Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bobs 24v now on ebay

I agree that some modifications are not to everybody's tastes and can therefore detract from somebodys own personal value of a vehicle, a comment you yourself made, but to make a comment about a vehicles general value when the person in question, has never seen the vehicle and has no intention of buying it. This therefore makes you neither qualified to value it accurately nor justified to do so. If you were an interested buyer then feel free to make as many comments and valuations as you like as that is part of the buying process. IIRC the comment you posted in my sales thread was "Better luck on Ebay and AT. Possibly a tad rich for selling on the forum." Not the sort of comment I felt was justified when commenting about somebodys vehicle they are forced into selling at in their opinion was a very decent price considering the amount of time, money and effort had gone into it. I know that GB is reluctant to sell his LC but a pending house move to the other end of the country has forced his hand to sell something 6 months ago he was going to hang onto.

I'm not wanting to string this out and turn it into a full blown debate on GB's sales thread but I felt strongly enough to make a comment.

Maybe enough has been said on this subject and its time the mods cleaned up the thread and got it back on its original track.

Oh and Rob, I thought Larry's rules applied to all sales posts whether stated or not or is it optional?

OK, lets draw a line under it ?

Gra.

I think the thread is fine and unless there is a complaint from the OP it can stand as a debate into the principle of general selling threads. But I would remind everyone that this thread is not an advert for a sale, it's a post stating that there is an advert on e-bay. In other words a link. Any comments on here are not reflected in the advert on line. Personally I don't agree with having to invoke Larry's Rules to protect a sale, but I don't see this as a sale thread so does it apply? It would be akin to raising a discussion thread and then saying that no one is allowed to disagree because of Barry's Rule.

If this posting in anyway helps GB to sell his vehicle then that's a good thing. I haven't honestly read anything that detrimental. As I have already said, saying something is not worth the asking price is different to saying people probably can't afford that. I can't afford a Bolwer Wildcat, but not because they are over priced. GB should not have to reduce the price to sell it, but in reality if it has to be sold then that may be the only way to do it. We all comment on CF etc and their vehicles saying that they are overpriced, because we know that they are. I don't think that's what we are saying on here at all about this vehicle. People have already said if they had the money they'd buy it. That's valuation enough in my book. But holiday times, fuel costs, Olympics? and all the rest of it are all factors plus the vehicle's specification is quite unique.

Something has to be out of alignment somewhere or, stating the obvious, it would have sold by now. We're just trying to help identify what might be the reason.

Chris

2nd attempt...

In Bob's defence I went through a very similar process with my 1986 FJ73 in Australia. We had bought it with the intention of being out there for a number of years, if not forever (I'd applied for the RSMS 857 Visa which would have given me Permanent Residency after 2 yrs) so we spent the time and all of our savings on getting the right car. It all fell through 6 weeks before our visa ran up, so a quick visit to New Zealand and a tourirst visa later we were back for a final 6 week trip. When we got back we had a week to sell it... We had it up on eBay, GumTree and ads in the window of the car (the normal way to sell cars out there) with the asking price clearly shown of $9750 (buy it now on an ebay auction) but people would ring up asking how much did I want for it, and when I answered $9750 they were a bit taken aback.

One guy actually came to see it, and offered $4k and was surprised when I turned him down. He was adamant we wouldn't get what we wanted for it...

In the end it sold by being in the right place at the right time; a Team Penning Event out in the Hunter Valley of NSW, where an 18yo lad who had come to drop something off for his Mum saw the sign in the window! I got $9k for it, his mate who came to look reckoned it was worth $8.5k, so with a bit of haggling we got what we wanted for it.

Moral of the story; advertise it in the right places, know what your market is for it and know the least you'd accept for it; we'd have probably dropped to $8750 if we'd had to, or it would have gone into a friends shed for storage out in dry NSW, rather than giving it away.

Good Luck Bob; non-standard vehicles are a mission to sell in the UK, but there will be someone looking for something like this somewhere. 80's are getting to be a bit of an odd one on the market now, they're just too over-engined now in many peoples eyes, and the Japanese tat that has come in is just soooooooooooo cheap that people don't understand why there is the price difference between a UK market and a Japanese market car.

Back