Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake Pipe Kit

fridayman

Garage
It looks like I might have to replace a short brake pipe at the front as well as the two long ones that run from the front to the back. Even my Toyo dealer suggested that I shouldn't buy these from Toyo... I can go to the local motor factors, but when they supplied my heating tubes, all they did was cut the lengths and then flare the ends - I had to do all the bends myself. So now I'm thinking I might just buy a brake pipe flaring kit like THIS, or THIS, or even THIS ONE. Does anyone have any experience or advice on these tools / kits?

And how do I put sharper bends in the longer pieces without kinking/squashing the tubing?

Thought I'd better offer a bit of support to your one man thread here :p

I have one of those small pipe benders ET & it worked well on the central heating system I was modifying - vay easy to use :cool:

When I needed a line replacing on Muxley (dropped a 'something' right on the long one that runs across the axle & split it :twisted: ) I took it off & a local garage chap made a new one for me using the old one as a template. It was a remarkably good fit & he only asked a tenner!!! And he loaned me one of those plastic pliers to crimp the flexible - what a dude!!!

But I'd be interested in seeing how one of those kits works out on the last link... If you don't have the crimp pliers already - well worth investing a couple of beer tokens :cool:

you don't need a pipe bender in my experience, 5mm copper tubing bends really easily. All you need is the flaring kit.

yep get decent brake pipe and there will be no need at all

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A tenner seems really cheap! The local factors charged me about £40 for the two heater pipes, and they didn't even shape them.

How do I tell decent pipe from not so decent pipe?

like many things you need it in your hands, you will tell straight away with how flexible it is, rather like natural or silicone :whistle: :whistle:

Of course that all depends on the location of installation of the silicone.

So on the best silicone installs i reckon Brake pipes easier.

I ended up ordering this lot:

5510.jpg

400098.jpg

400088.jpg

Sykes_Pickavant_Deburring_Tool_001.jpg

I also got a roll of copper nickel pipe and an assortment of male/female/connecting/bleeder fittings.

Back