Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bloody cars

Nice bit of feedback there Gary. It's nice to find a fault nobody else has and to be praised for it is even better. Nice.

Well today I had an email forwarded to me from service advisor at work, I'm off for a couple of days and normally just ignore them lol. Well we'd just pulled up at Chester zoo for the day and it was worth reading...
This was the carbon filled intake with badly fitted glow plug and brakes.
Makes the job worthwhile when get feedback like this.

Subject: Feedback - 530d Msport

Hi Mike
Good morning,
Just thought I'd ping you an email with feedback of the work done and my experience last week - WR11 XDZ.
The car is cured and there's a real improvement in it. It is a sensation to drive and is living upto its name of being 'The Ultimate Driving Machine' (excuse the pun).
That car is my pride & joy especially as it's rare and it's really comforting to know it's in great health having been looked-after by the professionals.
Thanks again for your work and for putting my interests first, it really was appreciated. Also for your help in dealing with Harry Fairbairn.
If you could pass on my thanks to Gary aswell for his good work and professionalism that would be appreciated.
I will be back in a few weeks or so to have the other problem sorted and the brake fluid service needs doing in March so I will be back with my custom for that. Can you remind me of your price for it?
I haven't received a Cooper customer service email yet if you could get one sent out to me I will gladly fill it in.
Other than that it was a real pleasure doing business with you and using your dealership. I am very pleased with BMW, especially the car.
Kind regards
Mr Bowley

Who's Gary Aswell??

Reactions: Pat
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Been fairly un eventful recently untill today, I wasn't involved in this incident and I'm glad of it lol.
We have a bit of a blind 90 degree turning at the end of our car park to get round the back to go to the workshop, always worth a little toot on the horn to state you're there.
Well today the new lad driving a 5 series didn't, at the same time the workshop controller coming the other way didn't!!
The silver 3 series being a covert police car (look closely in the windscreen).

20161104_155822.jpg

20161104_155811.jpg

20161104_155831.jpg

Management not pleased but accidents do happen after all.
New lad can now say he's rammed a police car and got away with it lol.

Bought myself a new lamp though, sick of not having enough light when under bonnets. 3.5 hour run time so lasts well on a charge
20161103_123732.jpg

Ouch on the accident. The new lad must have sat there going "noooooo f*** f***"

20161104_155811-jpg.109220.jpg

Is that the side airbags which deployed? Can just make out the corner.

Ouch on the accident. The new lad must have sat there going "noooooo f*** f***"

View attachment 109237

Is that the side airbags which deployed? Can just make out the corner.

No that's just the plastic seat cover.

He was worried to say the least but it's an accident, no one hurt or driving too fast.
Funny thing was the police car was in for poor handling, the steering rack has gone tight due to years of abuse, well the wheel got hit so will get a new one plus some suspension courtesy of our insurance lol.

The response from the police when told them we've bumped their car......

Someone owes us cream cakes as that's the rule when an officer crashes one! :lol::lol:

Liked that one.
Crispin, you are spot on! :lol: The lad will be bricking himself but it will be such a good thing for him to do. Great idea. :thumbup:

Wife used to work somewhere there were "cake-able offences"; if you forgot things in the client briefing, were late, did something stupid etc, you owed the rest of the team on your next shift a cake to be shared - ideally home made as well.

I think that should become the workshop rule...

At my place you bring cakes in on your birthday, if you're leaving, if you go on holiday out of the country bring sweets back from that country. In summer we take turns to go next door to the supermarket for ice creams.

They were light hearted about the car, it's happened on site not on the road and they get what it was in for done free lol. That car has had its fair share of body repairs anyway lol

Well not much of interest to post, a lot of run of the mill faults.
Got sent home last week on Monday afternoon as exhausted, bug went round at home and lack of sleep didn't mix well, boss told me to go home and rest.

Had a visit at the end of the week for a parts collection
20161105_202900.jpg

Had a little fault with a parking camera on a nice m5. Bit of corrosion found in the plug
20161111_094614.jpg

Had a very intermittent fault with the electrics shutting down, after a few days with the car wired up with oscilloscopes, multi meters and driving it for a weekend it had an output stage in a control unit failing, customer couldn't afford the fix so un resolved. It was a head scratcher and many cups of coffee were needed.

Loving my new torch too, casts very little shadows and makes up for the poor lighting, lasts about 3 hours on a charge.
20161111_143624.jpg

And today just to mess up a Friday I got a hybrid 3 series with a high voltage failure, faults logged for hv isolation (the circuit that monitors the components to prevent electrifying the body!) Car still drives in electric mode so something amiss.
At that point technical dept have to authorise me to go further with the repair.

Out with the barriers and warning signs
20161118_141752.jpg

Nice tidy engine bay (a lot less bits in there now)
20161118_141802.jpg

Things soon become a bit more involved so some more warning signs
20161118_144653.jpg

After a load of nice bright orange bits being disconnected found the hv connector to the electric heater (think kettle lol) to have water inside, also in the connector on the kettle.
Need to update with technical in the morning before go any further.
20161118_150758.jpg

20161118_150824.jpg

It's not a lot but it should be dry as they're sealed plugs, suspect the kettle has leaked internally.
Will get a couple of snaps tomorrow where we fit all the hv stuff underneath.

If of any interest to people.
Some of the do not lick bits under the 3 series plug in hybrid.

20161119_090559.jpg

Charging electrics, deals with charge coming in and distribution of power to electric air con and heater. Don't jack up in the wrong place!

20161119_090610.jpg

Electronics for the motor, square plug is connection to the battery (in the boot)
Round plug to the charge electrics.

20161119_090629.jpg

Big fat cable to the motor which takes place of the torque converter.

Most of that is usually well covered up.

20161119_090801.jpg

Not so tidy engine bay currently. Lots of stuff removed to get to the hv parts.

20161119_154845.jpg

My bay until technical decide what to do with it (they have to authorise any parts replacement)

Thanks Gary, I find this thread and pics of the cars interesting indeed. Not sure anyone other than authorised BMW techs stand a chance of working on and fixing these modern cars.... Hugely complex indeed

Back