Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Black smoke on heavy acceleration!

Steveindar

Country Flag
tanzania
I know that sounds weird, "heavy acceleration", but thick black smoke nevertheless! Is it time to rebuild injectors, have pump serviced or both?

Cheers

Steve

Black smoke in a diesel is unburned fuel so first thing make sure your air filter is clean.

Is it something thats just started happening?

You could turn back the mass fuel screw on the pump. mark where it is now and move it 1/8 turn anti clockwise and drive it. keep doing that until it gives a puff of black when you accelerate and thats all.

Are you sure you dont have any leaks on the pipes from the turbo to the intake manifold?

I know that sounds weird, "heavy acceleration", but thick black smoke nevertheless! Is it time to rebuild injectors, have pump serviced or both?

Cheers

Steve

whatmodel and variant are you....mine does the same but only after I 'tweaked the pump' 93 12vmanual

My 12 valve gives a quick puff of black and it is on it's way. The squirt of extra diesel does not quite get burnt as the turbo is still coming up to speed. Is this a recent thing and getting worse, has somebody already 'been in there'?

regards

Dave

Sorry for not explaining better. She's swambos transport now to bridge/horse-riding/tea etc. The engine is 1HZ 12v non turbo auto. Smoke has always been there, just more noticeable now that I'm on the outside watching swambo charge up the uphill driveway. Serviced recently and all filters changed/washed. Mud season is on us so not much dust to speak of. I have no history I can refer to as to whether any fuel items have been serviced/replaced.
Mind sending a pic of the location of the mass fuel screw?

Cheers

Steve

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mind sending a pic of the location of the mass fuel screw?

You could have a look through the service manual section.

Back