Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake pedal to floor, unable to bleed?!

Ganch001

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi all,

Fairly new to landcruisers and to the group.

I recently purchased a petrol 100 series on a 1998 reg.

Much work was done to it including suspension, tyres, abs accumulator and it also came with a great history file but the last owner didnt manage to finish the brakes.

Since owning it I've had a garage change affected brake lines that were rotten and leaking and then they tried to bleed the system. They failed with the fronts after having the pedal down to the ground regardless of what they tried including pressure, gravity cleaning out the bleed nipples etc.

The rears have been bled and now I am unable to bleed the front and the pedal is to the ground.
I am pretty sure that the accumulator is operating correctly as when I pump with ignition off and then switch it on it kicks in and times out after around 30 seconds.

I'm thinking techstream but I'm hoping someone near Lancashire or beyond can help me as I'm missing driving it through these winter months.

Any help appreciated

I would loosen a pipe on the master introducing a leak before bleeding the front as usual .

Sometimes the only way to move air is to let more in.

No ,the correct procedure has failed so what i'm suggesting introduces a fault .

Loosen a pipe at the master then try to bleed the brakes as normal . Your aiming to fail but if theres a pocket of air trapped somewhere in the pipework then the fault you introduced should make it move .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nother option is that you have a major leak past a seal in the brake master. This booster-driven master has a double piston and is known to need new seals somewhere after 200 k miles. There is a service kit available.

Clamp all of the rubber flexi hose pipes at the same time. Does the brake pedal go hard?

If yes it does, then the problem is at a wheel station. Release each hose clamp one by one feeling the difference on the brake pedal. If the pedal suddenly travels adversly, then that wheel station has the problem.
If the spongy, excessive travel on the brake pedal remains with all the felxi hoses clamped, the fault almost certainly is in the master cylinder/accumaltor.

Back