Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Black oil immediately after oil change and refill and engine clean up

Raj

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Now I changed the oil on Sunday and I overfilled it so took off 1 liter yesterday. Since I changed the oil and filter I didn't drive the car and the engine was on for a max of 5 to 10 mins.
When I took out the oil it was so dark. Now thinking of changing the oil after 2000 miles and continuing that until it appears a little better at least after an oil change. I ordered 4 bottles of Toyota Diesel Fuel System Cleaner and planning to use it until the next 2000 miles before the oil change.

Please let me know if anyone did this? using Toyota Diesel fuel system for 1000 or 2000 miles and changing oil and filter?
Are 2000 miles more to do such a cleaning process? should I just change once every 1000 miles for 3 times with a cheaper version of oil and then use Toyota one the 4th time?
Will this work?

Toyota oil is expensive for such a task so thinking of using Mannol energy premium 5w30 synthetic oil. its comes at 50-60£ for 20 liters. Is it ok use this oil instead of Toyota 5w30 engine oil with pfe one?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-05-26 at 8.00.52 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-05-26 at 8.00.52 PM.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 25
The oil in a diesel goes black much quicker than what you might see on a typical petrol motor. I think the EGR system is to blame, as it keeps pumping soot into the engine.

As for the oil - you need to make sure that the oil you intend to use meets the specs in your manual, as long as it meets the standards, you should be OK with any oil.

I've been using hellfrauds oil on a couple of cars recently - their price was good for fully synth and it met the required standards. Having said that, be careful who supplies your oil. If you buy it on ebay and it seems cheap, it could be anything in the bottle!

anything in the bottle
yes thats imp point Karl. Thank you. I recently ordered Toyota crush washers from ebay. They are correct fit ones but not genuine Toyota ones as there is no part number. They just came in a plain cover.

Don't get overly paranoid about oil changes Raj. As Karl suggests just stick to the spec that Toyota recommends rather than a particular brand. I just changed mine and used Mobil Super 2000 10/40 SS, Api CF this time as I got it at a good price from a reputable seller on ebay that I've used dozens of times for both car and bike oils. If your engine has had long oil change intervals in the past the new oil will blacken pretty quickly but it doesn't mean the oils lubrication quality is compromised, more it's doing (one of) it's jobs in removing deposits. I'm not a big fan of engine flush potions. Oils suitable for diesel engines has a high detergency anyway and I would rather just change the oil at shorter intervals to achieve the same result.

No need to use Toyota oil, Toyota do not refine oil. Use a quality oil, that meets or exceeds the recommended Toyota specification.

Reactions: Raj
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My oil in my VZJ95 petrol engine comes out almost like new (after approx 5000km) but on my mates KZJ120 diesel it's pitch black in less than 1000km.

Opine oils did offer a club discount & also do other stuff, I got an alternator from them at a v good price

I had 10 new litres of the wrong oil left over from another car sitting about so thinking along similar lines I put engine oil cleaner in my old oil , ran the truck up to heat , burnt my fingers dropping the oil then topped up with the wrong oil and let it tickover for 10 minutes . before letting that oil out as well .

It came out a little darker and then without replacing the sump plug I poured the other 3 litres though just because i didn't need it and was satisfied the engine internals had been properly cleaned .

Next oil change at the recommended interval the oil looked just as black as it always has .

A good thing really given engine oil degrades because it is a sacrificial balm to prevent component wear hence we have to change it periodically .

Last edited:
A few years ago, I got 50lt 10w40 from Tesco, and tried doing the engine flush thing. Fill it, drive 1500 miles, change oil. Repeat. Five times. The colour didn't really get a whole lot lighter. Maybe a shade or two. This is on the 105.

I changed the oil filter at the first round and again after the 5th. Emotionally I felt like it made a difference, physically I don't think it did. And if I hadn't gotten the oil at a really low price, I wouldn't have bothered.

Just doing it at 5000 miles is the way to go.

If you are concerned about a specific problem, get a sample of oil after 1000 miles, get an analysis done.

They must have thought you were emptying the Torrey Canyon with that lot down the tip Shayne !
If I catch the wrong jobsworths on the gate down here, it's 5ltrs max. then they wonder why people tip it in the hedge !
There are some that are more sensible though, and having got past the 'sentry' there is no one to stand over you and watch, like other areas of the tip.
The odd thing is though, this council crows about their recycling figures and how carbon neutral they try to be, blah blah, but there is nothing to stop me making several trips to the tip the same day with old oil, burning diesel each time. Typical gov/council. WTF !!
I don't mean to turn this thread into another political debate, just commenting on the general thread of oil, (and disposal)

We get this at work on a regular basis after a service, we explain the situation to the customer and if still not satisfied we change the oil in front of them run the engine and they see the oil goes dark very quickly.

Absolutely. Its not known whether its council policy or jobsworths, both on an uniformed crusade thinking they're saving the planet from properly disosed of oil, as opposed to someone tipping it in the hedge or dumping it in a ditch. I know what most would prefer !

Absolutely. Its not known whether its council policy or jobsworths, both on an uniformed crusade thinking they're saving the planet from properly disosed of oil, as opposed to someone tipping it in the hedge or dumping it in a ditch. I know what most would prefer !
Yeah, I've never ever ever just plopped containers of used oil in the wheelie bin. All our general rubbish goes in the power station in any case...

engine flush potions
Definetly not adding any additives in the engine oil. I ordered that Toyota fuel cleaner as its sold by Toyota and I have to add it in fuel tank. I use redox for every tank of fuel for accord and its running strong so thought of using this one.
at 5000 miles
There is no specific problem other than dark colour. 5000 miles seem to be collective consciousness of the club :) . I will fix with that. oil, filter change at every 5K. After buying the car, I changed oil at 51.5K, 53.8K and 58K.
Opine oils
Thank you. will check and order correct spec from them.
regular basis after a service
Then definitely I need not think too much.
Corrr.... bottle up
Just missed :) I thought of removing all the oil as it was overfilled but last minute found a youtube video and sucked out only 1 litre from dipstick hole.

5000miles is what's in the manual for the 1hz in the 105. The 1kd in the 120 gets the change at 10k miles (give or take a bit). Also, the 1hz gets 10w40 and the 1kd gets the Toyota 5w30ss

For my car it says every 12000 miles/12 months so 5000miles is what I will be happy to consider as short interval oil change.

Back