Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bon Voyage to Matt Wright (Africa Above and Below)

Great news - glad all is going well for you guys - hamba gahle!

Hi guys!

We;re alive and kicking.. Thanks first off to Dave and Jon W for your help on the gearing issue. As it turns out, the problem was water in the fuel tank (or that's what the kind man told me in arabic). Lots to tell to explain all we've been through mechanically but we're safe, the cruiser is going great. Aircon works like a bomb!! For 40 quid we got a full re-gas and the many holes in the radiator fixed. The Egyptian mechanics are pros.. We're in Aswan, Egypt now and board the ferry to Sudan tomorrow. I've written a ton on the blog - but it's not uploaded yet ok but I'll get it done in Khartoum

I'll say it again, thanks for your help, support and holding the fort. Andrew and Gav :)

Wish you were here..
Matt and team africa above and below

Glad you sorted! Started to wonder where you were.....

Looking forward to the blog :)

Did you find turkey for your dinner yesterday though... :lol:

Good to hear all is well dude :cool: How do I get sound out of my Revo?? :p

Keep on trucking dudes :cool:

Matt Wright said:
Hi guys!
(that's what the kind man told me in arabic).
Wish you were here..
Matt and team africa above and below
Glad things are going better now Matt, it must be very useful, speaking Arabic :cool: and I'm sure you're glad not to be here, it's bl**dy freezing :(

Aloha!
Sitting at the first internet that is faster than dialup since we left :) About to upload the new blog pics (still loads of text missing but we've just been doing so much that pictures are easier!). ** edit - tomorrow - I am told I have to write out the stories before I can upload! **
Nala is running like a drrrream and she's so happy to be in Khartoum where there are 100's of 80's and plenty more 90's and 100's.. It's like Landcruiser city! I did see an old Land Rover (beside the road, rusted out :whistle: )
Well, all going well and we head off to Ethiopia from Khartoum in a day's time. Khartoum is AMAZING and definitely worth a visit. All the news will be on the blog so please have a read of the DIARY page.
All the best from the warm heart of Sudan..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good to hear from you and that things are going well, and also that the truck is behaving herself :angelic-little: Have been keeping up with your blog, sounds fantastic, I'm really envious. I noticed you didn't manage to miss the snow we've had here :lol: . Shame about the Egyptian petrol :thumbdown: did that turn out expensive? I did that by mistake once :icon-redface: , it cost me £200 + the cost of the tankful of 4 star I put in. Here's hoping the rest of your journey is a happy and trouble free one.

Had a call from Matt this morning.....
Says Matt "I heard a grinding noise coming from the front wheel, so I stppped and all the studs bar one have sheared off... What do I do..." :shock: :shock: :shock:
Fortunately he has ONE spare stud and wheel nut (obviously the original wheel-nuts went awol with the studs) :idea:

A quick call to Ian to confirm my understanding that the stud remnants can be removed by subtle application of a BFH and a punch and the new ones tap in. I called Matt back to confirm my advice - he sounded a little stressed but was worked on getting the hub off, so he couldn't talk much more. Anyway, got a text to say they'd got the broken bits out and a bodge using some 10mm bolts (grinding off some thread) was in place and they were limping on to the next town for proper repairs!

Gav, I suspect you know where those 10mm bolts came from :mrgreen: Otherwise all is well with Matt and he sends his regards to all!

OMG :o the poor fella has had some problems, . . . but he does seem to be handling it OK, well done Matt :thumbup:

Cor blimey - that was a close shave!!!
Andrew Prince said:
Gav, I suspect you know where those 10mm bolts came from
Cool!!! Something worthwhile came of them then!!! :D

Had another call from Matt this morning :?
All ok - they made it to the nearest/next town with the bodge holding firm and had new OEM studs fitted all round. So a happy outcome!

They are about 250km north of Addis Ababa and expect to arrive there tomorrow afternoon. Matt promises that he will update his blog and hopefully post here as they will have normal internet access in Addis :whistle:

With the close attention being paid to the front hubs, he has noticed a hairline crack in one of the discs... The LC is braking normally and all seems to be ok otherwise. The town they stopped in for running repairs did not have replacement discs, so they have little choice but to go gently to Addis and buy the discs from the Toy dealer there. As they're driving through hilly country to get there, I advised him to use engine-braking as much as possible and avoid getting the brakes too hot. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Look out for his news towards the end of the week! :mrgreen:

Gents, greetings from the South of Kenya where life is good..

We've had quite a few knocks but worked through them all. Thanks a lot for updating Andrew. The roads have been shocking (really!!!) and since addis where I replaced the brake disc nicely, we have completed 1100 odd kms of the hardest dirt roads in the world. The infamous stretch from northern Kenya was a killer - you won't believe the photos...
Before that through, the fuel tank straps broke off again so it was back to ratchet straps :( they held the moyale road though some how. I'll get a new weld in Kampala. The fuel gauge also stopped working :( looked at the connectors etc using the FSM but I think the ball valve inside the tank must have fallen off? Any ideas welcome. We lost a control arm bolt on the bad bad road which was rather alarming. The police helped out with a mostly correctly fitting one luckily :) we had our spare wheel stolen? Fell off? So that's another thing to get. A bolt AND the big washer on top if the front right shock came off - but the nyloc was still on, luckily I brought spares.. the rack punched some dents on the rails after a hard brake and the brackets will be bent back better today, holding though..
We almost lost a mud flap but it's cable tied on nicely now.
Been using a lot of water during the long hot drives, like 1 litre + per day but much better now that we're on more normal roads. Tyres look like they've been through a wood chipper after the long toad :( :( it really hurts taking your truck on these "roads". They're so bad that only trucks are allowed on them, no cars, mini buses or buses. Makes you wonder doesn't it! The cyrix rattled to pieces and is now on my manual "stick a wood block in it after starting" mode but it allows the current through. Alas the inverter gave up yesterday after being coated in dust (that's today's task). I'll take it apart again and hopefully it'll fire up cause we're pretty dependent on it.

Did an engine oil and ATF change in addis which helped us pn the hills. The ATF light's been coming on a lot where we climb 1500 metres in 15 minutes so taking it easy. Also changed the diff oil and found some filings in the rear one!? I'm guessing the plug is magnetised and catches the bits? Looks ok though (pls shout if this a critical). Almost forgot the mew brake discs and brake service was a breeze (compared to splitting the sump lol!) thanks there Ian and Jon. Also Gav, those bolts were a life saver!!!!!! :)

So yes, many things happen on these roads and the above makes it sound all rather simple ;) We've overcome all of the bits within minutes by having the correct parts or a good fix using some creative thinking - a credit to you all for your help once again.

Right now I'm lying in the tent listening to the fish eagles cry after a lovely dinner last night, eaten off a plate with knives and a fork (from the same set). We will, absolutely, upload the blog up to Sudan and then rather post photos of the other countries.. It takes a lot of time writing it all up ;)

So it's the easy road down now with camp site to camp site driving, shorter distances and better surfaces + plenty scuba diving so we're in good spirits!!

Will be in touch soon
Please send us any messages / texts etc, all very much appreciated :) :)
Matt and team

Great to hear from you Matt - sounds like the experience really is becoming an experience but you're dealing with it all in your stride buddy :cool: Off to check out your blog now!!! :mrgreen:

Been checking his blog, Gav. Mailed him the other day to tell him it was rubbish. Honestly, don't know what else has been keeping him busy!

Chris

Is the site down? Can't get in - can someone post up the correct URL please?

HI Gary

Link on his post above seems fine - he has not yet updated the posts by the look of it.

Looking forward to seeing the Photos Matt.

Good luck with the rest of your trip :thumbup:

Back