. The FX was what was called the 'Farmer's version' by some as it was more basic without the plastic flares etc. They also did a special edition called the K2 which I think were all in white. Like a an FX but more spec, Roughly.

TX and EX were Prado specs. But there was another spec similar to the FX - which I can't recall. Was that the EX?

In the UK you got LWB manual and auto and in the SWB manual only. Choice of petrol and derv. But I don't think you got petrol in the SWB though

The bit on the number plate essentially means nothing. They are all Land Cruiser 90s or 95s. There was a bit of a facelift just before the D4D came in which means it's harder to tell when one passes by. It's very easy to see if it is a D4 when you go to look at it though.

Sure someone will add a bit more.

I think TX is an Import
Fx normally means bottom spec and no body moulding
GX body mouldings and cloth seats
VX top spec with leathers and all the gizmo's

Prado is an import
landcruiser colorado UK spec

1996-1999 pre face lift the front bumper has no fog lights and the interior has one complete bench seat in the mid row, the dash isnt digital
99-2000 face lift with fog lights in front bumper mid row seats are split 60/40 dash is digital
2001-2002 d4d engine.

I have a 99 FX, It's not that basic, well not for me anyway. It doesn't have the flared arches and it also has 6 in wheels and 215/80X16 tyres standard, these are not widely available now so I've fitted 225/75s on mine.
It has air con, electric windows and mirrors but only one battery. It's got fabric seats as opposed to leather of the higher spec models. The only thing I miss on it is cruise control.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A wealth of knowledge on here :thumbup:

One of the ones im looking at does not have a Prado or Colorado on the back but it does look like it has the space for a square number plate on the front (so its either an import or has a bumper replaced).

Also has no space for front fogs (so must be a pre facelift) and is badged as a GX (but only below the side repeaters) but does not have the funny parking mirror on the wing.

Am I correct in think its a import middle spec then ?

If so am I then correct in thinking cloth interior, air con (or possibly climate control), central locking, centre diff lock (but not rear, rear lsd instead). Will it be the engine with or without the intercooler ?

Sorry for all the questions but dont want to end up with something thats not what it seems :angry-nono:

That sounds like a uk spec to me as mine is badged GX as well. If it is it will have cloth seats(which are very hard wearing) air con (not climate control) and should have a rear locker fitted instead of a LSD. Check for a rear locker switch on the right hand side of the steering wheel just about where your right knee will be when driving. The bumper will have a space for a square number plate but mine is fitted with a rectangle one. The imports came with the parking mirror on the wing. HTH

Steve nailed that one. Sounds like UK GX to me. Straight up.

A wealth of knowledge on here :thumbup:

One of the ones im looking at does not have a Prado or Colorado on the back but it does look like it has the space for a square number plate on the front (so its either an import or has a bumper replaced).

Also has no space for front fogs (so must be a pre facelift) and is badged as a GX (but only below the side repeaters) but does not have the funny parking mirror on the wing.

Am I correct in think its a import middle spec then ?

If so am I then correct in thinking cloth interior, air con (or possibly climate control), central locking, centre diff lock (but not rear, rear lsd instead). Will it be the engine with or without the intercooler ?

Sorry for all the questions but dont want to end up with something thats not what it seems :angry-nono:

Yes if it is uk spec it will be the 1kzte without the intercooler.

Interesting this, would I be wrong in suggesting that Ireland is the only RHD market where the 90 series was just badged Landcruiser on the back... UK had Colorado, and JDM/ Australia /SA had Prado...

Maybe unlikely, but could that truck be an Irish GX that made its way to Blighty?

Irish GX spec has no aircon, cloth seats, elec windows & mirrors and LSD with no rear locker. Oddly silver is the only colour that came colour coded trim here..

Back