Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bj73 vm 5 cylinder steering box

Username

Country Flag
spain
Hello all,
I have been having a bit of trouble with the power steering on my BJ73 with the infamous 2.5 VM 5 cylinder engine. Since I'm just a part-time weekend mechanic, I was wondering if steering boxes are unique to each engine, or if there are several types which could be mounted.

Every year it seems a bit harder to find parts for the 5 cyl. VM so I need to expand my horizons.

Thank you!

Mike

I bought my first BJ73 more than ten years ago. Now on my 3rd. It's a long learning curve.

If you put your chassis number into this site you should get exploded diagrams of every system on the truck with part numbers.

My understanding of steering boxes is there are several Toyota 4x4s that use the same box.

This is a video of the steering box off an 80 series being serviced. I'm pretty sure its the same or near identical to the one used on 70s. I'll be able to tell you for sure as mine is due to be serviced this winter. I've got the service kit.

If there is too much play in your steering it can be adjusted by nipping up the slot head grub bolt on top of the box. Back off the locking nut and tighten bolt clockwise a quarter turn at a time until you feel play being reduced. Over tightening can damage the box but unfortunately I can't tell you what constitutes over tightening. I have only done it once. My guess is that its over tight if you start to feel any resistance.

Good luck

Hi outdoordan,

Wow, on your third in ten years! Was it to upgrade the engine each time? I tend to hold on to things for too long, I've got old machines/electronics tucked away in closets that I've already fixed up or plan to in the next...few years.

Thanks for the info on that website. I put the VIN in but it didn't have my engine, the Italian VM 5 cylinder. It had the possible Toyota engines listed. I'm on the fence right now on wanting to preserve the history of my vehicle (with it's nautical engine since there aren't that many left) and wanting to have a BJ73 that I don't have to feak out everytime when something breaks and I have no idea where I'm going to find the parts I need.

If that power steering pump bolts onto the engine to run off a belt then I would assume it needs to be specific to the Italian engine. I'll take a look at that bolt and see if I can take out some of the play but my biggest issue is with the muscle needed to turn the wheel at slow speeds, especially when parallel parking. The big brute already has enough trouble parking with its huge turning radius!

In any case, I appreciate your help. I'm going to start calling some local breaker yards and try my luck finding some parts.

Have a good evening.

Mike

What size tyres are on your truck could check the tyre pressures and up them a bit but not too much might help until you get your problem sorted and check the swivel housings

Hi SteveJB,

I would have never thought of that!

They look to be the standard tyre which I have no idea what specific size that should be yet. I am under the assumption that I can't cause any terrible damage to the vehicle by continuing to drive with a wonky power steering.

How much over the labeled pressure can a tyre be inflated?

Thank you for your help.

Mike

Hi Mike.

If my memory serves the power steering pump is a Toyota unit.

If you email Nick Ould at Euro 4x4 I believe he has a parts catalogue for the VM powered BJ73s specific to those models.

By way of reassurance, the VM engine is a much better unit tha a lot of people would have you believe. Very strong but they do need to be driven sympathetically. Parts are easy to come by and they are easy to work on.

The power steering system is plenty powerful enough even at low speeds if its working properly. Higher tyre pressures will definitely make steering lighter though. I would recommend you carry a spare belt for the power steering.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As we work in PSI in UK had to look at a pump with BAR on it I would say to increase tyre pressures very gradually by a point of a bar at a time and would say not to exceed point three bar and don't forget to deflate them when steering box is sorted have a look at sidewall for tyre size and a member might be able to help with tyre pressure recommendations

Plenty rebuild and return them in here in the UK so you might find a similar service locally .

Hi outdoordan,

I sent an email to Euro 4x4 and I’ll see what they recommend in terms of parts. A local breaker yard said they were cleaned out of BJ73 parts recently, he only had an exhaust manifold and some interior plastic bits.

I think I’m going to stick with the VM engine because even though the engine leaks, it runs smooth and feels strong.

Thanks for your advice

Mike

Hi SteveJB,

I’ve got the tyres inflated to the max (50 PSI) as it says on the sidewalls after reading your advice. It’s much easier to handle now so I think I’ll leave them there for now.
Hopefully, I can get the steering sorted before ITV (MOT) at the end of next month. :sweatsmile:

Thank you.

Mike

Hi Shayne,

I’m definitely going to start looking into where I can send parts off to. There have to be places that rebuild parts around here.
I was told that Spanish law prohibits the rebuilding of essential safety pieces such as the brake master cylinder because I was going to do that one myself until I found out I legally couldn’t. So... that complicates things. I mean what isn’t a safety piece when you’re inside a big hunk of metal going 100 km/h?

Thank you.

Mike

Username Mike 50psi is extremely over inflated I would drop it down to 40psi the 50 psi marked on the side wall of the tyre would be for a maximum loaded vehicle and to tell the truth how many times have the tyres been curbed how old are they and are there cracks in the sidewall when you are driving the tyres generate heat expanding the air inside your tyres don't know what temperatures you have where you live or whether you are parked up in full sun or shade but all of these will affect your tyres and not to scare the living shi7 out of you but I think in the case of a front blowout at speed the damage to you your truck and most of all to others could be considerable so please drop them down to 40psi and have yourself an upper body workout Oh and make sure you are moving when you turn the steering wheel it will reduce the strain on what is left of the steering components

Hi SteveJB,
I dropped them down to 40psi and I'll take your advice on roll then turn. I thought it would be easy to find another pump (I might try to overhaul the steering box myself over Christmas) but so far I've had no luck with Euro4x4, parts sellers and breaker yards around Spain.
Mike

Hey Mike:

What kinds of interior plastic bits did that local breaker yelled have? My interior on my 88 LJ 73 is pretty rough. Need a bunch of things.

Hi usafcooper,
They guy said he had some door handles and the trim that goes around the air conditioning controls, among other things which I wasn't interested in. The problem is that parts never last long but they do come up often so you just have to keep up with the search.

Where are you located?
If you are wanting to change out a lot of interior pieces, I found a good centralized hub for breaker yards in Spain. I added my info into it and the specific parts I was looking for and within a week I had five replies. I bought a power steering pump and steering box last Wednesday and got them in the mail on Friday.
There are also individuals selling interior/exterior parts through online classified ads.
I can pass on the information if you would like it, but if you live far from Spain, the shipping cost might not be worth the price.
Mike

Hey usafcooper,

If your in the US, try cruiserparts.net
They’ve got a lot of interior bits and it’s based out of New Hampshire.

Hi all:

I am currently in Germany, but I can get USPS mail here. I have found that Euro distributors seem to be much quicker and have more selection. Thanks for all the recommendations though.

Rolly

Well, after changing out the power steering pump and brake master cylinder, the poor cruiser still failed inspection!

It'll need an engine overhaul to get it to pass. They said it wasn't even worth hooking up the emissions machine, ha!
Even my number plates failed.

Back