Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake Pipe / Line Specs & any potential upgrades??

Actually Nick..... there's a YouTube video of a guy saying exactly the same thing!

Nick the fish or tother nick?

I replaced the short copper lines on all 4 corners recently after fitting 2 new calipers and refurbing the other 2. The flares are double flares, as opposed to single or bubble flares. Also the treaded unions are metric. I was mistakenly given old imperial size unions by parts shop and they did actually screw on but didn't feel right which got the alarm bells ringing. A few practice runs with a decent flaring tool, which isn't expensive, makes it quite an easy job.:thumbup:

Thanks Towpack...... I think I've now concluded that they are all 'double flare' with 10mm unions, so it's the only the pipe size that I'm only 99% convinced on!

they fit in the important way! the bracket that holds them onto wherever it is ( its been a while) needed filing to get them through it as i recall

Actually Nick..... there's a YouTube video of a guy saying exactly the same thing about the problem with those retaining clips.

3/16 kunifer pipe is what you need, you will get a little bit firmer pedal with braided hoses but if you are working round all your pipes I’d just consider replacing the flexi pipes with like for like and doing a full fluid swap. Also worth taking out your pads, giving them a clean up and refitting helps them slide in the calipers better and firms the pedal
A tip for removing your old metal pipe unions is to just cut the pipe with snips and use a socket with some vice grips on the flexi, just add the union length and 3ishmm on to the new pipe for the flare. You can use a little gentle heat, wire brush and some penetrating fluid on the metal pipe union if you are just doing a flexi, make sure it’s the correct flexi first and you can cut it and turn it if the metal union is seized to the metal pipe, watch it for twisting and you’ll know!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I fitted the braided lines from Roughtrax and they went on relatively easily, the only problem being the OEM steel lines had frozen to the old flexi pipe unions. The spring clips locating the new braided lines were no problem.

Last edited:
I actually got a set of flare nut spanners somewhere Jake, although not seen them a long time!!! but failing that, I agree, it'll be snips and socket.

That's interesting Towpack, I think it just seems to be the retaining clips that can be a problem. Mind you, I'd prefer them to be on the tight side anyway.

I don't know anyone who's not done that at least once....... you soon learn though!
@frank rabbets Question Frank... have you done the brake pipes on your 80?
If so, as I've not had chance to have a proper look yet, do any of the front to rear pipes take any daft routes like over fuel tanks etc?

Back