Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

BJ42- Best year model?

Shonky

Hey guys, Shonky here...

I've finally decided on looking for a BJ42 and I'm having a bit of trouble with the search.

I know that the desired model is the 1984 5-speed LX but wondering if I'm limiting myself with only looking for that particular year model.

What would I missing if I went looking for a 81/2/3 model instead?

I understand that I wouldn't be getting the 5-speed gearbox but that's something that can be upgraded right?

Just wondering if I'm missing out if I keep going the way I am with my search... Cheers

Hi Shonky good look with the search love the 40's tonytoyota :thumbup:

Hi,
The Bj42 LX was equipped with softer suspension and a few more creature comforts - even aircon as an option. It also had power steering (although some earlier 42s may have had this). Five speed boxes were available in 42s from Oct 82. LX had resinous (G/F) in side panels and carpets.

What country are you in?

Hope this helps

regards

Thanks for the kind words tonytoyota

And Rodger, I love in Australia.
Quick question, what do you mean by "Resinous (G/F)"

So from what I understand, I could get myself a 82 model and still upgrade to those creature features ie. aircon, power steering, softer suspension and gearbox.

This will definitely widen my search and allow me to get a 42 quicker.

Hi Shonky,

"resinous G/F2 will be some sort of glassfibre, factory fitted, sound deadening/insulation material.
You should be able to find a 5 speed in an 82/3 model and the softer suspension is the same as a 45 pick up truck but isn't carrying the weight.
Aircon might be more difficult as per factory in the LX but an after market aircon set would fit, no doubt, and being in Oz aircon is probably a necessity.
Where in Oz are you? Realising that it's a pretty big place but I have a buddy with a 4x4 shop and he has some 40 experts on staff but they don't supply vehicles. It maybe a useful contact for you for parts and repairs (if needed)and a few of the guys on here know him.

Regards,

G'day Rodger,

Thanks for the lesson, didn't have the slightest what it was before haha

I'm in Orange NSW, those contacts might be a good start to finding the vehicle I want.

And I'll definitely be buying aircon no matter what

Thanks again for all your advice and have a Merry Christmas and a happy new year

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Shonky,

Trust you had a good Christmas and have a great 2014.
Chris is a good way from you but it may be worth a conversation. He's on:08 8391 4594 at FNB 4WD

Good luck in your search. A good friend of mine has bought a few good 40s out of Oz, always through ebay and by knowing exactly what he's looking for, but a 42LX is a rare beast!

Let us know how you get on
Regards,

Back