Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake Pipe / Line Specs & any potential upgrades??

Thanks Andy..... that's the same sort of copper nickel I've been looking at!

I completely forgot about that! :) Don't think I used any engine braking on that joy ride though

The new turbo was because Radu said mine was getting very oily and I may need to do something about it soon. Only just started tinkering with it, much more driveable now :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My first adventure after buying the 80, I spent the week driving a Volvo around Scotland waiting for

Can't believe that Nick!!!!
Skye must be a Jinx!.... when we did our Outer Hebrides trip last July, the nearside front wheel bearing collapsed on the way to Uig - Tarbert Ferry to Harris. Which shouldn't have been a problem, but I then discovered, only one bearing! cant remember which one now, but either the inner or outer bearing was not in my spares box!!
We then had the dilemma of either staying on Skye (effectively on the mainland, so parts readily available) but risk not making further onward ferries OR limping across and risking parts not being on Harris!..... We limped across,
NO parts!! In fact, NO bloody garage!! the only garage in Tarbert had closed down a few months prior. So the 80 had to be lifted to Stornaway, then 3 days for a wheel bearing from Glasgow and 3 days in a hire car!
I learned a BIG Lesson that day..... check your bloody spares kit PROPERLY!!

Last edited:
I digress.......
Anyway, anyone upgraded the brake pipe specs? or is this either not possible or just not worth it?

Happy Days on Harris!

Attachments

• 20210705_090541.mp4
    10.1 MB
Calipers can only take what fluid a standard pipe pumps so material less subject to rust is about the only line upgrade , I'm sure we would all like stainless lines but that kunifer stuff Nick mentions is often proposed to be the best way forward .

Last edited:
IMG_3020.jpg
I drove over the bridge to the mainland and called the AA, then drove half a mile to garage along the road where the Volvo was. After picking it up at the end of the week we went back onto Skye for lunch where the brake flexy hose decided to pop! You want to learn a lesson? Check the most advisories when you buy a "new" car, these were both highlighted....

Based on that Shayne, I think decision made! Everyone seems to have the same view!! Cheers.

LOL.....Nick, that's definitely etched in my brain now!

Last edited:
I haven't read the above posts, so apols if I'm out of sync. I replaced my brake lines a while ago with braided ones and it was a f**king nightmare. I went to HEL who said they could do it, and after waiting for months and loads of messing around they sent them to me and they wouldn't fit, despite them assuring me they would (its a 105 series which might explain why!).

In the end I got them from Australia at considerable expense. I think they came from Road Runner Offroad.

anyway hope that helps

N

I had wondered if anyone had looked at braided, but like you said Nick.... cost is probably the biggest issue!

Tother nick here, Ive got braided ones from roughtrax, they didn't fit perfectly either!

they didn't fit perfectly either!
Being brake lines they should probably either fit perfectly or not at all.... surely. Kinda one of those things where you can't get away with "its only a small leak!!".......

Certainly highlights the importance of looking for the best aftermarket parts.... especially as OEM kit is generally an arm, a leg and a scrote!

TBH the braided lines that I imported have been excellent, and certainly make a difference compared to rubber hoses, so for me they were well worth the expense. Alternatively get some Toyota ones imported on Amayama?

they fit in the important way! the bracket that holds them onto wherever it is ( its been a while) needed filing to get them through it as i recall

Back