Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake lines ...

Good result all round Grant.

Not so good 40 years ago. No refund and I had to send trading standards in and they emptied a suspension spring shop. I went back for my refund and they beat me up. Was a bit rough in West Bromwich.

Probably what you knew all along Grant... Good result.. And Bigg Red Coming Good:thumbup:
I do wish I had known all along - it would have saved me the £300 buying new ones. As a result though I will have a more or less newly refurbished set of front callipers that I need to work out what to do with.

That seems a tad harsh Frank - I'm glad times have changed!

Bit late to this thread in some ways. I ordered a set of new front calipers yesterday. My old ones were seized on one side. I mean really tight. One pot operating only. Other side was really very free. Truck seemed to stop pretty well though considering. I was swapping my muddies over for my all terrains and noticed play in the bearing. I started to strip it down to do up the bearing when a load of black Russian river water poured out. Bearings were toast. I figured I'd just free off the pistons and stick some new pads in when I found that the pistons wouldn't budge.

I'd have bought your calipers if I'd realised Grant! Still there's always a need for these units. I'm going to rebuild these old ones and stick them on the shelf. But like you say £300 that didn't need spending.

Ahh well Chris - they will either be handy for me in the future for an easy swap over or they will put some money back in the kitty.

Did you go for the callipers from Rough Trax as well or a different source?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I got my new 120 calipers due to stuck lower pistons, got the rebuild kit so I’ll keep the olds as spares. One thing I did notice was, both on the 120 and the 95 ones I also changed, that quite a bit of dirty fluid came out. On the 95 it had had a recent fluid change, but that didn’t seem to have cleared the murky stuff (mix of dirty fluid and water I think) at the bottom of the caliper, same on the 120. A bit of extra hassle, but the next time I change the pads, I might take the calipers off and give them a good flush through.

I went with RT grant as Milner were out of stock and not expected until June!
One side as I said was pretty decent but the nearside was shocking. When I finally got the pistons out, there was actual water in there. Not stuff that had been absorbed from the air, I mean standing water. I must have parked in a river at some point. Oh wait a minute ...

I shall rebuild or maybe end them over to Bigg Red. They're in the dishwasher at the moment having a clean. The bodies were in really excellent condition and frankly the pistons looked like new.

To close this thread off - BR came through with the replacement pistons and the agreed partial refund.

all out a frustrating experience amplified partly by not having enough experience to identify quickly my initial suspicions as fact.

But BR did come through and were great to deal with once the problem was identified.

Last edited:
Back