Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Boot Box in my 95

BlackWidow

Garage
Well it has been a long time in coming but at long last I have finished the latest boot boxes for my truck. The metal (12mm box steel) from metal 4 u, which I have to say gave me a fantastic service even down to the delivery driver who carried the order around the block as he couldn't get his artic lorry to my house....bless him. The hardware came from 'In Brass' of Birmingham and the runner came from London.

My criteria was basically to build something that covered the wheel arches to make a solid floor right the way across.

I built it to be removable so that I can revert back to an 8 seater when needed. To this end it is made up of 5 sections of which the base section can stay in and the rear seats will fit on top.

Here is the empty boot. And some of the sections waiting to go in.

PICT0656.jpg

PICT0658.jpg

Here is the right hand wheel arch cover section, this side has all the electrics in it including a fuse box that is accessible from the drivers side rear passenger door. I have used the mounting points for the rear seats as anchor points for the whole system by interlocking the five sections together. The two threaded bar sections will be explained later.

PICT0661.jpg

The left hand wheel arch section.

PICT0663.jpg

So that I can use the dead space I have put in access hatches to allow the use of these spaces.

PICT0664.jpg

PICT0665.jpg

This is the base section that can be left in when the rear seats go in however the wheel arch sections have to come out. The larger drawers have catches on the to stop them from popping open when I accelerate away.

PICT0666.jpg

PICT0671.jpg

PICT0674.jpg

Next to go in are the top sections, the runners in these are rated at 160kg per drawer which means when fully extended I could sit in them without doing any damage. The draw runners are bolted on rather than riveted like the lower ones. The section it self is joined by nut and bolt to the front and bolt and rivnut to the rear. I do not like using rivnuts as a rule but as this is mainly shear forces involved I was happy to use them.

PICT0670.jpg

PICT0675.jpg

PICT0680.jpg

PICT0676.jpg

As part of the locking it all together I routed out the tops (made from 18mm ply) so that it sat inside the frame work of the sections. There are also screws placed to tie the sections together under discreet flaps in the carpet.

PICT0679.jpg

PICT0682.jpg

With the tops put on it is time to put the finishing trim on.

PICT0684.jpg

PICT0685.jpg

PICT0686.jpg

PICT0688.jpg

PICT0690.jpg

Time for the threaded bar......the red and black wire may give it away.....this is for the aux battery, before anyone says that it is not in a sealed box...I know I have some one fabricating a sealed box that meats EU regs for me that will fit in the space using the same anchor points. This battery powers the fridge (when it is fitted) the extra lights and power sockets. I have done a lot of research on charging this battery and have come to the conclusion that all these fancy split chargers are not needed and have opted for a simple on/off charging relay which I monitor from two volt meters on the dash (one for Alternator volts and one for aux battery volts). Oh buy the way the dash pod is home made as well, if anyone is interested i will post a mod for making them.

PICT0687.jpg

PICT0693.jpg

PICT0694.jpg

PICT0703.jpg

PICT0702.jpg

PICT0714.jpg

And finally some pics of the completed boxes, the gap between the seats and the boxes is for a later project. In the gap I hope to put a compressor and a fresh water tank with a tap on the rear door. As some of you have already found there is a lot of empty space behind the rear pannels in the boot that are more than sufficient for housing the pumps and pipe work.

PICT0700.jpg

PICT0699.jpg

PICT0697.jpg

Wow! Now that's taken a pile of thinking time & pondering :)

Looks good :mrgreen:

Wow you have been busy. great work. :clap: :thumbup:

No wonder you havent been on here too often recently dude :p

Great work :cool: How's the family?

Cheers

I really like what you have done over the wheel arches. This is the bit that I haven't figured out what I want to do with yet.

Any particular reason for putting the electrics on the right?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Very tidy Steve but then we wouldn't expect anything less from you :)

That looks really well thought out and executed; nice work! :thumbup: :clap:

Gav Peter said:
No wonder you havent been on here too often recently dude :p

Great work :cool: How's the family?

Cheers

Hi Gav,

The Family are doing well Sophie has just had her first birthday. She is now 76 cm tall and out grown her first baby seat so have now fitted the next MOD......a recaro young sport. Exelent bit of kit. Cow not included :D

PICT0007.jpg

fridayman said:
I really like what you have done over the wheel arches. This is the bit that I haven't figured out what I want to do with yet.

Any particular reason for putting the electrics on the right?

It was just the shortest route. I have run a 200 amp cable from the battery side of my winch electronic isolation switch which is on the right hand side of the bulkhead under the bonnet. As the easiest grommets to get to are just underneath that switch to allow access to the cabin it made sense to keep to right hand side. The cable runs in the electrical conduit that runs front to back under the plastic door thresholds and carpet, loads of space in there for a 200 amp cable. Also using the factory fitted conduit meant that any sharp edges and possible rubbing areas had bean taken care of by Mr T. I did put a bit of armor where the cable ran through the bulk head and where it emerged in the boot.

Also the extra lights that I put in are in the rear door as well as the roof which hinges on the right. And lastly cause I like the easy life, being right handed it was the best place to have the fuses and charge sockets.

Steve

sae70 said:
Wow! Now that's taken a pile of thinking time & pondering :)

Looks good :mrgreen:

You are not wrong there the hardest bit was continually earning enough Brownie points with Mrs N to get out to the workshop and, as she saw it, sit down and do nothing :roll: They just don't understand the engineering process, a lot of thinking has to take place before, during and after construction.

Steve

Yes dear..........

No dear........

Ok just blown this months points. :(

Back