Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bleeding brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid you're missing the point, Ted.

We're not about to embark on a course that you consider foolhardy - we've ben using DOT4 for decades in all classes of vehicles. I've not seen any evidence - anecdotal or hard - that shows DOT4 to be inappropriate in DOT3 systems. When the manufacturers say that DOT4 can be used in place of DOT3 on their packaging I take notice. I can't remember a time when I wasn't using DOT4.

Remember - when DOT3 was introduced the alternative was DOT2 - which has a different chemistry and shouldn't be confused or mixed with the then new Glycol-based fluid. I suspect the "use DOT3" message is a hangover from that time.

You have an opinion on this but you haven't produced any evidence. "Beastrider" asked you to explain your view but you haven't responded. I look forward with interest to an explanation with some facts.

No-one is suggesting that you stop using DOT3 if that is your preference.

Bob.

Very well and politely put Bob, without the insults that a new member Ted, has resorted to.
I have been watching this thread with interest for my own benefit/knowledge, and despite all members documented evidence/proof, as stated, Ted has chosen to evade Beastrider giving him the opportunity to explain further.

I'm talking about the 100 Toyota land cruiser with dot3 nothing else not your tractor, motor bike or your Austin 7. but on the side of the brake unit there is a valve block that controls the brake pressure and inside there the seals break down and then the ABS unit stops working. simple.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
100% agree with Bob and others, I have always used DOT 4.

We've had the Colorado since 2001, always serviced by me, she now has 248 000 on the clock and DOT 4 brake fluid every 2 years.

Absolutely NO problems. (21years and over 200 000 miles)
FWIW and just as a note, if you do mix fluids, the performance will always be considered the lowest value of the fluids used!

MikeC

you only have a Colorado that's not an Amazon a totally different unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back