Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BJ to 2H or better.

Jaguar12

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi everyone.
I'm also looking at a possible 2H or 2HT conversion on my BJ40. The current engine is excellent with less than 35,000 miles on the clock but I am going to have to do a lot of towing and will need a little more torque.

So:
  • I have tried to find details of how to convert from current 3 litre B engine to 2H/2HT with no luck. Information on how good the 2H is available but no instructions on installation - any help here?
  • Next, who has a good engine and 5 speed available at reasonable cost?
Cheers, Ian.​

Hi Ian,

My 40 has a 2H and 5 speed in it, although I didn't do the conversion but I can send you photos, if that helps.
I would suggest that you go for the engine and box and transfer box - as mine is - and the gearbox sits on the original crossmember but you will have to move the existing engine mounts.
Be sure you get the vin number of the truck that the engine comes from as there were significant changes around '85. On that point some of the accessory bits e.g. power steering pumps etc are getting short (no longer available for pre '85) on supply so a later engine is probably worth the search.
How good is a 2H? Plenty of low down torque but it is an old style diesel but once warm it's quiet. I installed a 60 series rev counter which helps as the engine pulls and pulls right into the red. Rev installs easily as the sensor screws into the side of the bell housing. I have no idea about the history of my engine , etc but I've done 17k miles plus 36k in kilometers (changed when we came out here) and it white smokes on start from cold then rarely and only under extreme load. Regular oil changes and occasional tappet adjustments. I changed the exhaust for a set of headers and that made a big difference to the pull. Plenty of engine braking control when off-roading. Uses about half a litre of oil between changes (every 5000 miles) and gives me 30mpg (except when seriously) off-roading
Let me know what else you'd like to know and what photos and I'll do what I can. It is a great engine but is getting long in the tooth nowadays.

Regards,
Rodger

Hi everyone.
I'm also looking at a possible 2H or 2HT conversion on my BJ40. The current engine is excellent with less than 35,000 miles on the clock but I am going to have to do a lot of towing and will need a little more torque.

So:
  • I have tried to find details of how to convert from current 3 litre B engine to 2H/2HT with no luck. Information on how good the 2H is available but no instructions on installation - any help here?
  • Next, who has a good engine and 5 speed available at reasonable cost?
Cheers, Ian.​

There are one or two of us on here who have/had 40/45's with 2h engines. Although one member has put his name to a low mileage engine and box on here I do have others. I think a 12HT engine would be the best but the price may be prohibitive.
I also have after market turbo kits for the 2H engine available.

Hi Ian it's a big job I have put one in myself a lot of work good look with it from Tony .

Such good replies. Thank you.

Looks like I may have to give it a miss Tony. I just don't have much time what with work and a couple of youngsters! Bugger, I thought it would almost be a straight swap seeing as how Meccano like the 40 is. Shame.

Andy, how much is your T engine and do you know anyone within a reasonable distance of Southampton who could fit it? (my only chance)

Hi Rodger - thanks for your detailed reply. Excellent. To be honest, I like the older Diesels - low revving and, as you say, good low down torque. 30mgp is pretty good as well. I envy you!!
A couple of engine bay pics would be nice to check out if possible?

As stated above, I may just have to stick with the B engine for now.

Thanks everyone

Hi Ian,

There is a man near Bedford who could do it for you - he built the truck I have - but maybe Bedford is not near enough to Southampton. I can pm details if you are interested.
I will do the photos at the weekend as we are olive harvesting currently - long days in the sunshine.

Regards,

Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back