Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

"booming" noise from engine bay when driving

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
noticed my LC90 sounding a bit noiser than usual at the moment, a kind of "booming" noise. I suspected induction noise, but can't see any splits in air-intake lines
the airfilter box clamps seem tight,
but when vehicle is stationary, and i rev it using the throttle control cable, and hold down on airfilter box, it does seem to lessen the noise a bit

anyone else had these symptoms?
ta

Chris said:
Chris what about the spring thing on the top of the fuel pump that was a winner for lots of people last year from the dark side site ? however that wasn't a booming noise was it !

Nick.

Not on the fuel pump. It's in the foot well and it a squealing sort of noise. It's part of the fuel return You need to tug your man spring a few times to cure it. Sorry, that should have read main spring.

Chris

Chris said:
You need to tug your man spring
At every oportunity :thumbup: :D

While showing a m8 of mine rescently the non-return drain valve in the bottom of my air box he pointed out that the flexi hose to the lid was split :shock: I must have had the lid off of the top of the air box 3 or 4 times over the prior couple of weeks & had my head in the engine bay for hours on end just dribbling over the engine & had not noticed once that the flexi was split so all I'll say is have a good tug on all your hoses :D ;)

Gave Ian Rubie a PM & a new one is winging its way to me as we speak :thumbup:

P8260209.jpg

as follow up - i think its snorkel ducting in the wing - resonating

had a look - removed the side light and underwing plastic and discovered one scary thing - the "boom box" - assembly, factory air-intake box, wasn't properly sealed , at the front end (just behind sidelight) with the pipe that runs through inner wing to airbox...
so glad i didn't go through any deep water recently...
so i used zip-ties to sort that out and some silicone sealant.

put back together - resonating is worse now when i went for a drive - so i will have to have another look and check everthhing is secure in there and add some foam padding to stop the pipe-work touching the wing etc

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You only had to go through all of that because you own a Land Cruiser :D If you owned an LR you would not have hear that noise over all of the others :lol: So you've only got yourself to blame :D ;)

packed some bits of foam block and rubber strip between bits of the "boom box" and the snorkel pipe within wing, much reduced the noise now!

Andy

I had this exact same problem following my snorkel install.

Got better after foam padding etc but now the front fender resonates at certain revs. Only occasionally, but it is still damn annoying.

i also put a block of very solid foam, between inner and outer wings - near lower door hinge - that made a big difference in preventing the fender (wing) resonating

Back